Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2017, 04:25 PM   #1

Do I need the triple square socket?

I have an 02 boxster S and am going to change the transaxle fluid. Pelican parts says the full and drain plug are both a 10mm hex socket, but here on the forum I've seen posts about needing the triple square on the 6 speed. So which is it?
If I need one for this I want to get one purchased.

Also where's a good place online to buy the Porsche gear oil?
Thanks

tx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #2

For the S, just the hex.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:53 PM   #3
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx02 View Post
I have an 02 boxster S and am going to change the transaxle fluid. Pelican parts says the full and drain plug are both a 10mm hex socket, but here on the forum I've seen posts about needing the triple square on the 6 speed. So which is it?

Thanks
Sunset Porsche parts is my preferred source for OEM parts.
As for the plug, it is easily visible looking at the transmission from the driver side.
You can just bend over and confirm yourself. or just listen to Steve.

Last edited by Meir; 12-13-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #4

When I went to locate the fill plug on mine ('01 S) I found that it was not located where it was shown in both the Bentley manual and Wayne's 101 Projects book. They show it adjacent to where the drive shaft comes out of the transaxle (close to in inner rubber boot). For me, it was several inches further back on the transaxle casing. I don't know on the '02...YMMV.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:59 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
When I went to locate the fill plug on mine ('01 S) I found that it was not located where it was shown in both the Bentley manual and Wayne's 101 Projects book. They show it adjacent to where the drive shaft comes out of the transaxle (close to in inner rubber boot). For me, it was several inches further back on the transaxle casing. I don't know on the '02...YMMV.
Its because the books cover the 5 speed transmission and only mentions differences between 5 and 6 speed when they remember.

I strongly recommend getting the Porsche repair manual from eBay and the parts listing from the Porsche web site. Checking those often resolves confusing or missing information from the Bentley and 101 Projects books.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Its because the books cover the 5 speed transmission and only mentions differences between 5 and 6 speed when they remember.
There is some truth to this at times, and certainly in this particular case. The Bentley cover does say "Service Manual Boxster, Boxster S." You'd think they could have at least thrown in a sentence mentioning the different location of the plug in the S. That said, this is not a major complaint. In this case it took all of 10 seconds to find it, especially when I realized that it was a 10mm hex, which both Bentley and Wayne DID mention. I think you're probably right with your "when they remember" comment---occasional inadvertent omissions are nearly unavoidable in any publication. In general both books do a good job covering all the 986s, whether 5-speed, 6-speed, or tip.

Between these two books, resources like this forum, rennlist, Pedro, etc, and a sprinkle of logic I've been able to figure out most things I needed to figure out to do the projects I have chosen to undertake.

Last edited by Frodo; 12-14-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx02 View Post

Thanks
The only triple square fastener is a mounting bolt for the six-speed into the bellhousing. I am able to remove it with a different tool I already owned but can't recall what it was. Probably a Snap-On torx .

Last edited by BYprodriver; 12-20-2017 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Tool id
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:56 PM   #8

Suncoast for the oil. It's not cheap, but you'll probably never need to do it again. My 02S was a hex.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote