Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2016, 09:44 AM   #21

Garage
It's a lot like this...... How to go from Hero to Zero in under 5 seconds.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pgm8I0B8bY

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
You were expecting maybe an "Attaboy" for coming on to a Porsche enthusiast forum and bragging about how you thrash on your car in a way that it was never intended to be used? Or perhaps you expected a bunch of guys who race their cars responsibly on the track to be impressed with how you endanger the lives of other people that have to share the road with you? Really?

A few years from now, if you survive, you will look back and realize what a dumbass kid you used to be and understand where the people slamming you are coming from. I shake my head at the stupid stuff I did with cars when I was in my teens and I am both lucky and grateful that I survived it.
But in all fairness to him, have you never driven enthusiastically on the public road after your teens? Even if it's with another driver?

Ever?

As much as I completely agree with your post, think about giving him some slack as we've all done it, and some still do. It's good to 'use' the car now and again, take it above 5,000rpm, to keep everything in good shape and lubricated. Unless you live right next to a track, there's no way you could keep that up on a regular basis - and by keep that up, I don't mean drive like an ass either.

I'll give an example. I live close to the Brecon Beacons and, when the weather permits, I take the car up there for a great drive as they're some of the best driving roads in the UK. Clear roads, see for miles around each bend, beautiful scenery - it's very safe. But admittedly on the odd occasion, I will put my foot down a little if the road is clear, the weather is good and the lights turn green on a junction. I'd never 'race' someone more than the first few seconds of this, and straight line speed on a motorway does nothing for me and is plain dangerous. I've never driven like an idiot, not even in my teens. I've owned a few performance cars and have done the fore-mentioned reasonable spirited driving many times - I've never had an accident or put anyone to risk.

The only difference between myself and this guy is that he told us about it, and damaged his car in the meantime. That didn't help, but there's no proof here that he drives like an ass, or is a 'dumbass kid'. He just put his foot down on this occasion and cocked up.

Again, not slating your post at all and your point is 100% valid, but cut him some slack. We've all been there.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 01-11-2016 at 09:54 AM.
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
But in all fairness to him, have you never driven enthusiastically on the public road after your teens? Even if it's with another driver?

Ever?

As much as I completely agree with your post, think about giving him some slack as we've all done it, and some still do. It's good to 'use' the car now and again, take it above 5,000rpm, to keep everything in good shape and lubricated. Unless you live right next to a track, there's no way you could keep that up on a regular basis - and by keep that up, I don't mean drive like an ass either.

I'll give an example. I live close to the Brecon Beacons and, when the weather permits, I take the car up there for a great drive as they're some of the best driving roads in the UK. Clear roads, see for miles around each bend, beautiful scenery - it's very safe. But admittedly on the odd occasion, I will put my foot down a little if the road is clear, the weather is good and the lights turn green on a junction. I'd never 'race' someone more than the first few seconds of this, and straight line speed on a motorway does nothing for me and is plain dangerous. I've never driven like an idiot, not even in my teens. I've owned a few performance cars and have done the fore-mentioned reasonable spirited driving many times - I've never had an accident or put anyone to risk.

The only difference between myself and this guy is that he told us about it, and damaged his car in the meantime. That didn't help, but there's no proof here that he drives like an ass, or is a 'dumbass kid'. He just put his foot down on this occasion and cocked up.

Again, not slating your post at all and your point is 100% valid, but cut him some slack. We've all been there.
I appreciate it geraintthomas. I did put some info out there others would have left out, but that's how it happened, sad to say but mistakes happen. Didn't know I'd get this much insults about it. No one was in harms way, i could see at least a mile behind and in front of me, no on-ramps coming up either.

So this is pretty much play by play how i was shifting;
doing 60-63 in 6th
rev matched and dropped it to 3rd
about 6k rpm and shifted into 4th and thats where things went wrong.
I believe i didn't engage the clutch fully before shifting into 4th, and now it doesnt want to go into any gears without excessive force. Thus why i need a new clutch/fly setup. For nice weather long drives, and occasional track use.

Last edited by Dubaday; 01-11-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #24

Garage
For a bone stock Boxster, go with a stock clutch and I personally recommend a dual mass flywheel unless you like metal clacking sound from your transmission. A sprung clutch will reduce clacking but the dual mass eliminates it. I think the gain from a single mass flywheel is not worth it. I had one in my 3.6 and took it out. sitting at stop lights with your car sounding like pieces are going to fall out from underneath gets old very fast.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:05 AM   #25

If it helps I had an Exedy clutch for my last Celica T-Sport, but was an OEM replacement and wasn't a Stage 1. Even so it was phenominal, brilliant pedal feel with a fantastic bite. I'd recommend it

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
Old 01-11-2016, 01:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
Any time you want to go on a track you let me know girlfriend, but street racing is irresponsible, dangerous and stupid, so if that is no fun at parties then yeah, I'm a buzzkill.
I could make the same argument about tracking. Going to the track is dangerous and stupid. Every single event I have been to there has been at least one person who has wrecked their car in some fashion. In fact, one car spun directly in front of me at Summit Point in turn 10. He put my life in danger!!! Last year an instructor died.

Technically, we are all, as you said, "irresponsible, dangerous, and stupid"! We bought sports cars! We all have driven them aggressively in some form. Driving fast around a turn is equally "irresponsible" as launching a car from a traffic light.

Driving aggressively in any situation is dangerous! And you put in a 3.6L engine! Why do you need to go faster?! Not safe, man! Not safe at all!

It's funny how you associate drag racing as a manhood issue, yet you think tracking a car is different. Smh

It's not that you are a buzzkill at parties. It's just that you are a hypocrite!
Prelude Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:47 PM   #27

Garage
Prelude Guy, going to the track, you sign a waiver. Every party there knows exactly what they are getting into. When you decide to do the same stupid BS on a public road, you're taking everyone else's lives in your hands and the only two people consenting are the two idiots dragging.

Don't compare apples to oranges dude, entirely different. Especially since going to the track is a legal and responsible way to enjoy the car, while stoplight drag racing is illegal and irresponsible. Enough said.

Last edited by jdraupp; 01-11-2016 at 01:50 PM.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #28

The guy didn't ask for someone to tell him how to drive. He asked about his clutch. I applaud the members who excercised the self restraint and civility to stick to the topic.
luckyed7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #29

Garage
Prelude Guy,

Track days:
1. Legal
2. Sanctioned events (PCA, SCCA, 24 hrs Lemons, Chumpcar etc.)
3. Educational with path to professional licensure
4. Held at facilities designed for high speed driving
5. Marshalls control events
6. Fire & Safety Crew on hand
7. Emergency Medical Personnel on hand
8. Communication system in place
9. Limited access to track for pedestrians & animals
10. Many schools exist to help drivers perfect their skills

I am not even going to bother to contrast street racing to this list as it is obvious and a waste of time. As to your inference that we all break the law the reality is I drive my bright ass yellow 3.6 Porsche in a more responsible fashion than my daily driver because everyone in my neighborhood knows who's car it is, it sticks out like a sore thumb and I am a cyclist and I know what it is like to have idiots drive by you at a high rate of speed and I don't wish to be "that guy."

Every place you go you are in someone's neighborhood, there is no place where people want you to drive by their house at high speed. Some people have a thing called self control because we have lived through events that have taught us to curb our testosterone and act in a manner that is not injurious to ourselves or people around us.

If you have so much mental struggle that you cannot control yourself and your vehicle in a safe and legal manner then I suggest you sell our car immediately before you hurt yourself and or someone else.

Last edited by landrovered; 01-11-2016 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered View Post
Any time you want to go on a track you let me know girlfriend, but street racing is irresponsible, dangerous and stupid, so if that is no fun at parties then yeah, I'm a buzzkill.
This isn't Georgia so I won't be your girlfriend. Flattered though. I guess.

Last edited by CHRISP357; 01-11-2016 at 06:14 PM.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post
negativity here is unreal. thanks a alot
Not really, just a few mouthy old losers who are terrified of human interaction but thrive in the anonymity of forums. Ignore them and they'll go away. Fix your clutch and go find that Maserati!
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #32

Garage
I'm 18 and I'm as much of a buzzkill as the others here. Stop endorsing showboating and irresponsible driving.

I drive my car quick and enjoy it as most others here do but I respect the car and the others around me. Yes I speed. Yes I speed a lot sometimes but you'll never see me racing, dumping the clutch, etc. that's not even what the car is made for.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #33
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
I'm 18 and I'm as much of a buzzkill as the others here. Stop endorsing showboating and irresponsible driving.

I drive my car quick and enjoy it as most others here do but I respect the car and the others around me. Yes I speed. Yes I speed a lot sometimes but you'll never see me racing, dumping the clutch, etc. that's not even what the car is made for.
Unfortunately Jake, you are the exception, not the rule for people 18-25
Why do you think the insurance companies charge more for men (boys) under 25?

As far as tracking your car vs street racing, one is accepted risk with safety rules and procedures in place and the other is just irresponsible and dangerous

Look what happened to Paul Walker when the moron driving the car did stupid things on city streets
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyed7711 View Post
The guy didn't ask for someone to tell him how to drive. He asked about his clutch. I applaud the members who excercised the self restraint and civility to stick to the topic.
Wash, rinse and repeat. "Just sayin' "

At the same time, to stay in the spirit of things, does anyone know the URRL for the "Bloviating Gasbag Forum"??
luckyed7711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:15 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyed7711 View Post
Wash, rinse and repeat. "Just sayin' "

At the same time, to stay in the spirit of things, does anyone know the URRL for the "Bloviating Gasbag Forum"??
Quoting yourself?
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:48 PM   #36

Wow. I completely forgot I signed up to ProtentiousPolice.co.uk.

This has gotten out of hand. Could people stop comparing him to street racing and do two things. 1. Look at what he said. He put his foot down for a matter of seconds. 2. We've all done it. Stop talking as if it's some sort of taboo subject, we've all done it and, like I've mentioned in my previous post, some still go out for a spirited drive. He put his foot down for a few seconds against another car on empty roads and everyone calls him an idiot. Simmer the f**k down lads.

Stay on topic and give the guy a break.

Last edited by geraintthomas; 01-12-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #37

Oh and no one else is endorsing driving like an idiot. Look at the facts and look at people's responses. It's pretty disgusting as a community to be this harsh over this small of a matter.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:02 AM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
This isn't Georgia so I won't be your girlfriend. Flattered though. I guess.
Damn and I thought you had such a purdy mouth.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:34 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
So this is pretty much play by play how i was shifting;
doing 60-63 in 6th
rev matched and dropped it to 3rd
about 6k rpm and shifted into 4th and thats where things went wrong.
I believe i didn't engage the clutch fully before shifting into 4th, and now it doesnt want to go into any gears without excessive force. Thus why i need a new clutch/fly setup. For nice weather long drives, and occasional track use.

I've botched a few aggressive shifts in my day, but never broken anything. All judgement aside- are these symptoms indicative of a blown clutch or a transmission issue? If the clutch is gone- one botched shift didn't do the damage- did it?
Old 01-12-2016, 07:39 AM   #40

It's possible, as I did exactly the same thing.

Years ago with my old Celica T-Sport at the Brecon Beacons, I was pulled over and decided to see how the car would set off with quite a harsh launch. Needless to say I didn't do it again as it slipped in a few gears for about 10 minutes later, and about an hour later I had to engage gears with a huge amount of force.

The thrust bearing was the culprit, but they obviously come as part of a clutch kit and is part of the procedure in changing a clutch. Basically what's happening is that the clutch isn't releasing all of the way when it should when your foot is pressed down.

To test this, go on a flat piece of road and put it in first. With your foot on the clutch, the car would creep forward ever so slightly (or stay still on a slight slope). When you take it out of gear, the car would return back to normal (or start rolling backwards on a slope).