Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #21

Yes, it does but good reminder.

I did have a funny occurrence while waiting for the bubbles to subside. I thought, hey I should probably pump the pedal, because you normally do that when bleeding a hydraulic system.

I stuck a leg in the car and touched the pedal and it went "thump!" and hit the floor. I couldn't pull it up with a few pounds of force, so I shut the bleed screw, depressurized the pump bottle and then I was able to pull the pedal up and start the process again.

A bit of a "note to self" moment.

flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
Anyone anyone, Buehler?
Clearly, using said product, while matching the colour of your car, will mean you are not following others and thereby, 'on your own'. Let us know how it works out for you...

Last edited by woodsman; 08-04-2014 at 11:29 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
Yes, it does but good reminder.

I did have a funny occurrence while waiting for the bubbles to subside. I thought, hey I should probably pump the pedal, because you normally do that when bleeding a hydraulic system.

I stuck a leg in the car and touched the pedal and it went "thump!" and hit the floor. I couldn't pull it up with a few pounds of force, so I shut the bleed screw, depressurized the pump bottle and then I was able to pull the pedal up and start the process again.

A bit of a "note to self" moment.
Oh, you mean you didn't have an assistant pump the pedal and hold it down before you opened the bleed screw?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
Mine is the "109" with the aluminum cap.

Steved,
I considered the possible induction of air at the bleed screw, so I was opening it just enough also. I kept it up until I got zero bubbles.

My clutch functions well, or well enough. Now I'm casting a glance at the shift linkage. Lots of adjustments needed.
My shifter is kind of floppy and imprecise too and sometimes when I go 2nd to 3rd it kind of bogs down. I have order a 997 shifter and when I put that in, hopefully it will improve due to the new bushings and new fasteners in the shifter.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #25

Veering off track

I know we started bleeding hydraulics and now were into mechanical linkage so I must pose a question. Is the 997 shifter an improvement ? ? is it a drop in ??, I see no real reason for the short shifter ?? ...if so enlighten me please.

Thanks

Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
I know we started bleeding hydraulics and now were into mechanical linkage so I must pose a question. Is the 997 shifter an improvement ? ? is it a drop in ??, I see no real reason for the short shifter ?? ...if so enlighten me please.

Thanks

Dwight
It is a drop in, and it is supposedly an improvement for a couple of reasons.

It is a 15% shorter throw than the stock 986 shifter.
It will have new bushings, which can help keep the shifter from being sloppy in side to side motion.
It comes with new cable ends and that clip on, and the inside pieces can wear down can cause sloppy shifting, or sometimes even breaks completely.

Note that I said supposedly I am getting mine because another guy in town got one on his 1999 996 and he loves it, and it got me sold If some of the sloppiness goes away it will be a bonus
Old 08-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #27

Sounds like it is in my future

Is there a turn key kit ? or a parts list to buy ?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #28

short shifters are not a necessity, just a personal preference. if you decide to get one, the $40 - $50 ones on e-bay are great, and a quarter of the price of anything else. an exact copy of the b&m, and swaps the cogs great. shift effort is increased but the throw is reduced by about half.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Is there a turn key kit ? or a parts list to buy ?
This is the one I got/am getting (it has shipped but not yet arrived)

99742401000 - Gearshift Bracket For Manual Transmissions - ES#1499714

There are other kits that include just the inner part and you reuse the outer part from ebay and other places. Do a search on short shifters here and you will learn more than you probably wanted to know about shifters. ��
Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 PM   #30

Thats looks to be just the bracket and not the actual shifter ?
Old 08-05-2014, 02:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Thats looks to be just the bracket and not the actual shifter ?
That is the shifter assembly.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
If you open the bleed screw too far bubbles can get sucked in through the threads and make it look like you have tons of bubbles which never end. I always open it just a tiny bit by bit until the fluid starts to flow.
That's funny, I got exactly the opposite result.

My kid got a lift put into one of the bays of his garage a couple weeks ago and invited me to use it whenever he wasn't. So, pretty much right off the bat I took him up on it (since my brakes/clutch haven't been flushed in forever).

I used the Motive pressure bleeder (works wonderfully), and as I opened the first valve I got lots of air. "Ok, not that abnormal I guess, it'll stop soon" I thought. A minute later the string of air bubbles continued. My kid tells me to open it wider, that the brake lines in his car pass air bubbles unless he ups the flow. So, I took it from 1/4 turn open to 1/2 turn. Don't exactly understand it, but the bubbles disappeared pretty much immediately.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #33

What size clear tubing do I need for bleeding the brakes on my 02 base? I found 13/16” mentioned in a thread and I wanted to confirm if this is the correct size.. Thanks!
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:35 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdelorenzo View Post
What size clear tubing do I need for bleeding the brakes on my 02 base? I found 13/16” mentioned in a thread and I wanted to confirm if this is the correct size.. Thanks!
Assuming you're talking about inside diameter, that should be right. I'll put it this way: that size is what worked well in my '01, so I'm reasonably sure it'll work in yours.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:34 AM   #35

13/16 seems pretty big....... maybe 3/16?

-Eric
Eric-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:40 AM   #36
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-986 View Post
13/16 seems pretty big....... maybe 3/16?

-Eric
Yeah, 13/16 is like 3/4 of an in! 3/16 or 1/4 makes more sense.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:36 AM   #37

Great. As always, thank you forum members. I have everything ready to p/up @ Pelican but it looks like a trip to Home Despot is in order for the tubing.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #38

Ha! That's funny. Having just done this, I knew the answer was 3/16". My eye just skipped right over the '1'

Yeah, 13/16" tubing could get pretty messy..