Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2014, 01:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986_c6 View Post
Unless you are tracking the car or autoxing really hard, the type of rotors for the streets do not make that much difference imo. The pad material is most important. Hawks are good pads to the OP.

Like another poster said, for the rain, I always "pre-bed or pre-brake" a couple of seconds sooner than I normally would to wipe the layer of water off of the rotor/pads. Never had any issues with hard rain stopping.
Not really looking to go full track car or anything but I do intend on hitting the track a few times this summer since there are a couple close to me and an AutoX event as well.
I ended up picking up a set of black high carbon rotors for the front(since it sees most of the action) and some cross drilled/slotted for the rear(for looks ). Another thing was I ended up not getting the HPS pads and instead ordered the Stoptech Performance pads(all around). A few friends of mine swear by them over HPS's so I thought I'd give them a try, and the $60 for each set that I saved contributed to the stainless steel lines.

Top_Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #22

Garage
I replaced my rotors and pads a few weeks ago and I admit I like the look of drilled rotors. I found these on Ebay:
Porsche Boxster 01-03 Zimmermann Drilled Cryogenic F+R eBay item number:170686225136
Zimmerman Z-coat rotors drilled by DRT and cryogenically treated for a little over $400. I thought it was a pretty fair deal, and so far they look and work great! I wasn't originally looking for cryogenically treated, but I figure the added strength may help reduce/eliminate any cracking. They have other listings for other years. Might be worth a look. Good luck!
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:00 PM   #23

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_mota View Post
Not really looking to go full track car or anything but I do intend on hitting the track a few times this summer since there are a couple close to me and an AutoX event as well.
I ended up picking up a set of black high carbon rotors for the front(since it sees most of the action) and some cross drilled/slotted for the rear(for looks ). Another thing was I ended up not getting the HPS pads and instead ordered the Stoptech Performance pads(all around). A few friends of mine swear by them over HPS's so I thought I'd give them a try, and the $60 for each set that I saved contributed to the stainless steel lines.
Sounds like a great setup! And very smart with the ss lines. That is one of the first things I do with all of my cars--->goodridge, I swear by these!:dance:
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #24

I have never seen proof of any mfg. with cast holes in the disc on mnay forums. Brembo also states that casting would have no service life benefit over drilled holes. Post #12 of this link has some interesting information.

Porsche Rotors
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #25

Garage
My question kinda falls into this thread so I'll revive it.

I have almost 100k on my car and it is probably due for some new rotors. I don't track my car. Actually, I don't really even beat it up too much. Guess I'm getting old. Anyway, I found these and they look really pretty. I have no issue with admitting that I want my brakes to perform, but I want them to be pretty too.

Brake Rotors Front Rear Kit Powersport Drilled Slotted Ceramic Pads BZ00140 | eBay

While I don't beat up my car, I don't want a piece of junk installed either. I guess my question is has anybody heard of these guys and are their parts any good? I looked online and haven't found anything specifically negative about this brand. Just a bunch of people complaining about drilled vs. slotted vs. blank.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #26

Garage
I don't know about Powersport.
When I replaced mine I called Jason at Paragon. Great product and price.
8 track days so far and no problems.
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #27

Think solid, not blank.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #28

Garage
The only cracked rotors i have had (twice) have been on solid/blank rotors. One on an Alfa which gained a significant crack from the outside egde to about an inch. the other on a Range Rover.

Solid, unvented discs/rotors dont dissipate heat so well and heavy driving can cause the rotor to distort. also can happen after heavy breaking and holding on the brake as the pad to rotor contact will give different heat dissipation to the rest of the rotor.

Personally , I would go with OEM or spec of better. The Boxster has cross drilled venting on the 3.2 and I've never had a complaint with the brakes or the braking pad and disc wear has been good too. I see no reason to adjust what works.

On the later range rovers, they are vented but slotted and cross drilled are not a good way to go as an off roader, they can trap dirct, grit and debris, scoring the rotor/surface and reducing braking effect. I had a BMW 325IC once that brakes were poor on, i changed them out for brembo cross drilled vented and slotted with a slightly softer pad it stopped on a dime and gave great hot performance.

there is no one size fits all on solid/blank/vented/cross drilled/ grooved it really depends on the car, but with brakes for road / hard road use, OEM spec does the trick. if it didn't they would be opening themselves up for all kinds of liability suits.
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #29

High Carbon rotors

Centric High Carbon Rotors Brake Rotors for your 2000 PORSCHE BOXSTER (986 Model) Except S Type - TopBrakes.com
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #30
Need For Speed

Garage
I was looking at those, but they are not for the S model. I ran across this website saying that these rotors for the S model by the same company are High Carbon Rotors. Not sure about that?

1999-2008 Porsche 911 Brake Rotors - Centric 128.37034 - Centric Premium High Carbon OE Design Cross Drilled Brake Rotors

Of course you can get them cheaper on eBay, but no mention of them being High Carbon Rotors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Centric-Brake-Rotor-128-37034-/111047630513?hash=item19daf45eb1&vxp=mtr

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-23-2015 at 06:33 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:02 PM   #31
Certified Boxster Addict

I use these reasonably priced rotors ($64 front and $59 rear) and they work fine. Your choice of slotted/drilled or drilled only. They sell solid rotors for even less ($48 front and $53 rear).

1999 Porsche Boxster Street Series Cross Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors | Cquence.net

http://www.cquence.net/porsche-boxster-1999-oe-replacement-brake-rotors.html
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:03 AM   #32
Need For Speed

Garage
I'm curious about this one. The listing states that it's only for a 2008 Boxster S and Cayman S, while everyone else show the rotors of a 2008 Boxster S are the same as 2003 Boxster S. What would be different on these rotors that they can only be used on a 2008 Boxster S?

Front Rear Kit Black Hart Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors Ceramic Pads C2553 | eBay

This seller states the rotors work on 2000 to 2008 Boxster S.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Boxster-S-Iron-00-08-Brake-Rotors-Ceramic-Pads-Front-Rear-/321733371984

Centric shows the same part number for both cars too.

http://www.centricparts.com/products/hcr

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-24-2015 at 12:14 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:32 AM   #33

Garage
I went ahead and pulled the trigger for those cheap ones. Year warranty for warping and they appear to have a lot more favorable ratings than negative. If they last me a year and then go to crap, then lesson learned (cheaply) and I'll be smarter about it next time. I didn't buy the kit with the pads through. I couldn't figure out who the manufacturer was for those so I'll pick those up locally or through Pelican. Guess I'll report back in in a few weeks with fancy pictures and then in a year to report on what I think of them.

Now I need to find that article about how to break in new pads/rotors.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #34
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
The brakes I ordered just came in today. Front and rear drilled with ceramic pads. The set even came with new pins, clips and springs. I'm waiting on the new caliper bolts I ordered from ECS before I do the install. The rotors look to be good quality. I guess i'll find out after I install them. Total cost including shipping was $211. For that price I figured i could just put the old ones back on if they suck.

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 12:04 PM   #35

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
The brakes I ordered just came in today. Front and rear drilled with ceramic pads. The set even came with new pins, clips and springs. I'm waiting on the new caliper bolts I ordered from ECS before I do the install. The rotors look to be good quality. I guess i'll find out after I install them. Total cost including shipping was $211. For that price I figured i could just put the old ones back on if they suck.

Seems a shame to get them all dirty !
Old 04-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBeerToad View Post
Now I need to find that article about how to break in new pads/rotors.
about 75 miles without any hard/heavy braking.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:39 PM   #37
Usercpy

Garage
Anyone know if there is weight difference from OEM rotors?
Old 04-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #38
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeching View Post
Anyone know if there is weight difference from OEM rotors?
I will weight them when I do the brakes.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:55 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
about 75 miles without any hard/heavy braking.
This was the article I remember.Instructions for bedding in your brakes

It doesn't say anything about ceramic pads specifically. Perhaps some more research will be necessary.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #40
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
The brakes I purchased came with instructions for bedding the pads.