View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 09:52 AM   #22
geraintthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
You were expecting maybe an "Attaboy" for coming on to a Porsche enthusiast forum and bragging about how you thrash on your car in a way that it was never intended to be used? Or perhaps you expected a bunch of guys who race their cars responsibly on the track to be impressed with how you endanger the lives of other people that have to share the road with you? Really?

A few years from now, if you survive, you will look back and realize what a dumbass kid you used to be and understand where the people slamming you are coming from. I shake my head at the stupid stuff I did with cars when I was in my teens and I am both lucky and grateful that I survived it.
But in all fairness to him, have you never driven enthusiastically on the public road after your teens? Even if it's with another driver?

Ever?

As much as I completely agree with your post, think about giving him some slack as we've all done it, and some still do. It's good to 'use' the car now and again, take it above 5,000rpm, to keep everything in good shape and lubricated. Unless you live right next to a track, there's no way you could keep that up on a regular basis - and by keep that up, I don't mean drive like an ass either.

I'll give an example. I live close to the Brecon Beacons and, when the weather permits, I take the car up there for a great drive as they're some of the best driving roads in the UK. Clear roads, see for miles around each bend, beautiful scenery - it's very safe. But admittedly on the odd occasion, I will put my foot down a little if the road is clear, the weather is good and the lights turn green on a junction. I'd never 'race' someone more than the first few seconds of this, and straight line speed on a motorway does nothing for me and is plain dangerous. I've never driven like an idiot, not even in my teens. I've owned a few performance cars and have done the fore-mentioned reasonable spirited driving many times - I've never had an accident or put anyone to risk.

The only difference between myself and this guy is that he told us about it, and damaged his car in the meantime. That didn't help, but there's no proof here that he drives like an ass, or is a 'dumbass kid'. He just put his foot down on this occasion and cocked up.

Again, not slating your post at all and your point is 100% valid, but cut him some slack. We've all been there.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 01-11-2016 at 09:54 AM.
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote