Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #1

Pecivil thats a hilarious story, I wish I had the same engine setup, I would have loved to see the look on other driver's face.
alikhan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:52 PM   #2

More appreciation

I tend to get people who really like my car. Last night on the way home from a night out my wife & I were sitting at the lights and a guy in a Carolla pulls up beside us. He says hey nice car.....go on give it to it, you know you want to and damn I want to hear it. So the lights go green and I slowly let out the clutch and then floored it to about 6.5K in 1st then slipped it into 2nd up to about 4K at about which time we were at the speed limit so then into 4th and cruised.

Have only had a couple of runs in it. Once with a friend of mine who has a 03 Boxster Tiptronic. We were both suprised at the difference. Both 2.7 mine manual mine was considerably quicker. Over about 300 meters I beat him by about 2 car lenghts. Another was with a tricked Celica 4wd Turbo. Ate him too, the last was with my best mates Aston Martin DB7. This is a 7 litre V12. An absolutely awsome car. Of course he beat me but I was surprised at how well the Boxy went against it.

The DB7 is really a high end machine, accelerates from 200km per hr to 270 in no time.

I agree street racing is stupid. The best part of these cars is how the handle. My mate that has the DB7 used to have a Boxster & wished he never sold it although he loves the Aston, just different cars.

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
pecivil,
thats awesome man, i love it.

my buddy was trying to chase a porsche 3 yrs ago, guy took a turn very fast (well that car can), and my friend 'tried' the same in his rice box acura w a big wing, and ended up in the median with broken tranny and 3 bent wheels (that were painted white btw, lol), hahah
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #4

ok, it happened again. not a ricer, but worse, another p.o.s. not(S) UV. I'm in the fast lane. Traffic is light. I'm over the limit, ~85, but not unsafe. I come up on a view-blocking ford excavation/navigation/whatever doing 65. He could easily do that speed in a slower lane, but no, he won't. I come up a little closer so he'll get the point, but he won't budge. ok fine a-hole, I'll go around. Now he speeds up. I speed up. He speeds up. I dispatch him. I look at my speedometer - 110mph. I'm thinking - what was that?! Do suv drivers consider themselves top o' the foodchain? Did he have the impression that box's were slow and could fend one off? Or, was he thinking, ok, all I got is this p.o.s. and I'll just make the best of it? I did not understand.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp987
Do suv drivers consider themselves top o' the foodchain? Did he have the impression that box's were slow and could fend one off? Or, was he thinking, ok, all I got is this p.o.s. and I'll just make the best of it? I did not understand.
It's not an SUV, or big truck, or any of that sort of thing. Some people just don't care about driving... all they care about is getting around in the vehicle of their choice, and they just want to be in the fast lane out front, no matter what.

If you drive slower than them, you're stupid, and if you drive faster than them, you're an unsafe idiot, and should be run off the road and arrested. All they care about is talking on their cell phones and being out front, where they seemingly believe they should be. Soccer mom, contractor, business man (person)... it doesn't matter. They are all guilty.

Until our society changes how we feel about the driving privilege and how it's taught/enforced, and the law enforcement changes the money-making scheme writing speeding tickets into actually enforcing proper driving etiquette, we won't see any change on our roads in the US.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #6

yea you really do have to keep your head with the street racing thing....We just moved to the SD area last July, having lived in the the Long Beack and OC areas for all my life, but apparently there is a BIG street racing "scene" down here in SD. I guess there are several choice spots where large numbers of people race all illegal of course.

The cops have some sort of special street racing task force that follows them around to bust them.

Any other local San Diego people know about this? I am hearing the popo down here really know their modded cars and bust the street racers with regularity.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #7

Must be the aura of a Porsche that attracts....

the ricers or others wanting to challenge and race you. I too get this almost every time I take my Boxster out. And I drive on the backroads just out of the city to get away from traffic. But as soon as I get back into the city, I always have someone trying to egg me on. Guilty, as I have taken the bait a few times. Actually I give them a head start and then blow by them. Someone said it right, envy. A few weeks ago, while I was cruising just to relax and destress, some guy and his gal came racing up right beside me in his 2007 Corvette (not Z06) and then slows right down and cruises beside me. Then he takes off zig zags between traffic and almost cuts someone off as the lane he was in ended. I just went the speed limit and said to myslef, what an idiot! If there was a clear road, would have been nice to see how the 3.4L faired against the new Vette. I think regardless of the outcome, he would have been surprised.
WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecivil
yea you really do have to keep your head with the street racing thing....We just moved to the SD area last July, having lived in the the Long Beack and OC areas for all my life, but apparently there is a BIG street racing "scene" down here in SD. I guess there are several choice spots where large numbers of people race all illegal of course.

The cops have some sort of special street racing task force that follows them around to bust them.

Any other local San Diego people know about this? I am hearing the popo down here really know their modded cars and bust the street racers with regularity.

Yes, I'm a San Diego native... well, the street racing thing was HUGE here in the past, around the era of around 1997-2001 or so, if I remember correctly...Street races here were crazy. During its peak, on any given thursday/friday/saturday night, there would be up to a couple hundred out at the hotspots. Wild animal park had a spot, chula vista had a couple spots, Morena had a spot. Though the biggest spots were a loop between what was known as "trade street", near the Miramar area, along with Kearny Villa road, a strip off of Convoy near the 52 exit, "firehouse" off of a sidestreet from Mira Mesa road, and "Lower Sorrento", west of the 5 sorrento valley road exit.

Police started to shut down, after the crowds started to get way too huge in the scene, and hundreds would come out, and people started getting injured. Too many kids would come out in the parents camry's and minivans to watch, and once the cops came, and everyone would run to their cars and flee to the next spot, lots of people were getting hurt during the frenzies. People were also getting injured flagging the starts of the races, and looky-loo's that would inch closer and closer from the sidewalk to the street when the cars would come down after a race.

Anyhow, after too many deaths, and accidents, the cops here created a DragNet or something of the sort to crack down on illegal streetracing and modified cars. They would even be as anal as to measure the headlight height, and ticket you if your car was too low. During that time, most of the cops were pretty noobish, and couldn't tell the difference between modded parts. (keep in mind, the majority of the cars involved were Hondas/Acuras/Nissans/Toyotas/Mitsubishis (mostly japanese Imports). So the police started to get training on how to spot carb legal vs. non street legal headers, intakes, exhausts, etc.

Since then, the street racing has pretty much been eliminated in terms of the big scene. Sure, there are the normal street races, from day to day driving, but not the huge rallying seen from during that era.

For us Boxster guys, luckily they can't really tell us to pop the hood to see what mods we've got... haha...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:51 AM   #9

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecivil

You are correct! Modded cars are impounded due to illegal emissions related violations. The fines are huge and many of these dead heads cannot afford to get the cars back.

That's a real shame.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote