Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #1

HOW BAD Am I SCREWED

So as I was changing out the oil fill tube that bolts to the engine A piece of the plastic lip chipped off,..Iam sure its now in the engine with no way to retrieve it,is it possible it could work its way straight to the sump..or most likely wedge it self somewhere,Its about 3/4 " long and about 3/16 wide. Thanks..Frank

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
So as I was changing out the oil fill tube that bolts to the engine A piece of the plastic lip chipped off,..Iam sure its now in the engine with no way to retrieve it,is it possible it could work its way straight to the sump..or most likely wedge it self somewhere,Its about 3/4 " long and about 3/16 wide. Thanks..Frank
You could do an oil change. That may help flush it down into the sump. If it finds it's way to the sump I am guessing you will be ok.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #3

Yea Thats my only hope..at least it was plastic and not a bolt !! due that its so brittle maybe it will just break up
Old 03-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Yea Thats my only hope..at least it was plastic and not a bolt !! due that its so brittle maybe it will just break up
Too big to get past the oil pickup tube screen.

Dry sump... it'll find a way down into the bottom of the engine and sit there forever. No worries

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:15 PM   #5

Thanks Qingdao,..Iam sure hoping so,..I dont know the engine layout very well I have been aggravated for a full 24 hrs.I guess once it gets by the crank cage if it does , But I'am feeling better about it,. because I cant do anything about it Now anyway.. Thanks !!! Frank

Last edited by flmont; 03-29-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:54 PM   #6

You cant see it at all? Most likely it gets the sump at some point, but boy that would make me paranoid.

This is in no way a dry sump motor btw
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:00 PM   #7

It will likely just find its way to the bottom of the sump and stay there. Plastic should do no harm.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:53 PM   #8

Hey Quad, No as I wiggled it out of the opening I had to twist and pull on it, when it popped out it hit the side of the case , didn't think to much about it until I looked at the O ring to check the thickness of the new one...and then I noticed it was snapped off...I do feel much better about it all..Thanks to all for the info. !!! Frank
Old 03-30-2020, 06:25 AM   #9

Garage
It should just land on the crankshaft carrier & fall in to be ground up.

I would try to get it out with a pick-up tool 1st. If that fails drive it for a while & hopefully it will either fall into the oil sump area or get ground into little bits & fall down more till it stops in a less busy area. Regardless after you drive it remove the sump plate to see what you find there.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #10

https://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-61839.html?_br_psugg_q=camera

You may be able to see it with a camera (see above) and then use something like this (see below) to grab it.

https://www.amazon.com/HARDK-Claw-Magnetic-Pick-up-Flexible-extension/dp/B07C3H7JH1/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=flexible+grabber&qid=1585586784&sr=8-3

Or just start the motor and hope it falls down t the sump or grinds up easily.
lmnsblu355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:21 AM   #11

If you place the end of a shop vac to the hole you may be able to suck it out. Make sure you clean the canister out first so you can spot the part easily. Works great on retrieving jewelry dropped down a sink.
Hudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:51 PM   #12

Hudy I did try a hand held vac with a long nozzle but I think it already fell in to far,..lmnsblu355,..The camera is a good idea but I don't own one ..So Iam hoping it falls to the pan I will ck that as soon as it actually runs..now waiting on fuel injector inspections !! Thanks Guys appreciate it !