Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #21

I *think* I'm up too 20+ failures. I have an assortment of bad IMS shafts sitting on a shelf.

I should post a pic!! LOL

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Of real concern though is broadcasting identical messages across multiple forums...

Seems marketing / commercial related... not "enthusiast". Hopefully you're a sponsor.

and it's people like you who drive the people away that actually work on these cars and choose to share *some* knowledge.

It's NO fun battling a person online who works on "their" car, but comes across as "all knowing".. please give me shop owners and factory trained techs.. please..

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #23

The whole subject of IMS failure is quite interesting.

Over here in the UK, the upgrade is a lot less common / popular. I've been using UK based forums for the past two years and can only recall one report of a failure on a 986. I'm not sure how many users exactly there are on said forums, but it's got to total many hundreds.

It's very hard to really judge, and I'll probably learn the hard way, but I don't feel it's worth the expense on my 100k mile early 2.5 and its double-row bearing. Well, certainly not right now. If I'm feeling financially fit when the time comes for a new clutch, I might reconsider.

If I felt like these cars could be made rock solid with a new bearing, I'd probably be more keen, too. But I'm not convinced that's the case with all the other failure modes out there.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #24

This has probably been covered before, but I'm lazy. How would I know if my replaced 2.5 motor, put in the car in 2003/2004 has a single row or double row? It was a Porsche replacement motor if I'm not mistaken.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #25

I have seen NO 2.5 failures. Doesn't mean it won't/cant happen, but I have seen none and I have been involved with the cars since 1999, racing/time trial/autoX since late 04. The 2.5 doesn't turn the RPM that the 2.7/3.2/3.4 turn, it doesn't see the same heat etc.

I have pulled apart a LOT (20+) blown 2.5's, a couple had questionable bearings, but none of them had failed completely.

B
Old 04-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #26

Quote:
How would I know if
without pulling the flywheel off, I know of no way to tell

Jake?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #27

Brad, this kinda sucks. I've been patiently waiting for my motor to blow so I could tell the wife "Oh well, I guess I gotta replace it... Might as well upgrade it to a 3.4"

You are not helping my strategy.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #28
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
I have seen NO 2.5 failures. Doesn't mean it won't/cant happen, but I have seen none and I have been involved with the cars since 1999, racing/time trial/autoX since late 04. The 2.5 doesn't turn the RPM that the 2.7/3.2/3.4 turn, it doesn't see the same heat etc.

I have pulled apart a LOT (20+) blown 2.5's, a couple had questionable bearings, but none of them had failed completely.

B
Brad I have a 2.5 now that has jumped timing but I have not pulled the bearings out to see if that was the cause. I retimed the engine but one of the cylinders has low compression. comming out the bottom end that's why I did not bother with the IMS. Now, however, I will have to pull the bearing to see it that was the cause. Will let you guys now end of next week
Old 04-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #29
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden View Post
Kind of reminds me of my last colonoscopy.
thanks for your reply, I needed a good laugh. BTW your not far off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Raby View Post
Harry, You FEAR MONGER! How dare you share this information and scare people!

This month is our two yearly IMS Retrofit Clinic here.. We do this in April and October each yard and this year I'd not dare post what we have found.

Being hated for telling the truth has to be a 21st century thing.. Its all supposed to be Unicorns and Rainbows, right?
Jake, tell me about it. I stayed out of it for a while but so many people just put their head in the sand and assume it doesn't apply to them. So I get bashed a lot,( as I know you and LN Eng do). One of forums took the post off completely saying that another member (supposedly not a sponsor) complained that I was promoting myself with the exact same post. Go figure.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #30

I was one of those guys that was a naysayer lol...until I saw the bearing that came out of my car, now I am glad I replaced it!
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #31

I don't try to force an IMS upgrade on any of my customers, but the people who think it's a 2% issue are totally delusional.

I have a small shop, and I've seen three total failures in the last twelve months. Yes, failure meaning $20k of scrap metal.

I have a current customer that doesn't even want to discuss it. He says "That's hyped-up hooey".

OK. Good luck.
Series9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #32

Garage
So the real test for the IMS retrofit's efficacy is upon installing it can you then: lug the engine, drive the car very few miles a year, change the oil every 15 k miles and drive the car short distances in traffic with no ill effects. If the answer is no then all of this is hype you have merely swapped a part for a more expensive version.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #33
Ex Esso kid

Land, Assuming the bearing is higher quality than OEM it doesn't seem like a fool's assumption to believe there would be some improvement in longevity. As for lugging the engine IMO that should be avoided as good driving practice, I would never wait 15K for oil either no matter what bearing is there. IMO, the real issue is this, if you have a manual transmission will a cheaper bearing last the same amount of time as the clutch disc? If it does, than why not toss a fresh one in with every clutch? In this scenario, only a tiptronic would benefit from a longer life bearing job.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #34

Garage
If you cannot hand the car to a Luddite and have them drive it without a long list of do's and don'ts then you have not solved the IMS problem, you are simply swapping parts. It is a fairly straightforward concept.

Some will kiss the arse of the IMS sellers and some will not. But in truth the ceramic bearings will meet the same fate as the factory bearings. It will just take longer. The problem is not fixed and therefore it is pish posh to think you are doing the lords work by swapping cheap bearings for pricey ones.

That is my point.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #35

Garage
Vehicles, like forums can not be made foolproof. On time & preventative maintenance usually pays off & I am confident the LN IMS bearing is the best it can be for the inherent weakness of the original design. Thankfully we have options.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #36

Garage
Yes, I am thankful that we have options as well. I have expressed my intention to use the Pelican IMS solution.

I am of the opinion (like Ghost) that the clutch parts list includes IMS as routine maintenance. An easy concept not worthy of all the hype.

The "dare to speak the truth" stuff is over the top for me, but Jake usually is over the top.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #37

Ims

I have an 04 BoxterS. 57k miles. I recently heard a tinny screeching every 2-3 seconds at idle coming from the rear IMS area of the engine. I change oil and filter every 2500 - 3000 miles. I drive it hard on occasion but also do some in town driving. No lugging , no abuse. I'll pull the filter to inspect it, but I will not start the engine. Needless to say , I'll be pissed if it's the IMS bearing. Porsche engineers knew well ahead of 2004 that there was an inherent design flaw and should have redesigned sooner than 09. My Porsche dealer denied seeing any problems with IMS bearings in Boxters when I was there six months ago. I'll re post when I have the noise professionally diagnosed. Any suggestions on a good independent garage in the Portland or Salem Oregon area that will install a non Porsche replacement bearing ?
bartocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #38

Garage
In Atlanta Jim Ellis Porsche (the dealership) will install the any IMS you want and quite reasonably priced as well. So it does not HAVE to be an independent shop.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #39

What are the range of prices charged for the bearing replacement. I know the LN eng. bearing cost is $600 plus.
bartocollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #40

mine was $1900 including oil change and updated RMS

fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote