Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 11:24 AM   #41
San Diego Boxster

Garage
My trans is from a Base 1998 and has the main seal as part of the throw out bearing guide tube. Does anyone know the Torque Values for the three screws that hold the guide tube? I can't locate then anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
On a 6 Speed… Instructions say to drill a hole and insert a drywall-type screw and then, using prybar/pliers you can extract. I found that part to be true.

The tricky part was putting the transmission seal back in! Make sure you get it in FAR ENOUGH! If you are replacing the Throwout Bearing guide Sleeve, as you should, take the old one, invert it, and insert it FORCEFULLY (up to and including banging it with a mallet HARD). It MUST SEAT very well up against the lip of the transmission housing to seal.

My PO did not seal it well and ruined the clutch/flywheel/Throwout Bearing. There was also a couple pounds of grease mixed with dirt INSIDE the tranny housing…it was a mess!

TEST IT BEFORE YOU INSTALL:
CAREFULLY tip the transmission housing forward so you can test the seal for runs, drips or errors. Also, IF you notice ANY transmission fluid leaking out at time of re-assembly… the seal is NOT SEATED ENOUGH.

Here is a pic of the seal in question.

Again, this is a Boxster S model, with a 6 speed. The 5 speed has a larger flange and is a larger diameter.

Hope that helps you get it together!

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #42
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
I just love watching these DIY's. You are obviously very particular and it shows!

Great work, beautiful Boxster you have there....worth every minute of your efforts.

So, do you plan to investigate the tranny seal further?
The main seal housed in the throw out bear guide tube looked to be ok. Its being replaced along with the guide tube.

Anyone know the torque settings for the three screws that hold the guide tube?

Old 05-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #43
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Well done! Using the correct tools always produces a better chance of success.

How much oil was in the IMS tube?
Hi Paul,

I didn't think to measure the amount of oil that came out of the IMS tube, but I would guess it was about 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup. Does the amount of oil in the tube have any significant meaning?

Old 05-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #44
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I've never measured it either but I've never seen one that did not have oil. Your pictures made it look like yours might have been dry.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #45
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Today was a full day of working on the car. Started the day by attacking my filthy transmission and getting it cleaned up and ready to be re-installed.

The transmission was super dirty.

My wife just had to get a shot of me doing my work.

Here's the trans all nice and clean after some scrubbing and power spraying.

Here's the main shaft with the throw out bearing tube removed and ready for a new tube, seal and o-ring.

Does anybody know the torque values for these screws. I can't find them anywhere.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #46
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Cool

Then is was on to installing the clutch and pressure plate. But first I had to tighten the flywheel bolts. In order to do the the 120 degrees after torquing to 19 ft-lbs I used an angle measurement tool. I tried to locate the printed degree wheel from 101Projects.com, but it impossible to find it. So I had to improvise.

Locked the flywheel with a $0.75 metal strap from Home Depot. Worked great.

Attached the angle measuring tool (has a magnet) to the side of the breaker bar and noted the angle. Then calculated what the angle would be after 120 degrees. I think I liked using this method a lot and would recommend it to any one else.

I'm installing a new clutch disk and pressure plate for the 987 instead of the 986. Read that it was a nice upgrade.

Guess there is a side that is suppose to face the trans. Make sure you install it the correct way.

The new 987 pressure plate.

All done with the clutch install.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #47
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
FSM says 26 ftlbs for the guide sleeve for the release bearing on transmission housing for a 97-99 Boxster 5 speed.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #48
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Last project of the day was to remove the old water pump and thermostat and install new ones. The new thermostat is a low temp unit.

Here are the olds and new units. It was pretty tough to get to all the screws to remove the units. I really thought it was going to be really hard to get some of the screws back in. Really tight quarters, especially the top left screw on the themostat.

But, I was able to get the new one back in without too much trouble. I then installed the water pump - forgot to take a picture though.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #49
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
FSM says 26 ftlbs for the guide sleeve for the release bearing on transmission housing for a 97-99 Boxster 5 speed.
Awesome! Thanks Paul

Old 05-18-2013, 06:13 PM   #50
1999 base

Garage
Very nice Doc.
You really need to elaborate on your cleaning technique.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #51
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
Very nice Doc.
You really need to elaborate on your cleaning technique.
Ok, to clean I just used Gunk Engine Cleaner. Then a small wire brush to loosen the really stuck on stuff. Then used a bunch of old rags to wipe most of it off. Final step was to use my pressure washer. I'm pretty sure a high pressure water hose would work just as well.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #52

your work is inspirational, your method, calming. You make it all seem so easy and worry-free! Thanks again for detailing all of this
Old 05-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #53
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
your work is inspirational, your method, calming. You make it all seem so easy and worry-free! Thanks again for detailing all of this
Thanks for that comment. Nice to know Now everyone take a deep breath and repeat after me - "oooooohhhhhhmmmmmmmm". Just kidding. Get out there and tackle those DIY projects!

Old 05-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #54

Great looking project. How long are you budgeting for all of the work? I actually just got done with the same work last weekend.

Overall I did:
* Full 3 piece clutch job
* IMS Bearing, I went with the Pelican kit and will replace again on my next clutch.
* Plugs / Coil packs / Plug tubes
* RMS
* Engine oil change
* Swepco 201 gear oil

I wish I had actually thought of it and replaced the AOS, Coolant Tank, and Oil Tube, I've got 40K on my AOS, and the coolant tank and oil tube are original with 95K on them.

Here are a few pictures: Porsche Transmission Drop - Imgur

Also, if you haven't, change your gear oil now while your transmission is out. It's much easier when you don't have to deal with pumping gear oil in from under the car. I was going to put my transmission on an engine stand, but wound up using a lounge chair that my neighbor was throwing away. It fit perfectly (picture 8).
HammerESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #55

wow nice job HAMMERESQ I wish I could do all of that in a weekend!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #56
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerESQ View Post
Great looking project. How long are you budgeting for all of the work? I actually just got done with the same work last weekend.

Overall I did:
* Full 3 piece clutch job
* IMS Bearing, I went with the Pelican kit and will replace again on my next clutch.
* Plugs / Coil packs / Plug tubes
* RMS
* Engine oil change
* Swepco 201 gear oil

I wish I had actually thought of it and replaced the AOS, Coolant Tank, and Oil Tube, I've got 40K on my AOS, and the coolant tank and oil tube are original with 95K on them.

Here are a few pictures: Porsche Transmission Drop - Imgur

Also, if you haven't, change your gear oil now while your transmission is out. It's much easier when you don't have to deal with pumping gear oil in from under the car. I was going to put my transmission on an engine stand, but wound up using a lounge chair that my neighbor was throwing away. It fit perfectly (picture 8).
Great job! I've been taking my time with the work. Will likely get the transmission back in this weekend. Already had the gear oil changed back in Nov 2012. I inspected the coolant tank and fill tubes and they looked as good as new. I read the coolant tank mainly has failures when its been over-filled and that's never been an issue for me. The AOS, seemed ok too. There's been no symptoms indicating it has been failing. The plugs and such were also done in Nov 2012.

I just ordered the Boxster S Oil Cooler. I will be installing it as well as a center radiator this week as well. Want the best cooling I can get as my next major project is installing the Imagine Auto super charger kit I have.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbodzin View Post
Really tight quarters, especially the top left screw on the themostat.
Just an FYI for the next time, or the next guy, but I didn't have any problems getting to any of the bolts on my 99's thermostat or water pump. I used a 1/4" drive socket with a 1 1/2" (or so) drive extension to remove and tourque them down. using the extension or my fingers I was able to the bolt in question form the top to remove it. However, I already did have the water pump out at this point. Maybe that was the difference.

Putting it back together it was very easy to use the extension to start the bolt in the threads and tourque it down. FWIW, I repalced the water pump, thermostat, and all the hoses without removing the motor mount (as recommended) as well. I'm not sure if this is a quick of the 99s or not, but it was much easier to do the work than the messages I'd read here or on RennList.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #58
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Got back to working on my car today. I wasn't planning on replacing the air box with the cold air intake (for the super charger kit I will be installing later this year), but it seems it would be easier with the transmission out. So I did that first. Since I had no plans of ever using the stock air box again, I was able to get it out (without removing stuff) by cutting it up with a dremell and taking it out piece by piece.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #59
San Diego Boxster

Garage
Got the transmission back in today as well. Wasn't too hard to do.

New throw out bearing, guide tube with main seal and o-ring.

Last edited by drbodzin; 06-03-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:21 PM   #60

Looking really good. Just curious but are you going to refurbish the supporting members? I figured if I ever removed my engine or transmission that sionce I had to puill all of them anyway I'd take the opportunity to clean them up and repaint them. As I saw in a similar thread.

Just wondering how difficult/easy it might be, so if you do decide to do it please let us know.

Tags
clutch , ims , oil leak , rms , transmission