Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 12:10 AM   #1

New to the forum (2003 986)

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. Just picked my boxster up a little over a month ago.
Just wanted to see what you guys think.
Also needed a little help. Recently got the 19 inch fuch style wheels put in but my tire seems to be rubbing in the inner wall. (Inner fender)
Any ideas ?
Before, after.

Ramos0513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #2

Garage
Welcome to the forum! What are the offsets on the new wheels? You probably need some spacers.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Welcome to the forum! What are the offsets on the new wheels? You probably need some spacers.
Excuse my ignorance. But the offset is what measurement exactly ?

Last edited by Ramos0513; 05-18-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #4

Garage
The distance from the center of the rim to the inside bolt surface. The bigger the offset the farther the tire sticks out. You can fix too little offset by adding spacers you can't fix to much offset. The second possibility is tire size.

Here is a link
http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 05-21-2014 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Added a link
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #5

Garage
Aren't 19" Fuch wheel for a 996 or 997 they may be to wide and too much offset.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
Old 05-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
The distance from the outside face of the rim to the inside bolt surface. The bigger the offset the farther the tire sticks out. You can fix too little offset by adding spacers you can't fix to much offset. The second possibility is tire size.
Got ya. I'll measure it in a bit.
But would it make a difference with spacers ? My outer fender is not the problem it's the inner one where it rubs.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Aren't 19" Fuch wheel for a 996 or 997 they may be to wide and too much offset.
I think so. I got a great deal on them so I couldn't pass them up. Now I'm just trying to figure out a way to stop the rubbing. I was thinking maybe going with a lower profile tire. The rear are fine. And front are too. The problem only comes when I do sharp turns.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
The distance from the outside face of the rim to the inside bolt surface. The bigger the offset the farther the tire sticks out. You can fix too little offset by adding spacers you can't fix to much offset. The second possibility is tire size.
They're measured from the centerline of the wheel as an ET . In millimeters .
The smaller number sticks out more. eg. Et25
The bigger number tucks in more . Eg Et35
You can make an et35 push out by adding a spacer to bring the et number down .
There is nothing you can do to bring in an et25 .

Hope this helps .
Ian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #9

And I think the Fuchs are only available for a wide body 997 ?
Have a look on them and there'll be marking showing width and et
Eg 8J et50 or 8J19 et50
Old 05-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian c View Post
And I think the Fuchs are only available for a wide body 997 ?
Have a look on them and there'll be marking showing width and et
Eg 8J et50 or 8J19 et50
I forgot to mention. They are not original Fuchs, I wish they were. But they look just like the real deal. Not sure if the measurements are the same though. Been busy all day haven't gotten a chance to measure it. but will try to get a measurement and a picture in today.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:51 PM   #11

Now I'm home and on my iPad I can you your pics better ,
It looks like the rear is sticking out a good inch past the fender and the fronts look to be just about flush .
I think they're 8s and 11s 997 offset .
You can fit a porsche 5mm or h&r/ruf 7mm on the front to give a little more clearance , but you'll have to be carefull of hitting the fender on full compression if they're not fully rolled .
What size tyres on them and How is the clearance between tyre and lower spring basket ?
Old 05-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Now I'm home and on my iPad I can you your pics better ,
It looks like the rear is sticking out a good inch past the fender and the fronts look to be just about flush .
I think they're 8s and 11s 997 offset .
You can fit a porsche 5mm or h&r/ruf 7mm on the front to give a little more clearance , but you'll have to be carefull of hitting the fender on full compression if they're not fully rolled .
What size tyres on them and How is the clearance between tyre and lower spring basket ?
235/35zr19 for the front
275/35zr18 for the back

It does not rub at all when wheels are straight. It looks like so but it does not.

Problem comes in when I turn.
I was thinking I can just roll the inner fender ? If that's possible or the other option to cut , which I really don't want to do.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:44 AM   #13

I think you must mean 275/30/19 on the rear .
Tire sizes are ok .
If you take the Front wheel off , youll see marks on the inside telling you offset and width (some porsche wheels have this info next to valve stem) and we can work out from there If you can physically move the wheel out with a small spacer , say 5mm .
The problem is the wheel then hitting the wheel arch bodywork .
Another alternative is to loosen the plastic fender-liner and push it in towards the car before re- tightening to give yourself a bit more play .
Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #14

Garage
Your going to have a hard time with 11" wheels on the rear they will hit inside un-spaced. When you space them out probably need 20MM they will rub under the fender unless you roll the bead of the fender all but flat. The front 8" wheel you'll need about 15MM spacer to not rub the inside. This is how I run my front wheels with that size tire. Really suggest you ditch the 11" wheel for 10" wheels and 7 to 10MM spacers.

9 1/2" wheels fit nice on the rear with the 275 tire

Last edited by jsceash; 05-19-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #15

Quote:
I think you must mean 275/30/19 on the rear .
Tire sizes are ok .
If you take the Front wheel off , youll see marks on the inside telling you offset and width (some porsche wheels have this info next to valve stem) and we can work out from there If you can physically move the wheel out with a small spacer , say 5mm .
The problem is the wheel then hitting the wheel arch bodywork .
Another alternative is to loosen the plastic fender-liner and push it in towards the car before re- tightening to give yourself a bit more play .
I'm sorry yes it's 275/35zr19. On the rear
I been so busy haven't had a chance to get any measurements I'm off of work tomorrow I'm hoping I can get this fix then.
And yes pushing the fender in was the first thing I wanted to try maybe with washers.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Your going to have a hard time with 11" wheels on the rear they will hit inside un-spaced. When you space them out probably need 20MM they will rub under the fender unless you roll the bead of the fender all but flat. The front 8" wheel you'll need about 15MM spacer to not rub the inside. This is how I run my front wheels with that size tire. Really suggest you ditch the 11" wheel for 10" wheels and 7 to 10MM spacers.

9 1/2" wheels fit nice on the rear with the 275 tire
You think so? I haven't noticed any problems on the rear that I know off. No rubbing either.
spacers should give me more clearance ? And stop the rubbing ?
That's my last resort . I really like the wheels I'm hoping I can find a way to make it work.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #17

Bear in mind not all spacers are the same .
I'll only ever use top quality spacers from ruf h&r genuine porsche
They must be quality and hubcentric or you'll suffer from no end of wheel wobble problems .
I have plenty of sets and will only use these 3 makes on my p-cars

Going by memory (some are already fitted on my cars and the others are in a box somewhere in my garage) ....
The genuine porsche 5mm and h&r and ruf 7mm are not Hub enteric but are small enough to use the existing hub and have a hole to fix using the existing counter-sunk screw .

The next size up is 14mm hubcentric h&r , 15mm hubcentric ruf , 17mm hubcentric porsche . And these are really "adapters" rather than "spacers" as they bolt on and have studs to mount the wheel to .
Anything I have bigger than that us not suitable in a "normal" 986 scenario .

Note there is nothing around 10mm as around this measurement you're in the grey area between having enough of the existing hub to hold the wheel center and having enough spacer to add a "new" hub .
Although I recall having a set of ruf 10mm hubcentric spacers in my box ..

If I have time on Sunday I'll go hunting in the black hole that is my garage and post pics and confirm everything I've just written from memory

Last edited by Ian c; 05-23-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #18

those center caps look amazing, where did you get them or how did you restore them?
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
those center caps look amazing, where did you get them or how did you restore them?
They came with the wheels when I purchased them. I personally don't like them as much because the color is a bit off from the original porsche logo as they are not original Fuch wheels... But thanks !
Old 05-28-2014, 09:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Bear in mind not all spacers are the same .
I'll only ever use top quality spacers from ruf h&r genuine porsche
They must be quality and hubcentric or you'll suffer from no end of wheel wobble problems .
I have plenty of sets and will only use these 3 makes on my p-cars

Going by memory (some are already fitted on my cars and the others are in a box somewhere in my garage) ....
The genuine porsche 5mm and h&r and ruf 7mm are not Hub enteric but are small enough to use the existing hub and have a hole to fix using the existing counter-sunk screw .

The next size up is 14mm hubcentric h&r , 15mm hubcentric ruf , 17mm hubcentric porsche . And these are really "adapters" rather than "spacers" as they bolt on and have studs to mount the wheel to .
Anything I have bigger than that us not suitable in a "normal" 986 scenario .

Note there is nothing around 10mm as around this measurement you're in the grey area between having enough of the existing hub to hold the wheel center and having enough spacer to add a "new" hub .
Although I recall having a set of ruf 10mm hubcentric spacers in my box ..

If I have time on Sunday I'll go hunting in the black hole that is my garage and post pics and confirm everything I've just written from memory
Sad to say but I am now in the look for some new wheels. I haven't had a chance to order any spacers or anything that could fix my rubbing problem, I wish there were a shop near me where I could try them without having to wait a week or so to get them in the mail so I can try them out. I guess the 19" won't be happening for me... Have to go back to 18" wheels..

Tags
boxster 986 19 wheels