Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 03:01 AM   #1

Motorsport Air Oil Separator 986 fitting

Hi chaps

I need a little help!

This is for my 986 race car. Usual issues with the AOS blowing oil so I bought the high performance motorsport AOS Pt 996 107 926 00

I've attached 2 photos and I'm guessing we need to make a couple of pipes up to fix the connections as I marked - A to A / B to B

Can anyone confirm this please - no time to get anything else so need to make this work.

jml911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #2

Garage
Yes, you have the inlets & outlets marked correctly. The motorsport AOS in your pic was designed for a 2002-2005 996 is why the pipes are not lining up correctly.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #3

Great - thanks for confirming.
It's not too difficult to make up some connectors and piping. Just hope this solves it once and for all.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #4

At some point I'll post up what we've done to the 986 - it's pretty impressive. We believe it's probably the highest BHP naturally aspirated boxster built on the originally block
Old 04-06-2015, 07:46 AM   #5

Garage
I'd like to see how you install that AOS too!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I'd like to see how you install that AOS too!
No problem. I'll get some photos done later this week. I've not seen anything on the web showing how to do it.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #7

Garage
There is a 987 version available that is much more expensive & made for the revised inlet & outlet like the one you have. It has a big section removed for extra clearance.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:47 PM   #8

id like to install one too,

i had a huge cloud of smoke during my race at sebring.

it scared the **************** out of me and the other racers behind lol
Paseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:24 AM   #9

im debating if i should install the AOS motorsport. I only had one big cloud of smoke during a race.... that's it

comments?
Old 04-08-2015, 11:47 AM   #10

With the higher G's racing its possible you got some oil ingested when the AOS could not keep up.

Its more typical between/after races on startup though.

If you are doing that many G's then you need to think about oil starvation and get one of those auxiliary oil reserves that keep the oil pressurized and feeding the important stuff.

A bigger motor sport AOS sounds exactly what it was designed for, so it could save you from smoking out your race buddies on the track.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseb View Post
im debating if i should install the AOS motorsport. I only had one big cloud of smoke during a race.... that's it

comments?
This can also happen if you overfill your oil. Remember to check it when it is warm.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #12

I've always wondered - if the difference between the two is just the size of the oil reservoir, could somebody mod the original AOS so that is can hold more volume, maybe by adding a piggyback container that joined to the side so that the AOS would not overfill with oil and give it a little more time to exit in the proper way. I wonder if there is even room. Or the hose that takes the oil from the AOS and returns it to the engine - could it be replaced with a longer hose, thereby providing a little extra capacity, maybe just enough to keep the oil from overfilling the AOS.

Just random thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
This can also happen if you overfill your oil. Remember to check it when it is warm.

Mike
Yeah, I have blown the smoke bomb once at the track, in my case I had accidentally filled the oil 1-2 bars over the full line just as you describe. The power cut out of the car (similar to when the TC comes on or when you hit the rev limiter), flashing CEL for a few seconds, reading the code later it was misfires on a couple of cylinders. It was scary.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I've always wondered - if the difference between the two is just the size of the oil reservoir, could somebody mod the original AOS so that is can hold more volume, maybe by adding a piggyback container that joined to the side so that the AOS would not overfill with oil and give it a little more time to exit in the proper way. I wonder if there is even room. Or the hose that takes the oil from the AOS and returns it to the engine - could it be replaced with a longer hose, thereby providing a little extra capacity, maybe just enough to keep the oil from overfilling the AOS.

Just random thoughts.

Yeah, I have blown the smoke bomb once at the track, in my case I had accidentally filled the oil 1-2 bars over the full line just as you describe. The power cut out of the car (similar to when the TC comes on or when you hit the rev limiter), flashing CEL for a few seconds, reading the code later it was misfires on a couple of cylinders. It was scary.
BTW, the fix is simple. Just unscrew the filter canister and dump one 'can' at a time until the level is returned to proper levels.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post

Just random thoughts.

what you can do is take the pipe that runs from your aos to your intake and route it through an afternarket air/oil seperator OR an oil catchcan then back to your intake. this way, if your primary aos fails, you have some pre-warning that something is afoot and can take action before hydrolock, smoke bombs, etc. the other thing to note is that the aos has several iterations as porsche improved the design; make sure you have the latest (latest version is .04, although there is as version for the +03 models that may fit as well ...).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
what you can do is take the pipe that runs from your aos to your intake and route it through an afternarket air/oil seperator OR an oil catchcan then back to your intake. this way, if your primary aos fails, you have some pre-warning that something is afoot and can take action before hydrolock, smoke bombs, etc. the other thing to note is that the aos has several iterations as porsche improved the design; make sure you have the latest (latest version is .04, although there is as version for the +03 models that may fit as well ...).
'03> version connections are very different from original configuration as seen in OP pic.

I don't know if he will be able make it work on his race engine much less a stock 96-02
Old 04-13-2015, 06:31 AM   #16

Well the good news is that the motorsport / race oil separator valve part no: 996 107 926 00 will fit a 986 3.2 engine just fine.

Difficult to show you exactly how we got it to work but it did need a few new pipes and connectors to be made up but it wasn't a big job.

Best bit - it's cured the oil ingestion problem and no more smoke blowing out in left hand corners.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #17

do you need parts/hoses from porsche to install the new AOS?

i had another big cloud of smoke during my race this weekend. I think my oïl level was a little over but still, i want to install one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml911 View Post
Well the good news is that the motorsport / race oil separator valve part no: 996 107 926 00 will fit a 986 3.2 engine just fine.

Difficult to show you exactly how we got it to work but it did need a few new pipes and connectors to be made up but it wasn't a big job.

Best bit - it's cured the oil ingestion problem and no more smoke blowing out in left hand corners.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #18

Pelican has the correct part number- the latest that Radium kindly mentions:
996-107-023-04. They offer a choice of OEM or the much cheaper URO brand.Anybody care to comment on the URO ? It is 1/2 price!
Has anyone got a specific recommendation for a catch can to use and experience of how well it works ? I have used them on other vehicles and found them excellent if you position them intelligently.
There is not much room but wondered if anyone had tried this?Has 12AN fittings.
Pro Series Baffled Oil Catch Can Honda Civic Acura Integra 6 Port Black 12 An | eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:10 PM   #19

Garage
I was talking to a guy with a cayman s at the track a few weeks ago. his solution was to remove the upper vent line and plug the hole at the throttle and the one on the top of the AOS. He said that the AOS was basically just a emissions thing and did not effect performance etc.. so by blocking it off it prevented any oil from getting into the intake and had no negative side effects other than increased tailpipe emissions.
From what I understand about how the AOS works, I think his logic is sound, just not sure I would take the chance on mine without knowing for 100% that it would not harm the engine.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #20

Kiyak,
Interesting story,thanks for sharing.
Logically, you could just put a partial restrictor in that line. That would reduce the quantity of oil that could pass. It would allow fumes to pass as normal. The tree-huggers may prefer that?

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote