Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2007, 03:39 PM   #1

Coupla' Questions from a young Jarhead

986 Forum members,
Hello from Camp Lejeune, NC. I just got back from the big sandbox last week and bought my dream car, a 1999 Porsche Boxster (black) as a welcome home present to myself.

It's been a pleasure to drive; it's surely the best-riding vehicle I've ever been in and does not disappoint in any way. I just have a few questions on some parts:

1. Where would everyone recommend buying clear signals and front turn signal covers? I don't mind using the stock headlights and am just looking for a cleaner look.

2. I'm going to replace my brake pads on my 26 days of leave (starting Friday, woohoo!). What seems to be the best working pad for the price?

3. There's a dark plastic cover missing from what looks to be the motion sensor just to the left of where the the soft top's latch hooks in to the windshield. I have the one on the right side. Any ideas on where I could get the left one?

4. The rear window is very heavily 'fogged'/'scratched'/etc. and I'm looking to replace it when I get the chance. In the mean time, however, is there any 'miracle' cleaner that could restore the vinyl so I can look through it clearly? I don't care how good it looks or anything, I just need to be able to see through it better!

Thanks for the help, fellow Boxster owners.

The Lance Criminal

BoxNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
1. You can get clear side markers from ebay or Suncoastporsche.com

2. Alot of people like Mintec's.

3. That smoked looking alien eye cover is for a motion sensor, Its like 3 bucks at the dealer.

4. There is some stuff listed on the forum for restoring the clarity of the rear plastic window but they arent miracle workers. I went ahead and replaced my entire top cause i own a 97 and a 10 year old top and window are sewn together and very few shops will replace just the vinyl window alone without the Convertible Top Canvas.

Welcome to the forum! Try using the search here and there for some of the more difficult or technical questions because we have detailed instructions here and there and sometimes write-up's, depending on what the issue is.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxNasty

First of all, thanks for serving. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of your new purchase.

Now, as to your questions:

1. Where would everyone recommend buying clear signals and front turn signal covers? I don't mind using the stock headlights and am just looking for a cleaner look.

- You can get clear side marker lights from Suncoast Motorsports or a number of other retailers, and they are not expensive, but the amber color in your headlights will be tougher to get rid of. Clear headlights new, are almost $1000, and the Xenon (litronic versions) are about $1500, so an easy alternative is to perhaps tint the orange part or paint them. Or you can get the covers for the headlights that are sold on Ebay.

2. I'm going to replace my brake pads on my 26 days of leave (starting Friday, woohoo!). What seems to be the best working pad for the price?

- I replaced my pads with Pagid high performance pads, but many have used others like Hawk or Mintex pads, and love them. You can get them from the Board Sponsors here on this board like Epiq, or a number of other internet retailers.

3. There's a dark plastic cover missing from what looks to be the motion sensor just to the left of where the the soft top's latch hooks in to the windshield. I have the one on the right side. Any ideas on where I could get the left one?

- I'd just try your local Porsche parts dept. to have them order the part for you, or you can check out a local dismantler to see if they might have it.

4. The rear window is very heavily 'fogged'/'scratched'/etc. and I'm looking to replace it when I get the chance. In the mean time, however, is there any 'miracle' cleaner that could restore the vinyl so I can look through it clearly? I don't care how good it looks or anything, I just need to be able to see through it better!

- Try some Meguiars Plastic Cleaner and Polisher. The plastic cleaner will take out the scratches, while the polisher will keep it pliable and shiny. Or you can use Plexus to keep it polished after cleaning the scratches.

http://www.carcareonline.com/detail.asp?product_id=10538

The Lance Criminal
Enjoy your Boxster!!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:46 PM   #4

Thumbs up Thanks

Firstly, thank you and your buddies for your service. Guys like you make it easy to be free here so we can enjoy our cars or whatever. Semper Fi !

The previous advice is good. Also check in the archives for previous discussions on the same questions as yours. Stick with the formum and you will learn a lot, believe me I have learned tons since I joined. Party on!

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #5

Ooorah devil dog! Thanks for your service!

For #1, the side markers are easily swappable, and clear ones with amber bulbs can be found on Ebay for about $30 for the pair. Or from Suncoast. As for the actual turn signal in the headlight housing... if it has the amber portion at the bottom... you'd have to replace the whole headlight assembly with a clear one. They're not too cheap. OR, you can get a pair of the Litronics (HID) headlights, which are always clear. Unfortunately, neither option is cheap. A set of clear standard headlights can cost $500. The Litronics are usually around $1400, but can sometimes be found for less.

As far as #4, try some of the products recommended and see how it turns out. If it does clear up a bit, clean and maintain it with a product called Plexus. Replacing it might be an option. You'd want to check with some auto upholstery shops. Find ones that specialize in convertible tops and boat covers. They can remove the top and sew in a new window. I've seen estimates from $300-600 for the job.

Replacing the top is not a bad option. You can find replacement tops with glass windows that will work on 97-02 Boxsters for about $700 (ebay 'boxster top', see the tops sold by topsonline). Again, the upholstery shops can do the install. I'd expect $500-700 for labor.

Also a caution, if you stick with the plastic window top for a while, be careful if the outside temperature is lower than 60-70 degrees. The plastic can get brittle and will crack. Especially when putting it in Service Mode. (ask me how I know)

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #6

These guys have given you all the solid advice you need to get your car squared away.

I just wanted to say Welcome Home, Devil Dog. Thank you for your service.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:08 PM   #7

Welcome to the forum and thanks for all that you have done for us!

Semper Fi

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote