Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

Help removing cv joint bolts

I am in the process of removing the engine, and for the life of me, I can't "Loosen and remove the 6 cap head bolts holding the inner CV joints to the differential. "
The rubber boot is in the way. I can't push the boot in enough to get the 8mm hex to fit into any of the bolts.
Any suggestions?

Old 12-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

i use a tool set from Lowes that has a ball type allen head that allows you to angle the tool into the socket head and still get good purchase.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-7-Piece-3-8-in-Drive-Hex-Driver-Socket-Set/3387798
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I just left the e-brake off so I could spin the wheel. I found the easiest position for removal of each to be about 5 o'clock for the drivers (left) side and 7 o'clock for the passenger (right side). Remove the bolt at 5 o'clock, then spin the wheel to get the next bolt to that position.

Last edited by particlewave; 12-15-2016 at 04:53 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #4

The set I used had really long bits that could sneak past the boot. And I think had the ball end too.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #5

You need just a long hex bit and best is a very long ratchet extension. I have a 750mm !/2" extension. Easy to do the cv joint hex bolts.

Hope you have the right tools for the rest of the engine removement.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I just left the e-brake off so I could spin the wheel. I found the easiest position for removal of each to be about 5 o'clock for the drivers (left) side and 7 o'clock for the passenger (right side). Remove the bolt at 5 o'clock, then spin the wheel to get the next bolt to that position.
This is what I do too.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 12-16-2016 at 06:43 AM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #7

Off to Lowes tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #8

The final trick is reassembly
1. the Oeticker clamps- see Pelican for diy
2. zero grease in the threaded holes of the joint at the gearbox end and mild thread locker on the new bolts. You will believe the need when you read what happens when these bolts work loose because of sloppy/greasy re-installation.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:35 PM   #9

....and a retorque check at 500 miles doesn't hurt either....
Old 12-18-2016, 07:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
....and a retorque check at 500 miles doesn't hurt either....
If you install the bolts clean and with a dab of medium LocTite, retorquing them is not only unnecessary, it is detrimental. As we cannot realistically ask a customer to bring every car back in 500 miles, proper installation is critical to prevent a job from coming back on a flatbed.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #11

Garage
Removing cv bolts

Hi , I found the quickest and easiest method was to undo the metal jubilee type clamp on the rubber CV boot. slide the boot back a little way, then you have direct access to the bolts. they are very tight and may need a rattler to undo. Added bonus check CV for grease.
Brian
Tweedboru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 01:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedboru View Post
Hi , I found the quickest and easiest method was to undo the metal jubilee type clamp on the rubber CV boot. slide the boot back a little way, then you have direct access to the bolts. they are very tight and may need a rattler to undo. Added bonus check CV for grease.
Brian
Unnecessary. Use long Allan keys and rotate the axle to expose the bolts. Should not take more than 5 min. per side to disassemble.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweedboru View Post
Brian
It should be an Oetiker clamp or low profile band clamp.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
If you install the bolts clean and with a dab of medium LocTite, retorquing them is not only unnecessary, it is detrimental. As we cannot realistically ask a customer to bring every car back in 500 miles, proper installation is critical to prevent a job from coming back on a flatbed.
Understood.

Given that the my CV boot R/R was my first, and access to a lift is not an issue, I feel it best to check my work!

All was good so perhaps it wasn't necessary but given I'd read a few threads with folks dropping a half shaft, I felt better after the check.