Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2015, 07:50 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Kiyak,
Interesting story,thanks for sharing.
Logically, you could just put a partial restrictor in that line. That would reduce the quantity of oil that could pass. It would allow fumes to pass as normal. The tree-huggers may prefer that?
If I was going to do it I would put a shut-off in line of the upper vent line. that way I could just shut it off at the track, and back on for normal driving. beats $800 for the track AOS.

kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:05 PM   #22

Isn't the AOS also there to release crankcase pressure by allowing the venting of mist and separating out its components? Without the AOS to allow the venting, where else would the pressure go?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Isn't the AOS also there to release crankcase pressure by allowing the venting of mist and separating out its components? Without the AOS to allow the venting, where else would the pressure go?
Probably through the crankshaft oil seals (whistling sound) or up past the piston rings.
Remember the M96 engines have a relatively light piston ring pressure compared to older engines - it wouldn't take much positive crankcase pressure to force them back with not very nice consequences.....
Old 05-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #24

Steven,
I agree with you. And you may get a Check Engine Light/fail Smog?
But I think he mean't just for the Track?
That is why I suggested trying:
"Logically, you could just put a partial restrictor in that line. That would reduce the quantity of oil that could pass. It would allow fumes to pass as normal."
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #25

mine is in with the new line

will test it for my race at the glen

putting a new engine filter at the same time, ohh dirty it was
Paseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:29 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Kiyak,
Interesting story,thanks for sharing.
Logically, you could just put a partial restrictor in that line. That would reduce the quantity of oil that could pass. It would allow fumes to pass as normal. The tree-huggers may prefer that?
I'm afraid that would cause a stronger vacuum signal, one of these days I'm going to try & increase the diameter of the connecting hose.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #27

Garage
I think I agree with you guys. might work, but I would prefer not to take the chance.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 04:24 PM   #28

jml - what fittings did you use for A-A and B-B? Even a sketch of what you did would be helpful

G :-)
renn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #29

Good morning, I see this is a very old thread but is the closest in the searches I have read.
My 1998 Boxster base that I bought recently with 9100 miles on it has a Motorsport AOL. The car had 2 owners before me and I stay in touch with the previous owner via text and he said he did not have it installed and his brother who owned the car before him he doubted had it installed either (he has passed so cant ask). Were these ever installed at the factory or dealer? Again the car had 9100 miles on it when I got it. Not complaining just curious, it is a very nice install with hoses looking very OEM.
Thanks a lot.
WhiteyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:46 AM   #30

If you ever get a chance to do detailed photos of the install - tht would make you a hero on this Forum !
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:44 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteyII View Post
Good morning, I see this is a very old thread but is the closest in the searches I have read.
My 1998 Boxster base that I bought recently with 9100 miles on it has a Motorsport AOL. The car had 2 owners before me and I stay in touch with the previous owner via text and he said he did not have it installed and his brother who owned the car before him he doubted had it installed either (he has passed so cant ask). Were these ever installed at the factory or dealer? Again the car had 9100 miles on it when I got it. Not complaining just curious, it is a very nice install with hoses looking very OEM.
Thanks a lot.
Never installed during standard production at factory, I would guess that some dealers did where emission laws allowed it.

pictures would be awesome!
Old 11-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #32

Thank you guys, I’ll post some pics tomorrow or next day. The car came from Illinois regarding emissions. The PO put 5K of the 9100 miles on it, can’t figure why the first owner would have installed it with less than 4000 miles on the car while he owned it?”

WhiteyII is offline   Reply With Quote