Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 12:39 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpanther69
i jumped on my cbr 929, let him drive my car and we went to the school parking lot. i had him floor it for about 1/4 mile
at the end of the 1/4 mile, you were doing over 100 mph in a school parking lot? or just really near the school parking lot? nice work.

humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:12 AM   #42

For me, it seems that the crappiest POS cars want a go. I was crusing down some back roads and I came upon a 1985 Toyota pickup with a lift kit and optional rust package. The guy just punched it, I thought that it was hilarious. I would just blip the throttle and I would be back on his bumper. I would fall back and make it look like he was winning, then I'd be back on his ass. The best part was when we hit the twistys. The driver was going way to fast for this POS truck. It truck was squealing and leaning. I thought it was going to flip over, and if he did....... I wouldn't have stopped.

Hacks: De-Snorkeled, Clutch Swich, Debadged, Red Seatbelts, Painted Bumperettes,
986S Badge, EVO Intake, SuperSprint Exhaust, Fabspeed Cat Bypass
My Car: http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd74/zackwatt/
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #43

when they pull up next to you put on your best pokerface. when you have thier attention point to the front tire then with a concerned look on your face .hey your tire is flat. don't worry even if their window is up they will read your lips. they will wave and say thank you. just give them thumbs up and drive off. as you watch them pull over in your mirror. it is said that 100% of the time this is great for getting the slow cars out of the fast lane. mind you i have only herd of this being done surly i would do such. ahh ignorance isn't it a beautiful thing
staflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #44

It is amazing how much aggression the Porsche engenders from other drivers. Mostly it is just "I got to pass you" or "I'll race you". I find it amusing and ignore it. Most of this is probably subconscious behavior. Occasionally, you get a young enthusiast. We were all daft when we were young too.

A few stick in your mind for quite awhile. Like the guy in the Altima 2.5 wringing out his car to execute a passing manuever. Or the guy in the Saab squeeling his tires when the light turned green. WTF ??

Last Friday night however, I had an idiot in a Hyundai changing lanes several times to block me NASCAR style. Just total passive aggressive. I don't understand this at all.

When I am in my truck, or my Accord, or on my harley I do not get any of this.

I guess there is a lot to be said for a "sleeper" car.

On the other hand I do also get thumbs up and such. But these are far fewer than the other stunts. And there are the times when you pull up next to a Vette and neither one of you want to pull away too hard. This is to show respect to the other car(I know the Vette's faster and the Vette knows he's faster) I suppose. LOL
Old 09-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #45

Send a message via AIM to chpanther69
Quote:
Originally Posted by humara
at the end of the 1/4 mile, you were doing over 100 mph in a school parking lot? or just really near the school parking lot? nice work.
in the school parking lot, it was empty except for like 10 or 15 cars. and yes i was doing about 110. sounds dumb, but trust me when i say i know how to ride.
chpanther69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpanther69
but trust me when i say i know how to ride.
No offense, but you don't if you were doing 110 in a parking lot.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #47

Send a message via AIM to chpanther69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
No offense, but you don't if you were doing 110 in a parking lot.
everyones got there own opinion, i prefer taking it to the track. but im a stunter. its just what i do. and no i dont normally go around doing 110 in a (closed) parking lot.
chpanther69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:34 AM   #48

re POS rice burners wanting to race

Of course this has been going on for as long as there has been cars. From 50's drag races to 60's muscle cars to until as long as there are fast cars. I think it's in the male psyche. The car is an extension of yourself and the Porsche projects an image to others which makes them feel, how shall I say, "inferior", so they have to gun it to show how machismo they are no matter what kind of POS they drive. It's in the genes.

2 other things affecting this I think are the "2 fast, 2 furious" movies which brought the race "subculture" to any tenager with a beat up CRX or civic (cheap citroens in europe). Also our "credit" culture which lets said tenager buy 20" wheels with rubber band tires on credit at Les Schwab.

So what do you do? To me I say have fun with it. Would it be better to have lifeless drones in 4 door buicks doing 5 mph under the speed limit all the time? For those beat up POS cars I just smile and let them go by and for those with something fun and if I'm in the mood on a remote road, give it a go!

To me the image is one of the neat things about the boxster. I was driving in downtown portland 2 days ago and 2 diff. people said "Nice Porsche" as I drove by and one guy driving rolled down his window and asked what kind of car it was. Loving life in a fun car that evokes a reaction just makes life so much more interesting than plodding along the interstate in a boring taurus. So be thankfull for what you have!
saaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #49

I agree that racing another sports car is as natural as breathing for competitive people. Before I raced on the track, I raced on the street. I look back now and realize how utterly stupid that was, but at the time, I was very into it. If any of you got buzzed by some dumb kid in a beat up CRX 10 yrs ago, that was probably me.

Most recently, I had a 247whp miata, and though I wouldn't go looking for races, if some fart-can equipped civic with 20" rims started revving their engine at me, I would show them what a 12sec pass looks like.

Now, I love squeezing every last tenth of a second I can get out of a course, and if there's someone close to my speed, I'll race them. It's just nice to have safety equipment, corner workers, one way traffic, competent drivers, and no cops!
iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:43 AM   #50

Smile

Do us all a favor and stick to the track for your racing. Those of us you DON"T kill will appreciate it!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #51

Cool strange behaviar

i will second that thought ...man it looks like my car brings the worst strange behaviar in people .everybody want to show that they can compete with u even if they drive a minivan or a big truck with 22 inch rims on it.i do not know what is it but it happen to me at least once a a month.i guess i tell myself it is a a strange way for a complement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
It is amazing how much aggression the Porsche engenders from other drivers. Mostly it is just "I got to pass you" or "I'll race you". I find it amusing and ignore it. Most of this is probably subconscious behavior. Occasionally, you get a young enthusiast. We were all daft when we were young too.

A few stick in your mind for quite awhile. Like the guy in the Altima 2.5 wringing out his car to execute a passing manuever. Or the guy in the Saab squeeling his tires when the light turned green. WTF ??

Last Friday night however, I had an idiot in a Hyundai changing lanes several times to block me NASCAR style. Just total passive aggressive. I don't understand this at all.

When I am in my truck, or my Accord, or on my harley I do not get any of this.

I guess there is a lot to be said for a "sleeper" car.

On the other hand I do also get thumbs up and such. But these are far fewer than the other stunts. And there are the times when you pull up next to a Vette and neither one of you want to pull away too hard. This is to show respect to the other car(I know the Vette's faster and the Vette knows he's faster) I suppose. LOL

sifuran is offline   Reply With Quote