Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2019, 07:00 PM   #1

IPD Plenum - best performance mod?

Does anyone have experience with the LN Engineering IPD Plenum? Is their claim true - best performance mod you can install on a Boxster?

"All 986 Boxster IPD Plenum applications are designed to utilize the larger 74mm Porsche throttle body. The combination of the patented "Y" design of the IPD Plenum combined with a larger TB allow for improved air flow and intake air speed. The IPD Plenum is the absolute single best performance mod you can install on a Porsche Boxster. **Requires upgraded 74mm Porsche throttle body."

DanD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #2

This is similar the the throttle body upgrade some diy. I will be doing this mod next on mine, but its following a muffler change i just an fvd brombacher. Hopefully someone thats has it installed will chime in, but larger throttle body equals more go juice so should be more power. Thoretically.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:40 AM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
For $800 it's not worth it. Just get the 997 Distribution T for around $70 part number 99711041603.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I have a 98 with the 2.5 motor. I already installed the larger throttle body from a 996. I think the T on the 2.5 is the same size as the 3.4 T in the 996. It bolted right up. The throttle body from the 2.5 is the same OD as the 3.4 TB, the ID is the only difference. So what i'm saying is I'm not sure if the IDP would make a difference on my car or not. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make an $800 difference. Maybe on a 2.7 of 3.2 it would?
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:39 PM   #5

Changing the plenum alone probably would net 0 gain, the real increase in power is from the larger throttle body. Was on the fabspeed site the advertised claim for a 986 is 30 to 35 hp, depending on mods. Personally I dont think there is that much to be gained, but they have dyno tables. Also is $1200 if you get the whole set up. Fact of the matter getting much more hp from the 986 is pricey per hp.

My plan is multifaceted, exhaust, plenum tb, software tune, sport cats, software tune adjusted. I think that will get about as much usable hp from bolt ons available, with the exception of better headers. Is it worth the cash, depends on the individual.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:29 PM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Changing the plenum alone probably would net 0 gain, the real increase in power is from the larger throttle body. Was on the fabspeed site the advertised claim for a 986 is 30 to 35 hp, depending on mods. Personally I dont think there is that much to be gained, but they have dyno tables. Also is $1200 if you get the whole set up. Fact of the matter getting much more hp from the 986 is pricey per hp.

My plan is multifaceted, exhaust, plenum tb, software tune, sport cats, software tune adjusted. I think that will get about as much usable hp from bolt ons available, with the exception of better headers. Is it worth the cash, depends on the individual.
This is spot on. Go full tilt on the mods as they complement each other. However with a "Crios" mod on a stock muffler (more sound gain then anything) I felt the most power gain with the full intake system change. I then put headers, secondary cat delete pipes, Borla muffler and felt a power gain, but not as much as the intake change. I do not have a tune done to my car, but calculations shows with all these mods I picked up around 30 HP. Been running this setup since 2015 and I'm very happy with it.

Did all the work myself, so no cost there other then my time. The only headers on the market that will fit a Tiptronic car without mods to the cooling hoses are the NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers and they cost me $1,200 at the time I got them, but they do have cats in them and my main cats where bad, so they where cheaper then replacing them with factory exhaust manifolds with the cats built into them. The Borla muffler sounds good, but the piping seems to be too small. I had to have the ends of the Borla muffler stretched wider so the secondary cat delete pipes would fit into the muffler.

Last edited by KRAM36; 06-05-2019 at 04:34 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #7

Garage
Question if you change the iPad do you have to do a remap?
Rickvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:58 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickvd View Post
Question if you change the iPad do you have to do a remap?
Getting a new iPad will not effect the fuel map.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Getting a new iPad will not effect the fuel map.
Might Depends if your going with a iPad pro or not!
Old 06-06-2019, 05:21 AM   #10

Garage
IPD makes an excellent product that is performance tested. They have done several things which improve air drag internally that the other options do not have. Dimpling the interior, smoother radius's, rear air divider with holes to eliminate opposing side flow oscillation turbulents. I'm not saying any of the other option will not give a noted result. More air in produces more power out. The IPD maximizes all the know problems Boundary air, Oscillation, and radius transitions. The others may improve 2 of the 3 but no other addresses all 3.

Coupled with a good flowing exhaust (full NHP) and remap I was able to keep up with 3.2 Boxster's on track while I was still running my 2.7 2003 motor.

Look at my user image. That is a 2003 Boxster passing a New Cayman GT4 coming off the back straight at VIR, and it is not a one off event I have multiple video's of the same type pass.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 06-06-2019 at 05:27 AM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #11
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
IPD makes an excellent product that is performance tested. They have done several things which improve air drag internally that the other options do not have. Dimpling the interior, smoother radius's, rear air divider with holes to eliminate opposing side flow oscillation turbulents. I'm not saying any of the other option will not give a noted result. More air in produces more power out. The IPD maximizes all the know problems Boundary air, Oscillation, and radius transitions. The others may improve 2 of the 3 but no other addresses all 3.

Coupled with a good flowing exhaust (full NHP) and remap I was able to keep up with 3.2 Boxster's on track while I was still running my 2.7 2003 motor.

Look at my user image. That is a 2003 Boxster passing a New Cayman GT4 coming off the back straight at VIR, and it is not a one off event I have multiple video's of the same type pass.
The IPD Plenum is a nice piece, but it's not worth $800. Maybe if you're racing for money it might pay itself off in 5 years, but those people have already spent thousands of dollars upgrading from a stock engine. The 997 Plenum works great and is worth every penny you pay for it. Just can't say that for the IPD Plenum for normal people on a stock engine.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #12

Garage
The 997 Plenum works great and is worth every penny you pay for it. Just can't say that for the IPD Plenum for normal people on a stock engine.[/QUOTE]

Kram: Are you saying the 997 Plenum is great except for stock engines?
Old 06-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
The IPD Plenum is a nice piece, but it's not worth $800. Maybe if you're racing for money it might pay itself off in 5 years, but those people have already spent thousands of dollars upgrading from a stock engine. The 997 Plenum works great and is worth every penny you pay for it. Just can't say that for the IPD Plenum for normal people on a stock engine.
I think its all opinion on the worth. I think $1200 for a tested engineered mod in a complete kit, is not that bad a price tag. Now the question is an individual question as if its worth it to them.

Point is everyone has different values, and we are a limited market for a seller when it comes to research and development they have to have a ROI.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #14
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I think its all opinion on the worth. I think $1200 for a tested engineered mod in a complete kit, is not that bad a price tag. Now the question is an individual question as if its worth it to them.

Point is everyone has different values, and we are a limited market for a seller when it comes to research and development they have to have a ROI.
How much HP do you think this $800 IPD Plenum is going to give you over the $70 997 Plenum on a stock 3.2 Boxster engine? 1 maybe 2 HP maybe none?

It seems this 997 Plenum has been seen and used a lot for mods as when I bought mine back in Jan 2015 it was only $34 and now it's $70, but still worth every penny at the higher price IMO.

What $1,200 complete kit are you talking about?
Old 06-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #15
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
The 997 Plenum works great and is worth every penny you pay for it. Just can't say that for the IPD Plenum for normal people on a stock engine

Kram: Are you saying the 997 Plenum is great except for stock engines?
No, where did you get that from? I said the 997 Plenum is perfect for a stock engine.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #16

Thanks guys, I appreciate your opinions. Engines to me are fancy air pumps so I tend to agree that more air in, better flow out - always makes a better breather. Seemed to be a big claim - so just wanted to know what others thought. Thanks!
DanD04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:22 PM   #17

Garage
Fact is the IPD flows 15% more air than the 997 stock plenum with a 74 mm Throttle-body. The geometry of the stock 986 and 997 "T" does nothing to manage the turbulent caused by the "T" shape. Where the IPD does.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #18
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
Fact is the IPD flows 15% more air than the 997 stock plenum with a 74 mm
This is FACT?
Can you point me to the independent verification?

15% more air under what conditions?
WOT at 6k? Or, what, exactly?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #19
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
This is FACT?
Can you point me to the independent verification?

15% more air under what conditions?
WOT at 6k? Or, what, exactly?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Say we give him the benefit of the doubt that at some point the IPD Plenum will flow 15% better, most likely at WOT on a modified 3.2 engine. Add 15% to the cost of the 997 Plenum, that would put the cost at $80.50, so where does this $800 become justifiable? Like I said, what HP do you gain from buying the IPD $800 Plenum over the 997 $70 Plenum? You're surly not going to get 15% more more HP with the IPD Plenum over the 997 Plenum and you're paying 1,045% more for that IPD Plenum. Let that sink in a bit 1,045% more then the 997 Plenum?

BTW: The 997 Plenum has an excellent outer radius on it's Y shape, it's not just a T shape.

Does this radius matter? According to Jake Raby it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
No, it doesn't.

The short side radius of the IPD is where the trick is. You can't develop an intake component using a shop vac. If you do, you'll never see that what you are doing is hurting performance, or doing absolutely nothing!

With a pitot tube inserted in the intake where the splitter is installed in this photo will give zero, or very, very little velocity on the flow bench. Why? Because the air is pulled to the short side radius.

Yes, I have direct experience with this.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/944002-alternative-to-ipd-plenum-2.html#post13767949

Last edited by KRAM36; 06-06-2019 at 08:16 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Say we give him the benefit of the doubt that at some point the IPD Plenum will flow 15% better, most likely at WOT on a modified 3.2 engine. Add 15% to the cost of the 997 Plenum, that would put the cost at $80.50, so where does this $800 become justifiable? Like I said, what HP do you gain from buying the IPD $800 Plenum over the 997 $70 Plenum? You're surly not going to get 15% more more HP with the IPD Plenum over the 997 Plenum and you're paying 1,045% more for that IPD Plenum. Let that sink in a bit 1,045% more then the 997 Plenum?

BTW: The 997 Plenum has an excellent outer radius on it's Y shape, it's not just a T shape.

Does this radius matter? According to Jake Raby it does.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/944002-alternative-to-ipd-plenum-2.html#post13767949
The plenum alone isn't where your adding hp gain, you have to include a new larger throttle body. I not arguing one is better than the other, because i cant say, but before you start saying $800 you need to read up on what is needed to get the power gain.

The IPD vendor claims power gains in throughout the whole rpm range with most gains in the mid range.
Fabspeed is now selling the ipd plenums as well, another reputable porsche tuner, so that has to say something.

As i pointed out its a matter of opinion, as for worth.

Last edited by Cunningr; 06-06-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote