Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2007, 04:48 PM   #1

Why does every rice burner wants to compete with my Porsche?

Well, summer time is almost here (atleast in Chicago) anyway my baby has been in storaged for the whole winter, did an oil change, cleaned her up, waxed her up etc.

It seems that everytime I drive there is always some punk that wants to race especially the rice burners. I dont have the quickest and fastest Porsche but for some reason I feel that at times I need to prove my point and leave these suckers with the dust. I shake my head when these little 4 cylinders cars pull next to me and rev up their engines, also, the 6 cylinders as well. Many times I dont even pay attention to them and I guess that drives them CRAZY. Does anyone experience the same issue? Sad isnt it?

I have the Boxster S with a new exhaust, short shift kit, headers and intake, new 19 inch wheels looking to chip the car soon however I am saving my money for that since it is a bit costly. Honestly, I dont even know how much hp gains I have gain my doing those simple mods but I could tell the difference.

I am looking at upsolute for my engine performance software chip....

chgolatin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:59 PM   #2

There is another member on the forum that lives close to me in the next city. I asked him if he experienced this and he said never, me I get it everytime I go out.

He lives in a more affluent area and there are more Porsches and such, where as I hardly see any so I think that is the reason.

For me it's not just the Ricers, I get it from Mustangs whatever. I had a Mustang last Saturday slam on brakes so he would not make it through the light. He revs, takes off on the green. He then works very hard to get in front of me, then keeps gunning it and pulling off.

Finally when stopped at the next light, I blew my horn at him and when he looked in the rearview mirror, I just clapped for him! He flipped me off
Old 04-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Happens to me all the time (Guards Red Box). You name it: rice racers, motorcycles, Vettes, Classic Hot Rods they all want a Porsche notch in their seat belt. If I do find myself at a red light with some hotshot next to me revving his motor I look over, give him the nod and rev mine back. When the light turns green I just let him go as I slowly, quietly pull away from the light. Very satisfying indeed. What a Bozo!
Old 04-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #4

It doesn't happen that much to me. A few days ago a young guy in a Chevy S-10 truck really hauled it to catch up to me (I entered a 4 lane from a side road at a light), then pulled up beside me and rev'd his engine while challenging me to race.

I laughed and waved at him, and he sped off just to turn a few hundred yards down the road.

Mostly I just drive the car the way I want to, without letting other drivers change my day. Works better that way for me. Ignore, or make fun of the idiots.

Last edited by JackG; 04-26-2007 at 08:08 PM.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:16 PM   #5

I just ignore those irresponsible punk. Racing on the street is for ****************************s with tiny prick IMO. Their lack of will and guts to bring it on the race track proves the point.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
When the light turns green I just let him go as I slowly, quietly pull away from the light. Very satisfying indeed. What a Bozo!
That's how you gotta do it! I can't wait till one of these times a cop is just around the corner and one of these punks gets fined.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
It doesn't happen that much to me. A few days ago a young guy in a Chevy S-10 truck really hauled it to catch up to me (I entered a 4 lane from a side road at a light), then pulled up beside me and rev'd his engine while challenging me to race.

I laughed and waved at him, and he sped off just to turn a few hundred yards down the road.

Mostly I just drive the car the way I want to, without letting other drivers change my day. Works better that way for me. Ignore, or make fun of the idiots.
no way...same exact scenario coming home from the movies with my wife...some beat down chevy truck just reving his engine at me at a light....my wife and I started cracking up......he hauled to catch me as well...no race...ruined the poor saps evening
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #8

got my '01 S a month ago. I hadn't driven it a mile when one of those 10 ft tall fat ass/small weenie compensator trucks pulls along side and begins to chirp his tires. It had begun to rain and I was trying to find out how to close the windows. I got the box just for weekend cruising, so I'm thinking I'm not going to waste my time with him. He's gonna have to burn a tank of gas and create a Santa Ana to get that thing to triple digits. I do most of my miles on a liter bike, so I don't need that jerk to tell me what fast is. Just mashing the gas pedal is pretty low skill, anyways. But this has happened several times since then, too. Sometimes I just like to drive my old slow car so I don't have to deal with this.
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 AM   #9

I used to be that ricer

Okay, not really, I had a 1992 Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo and then a 2002 WRX and I have had the same basic experience in all three cars. Although I find that it depends a little bit on my mood, if I’m in the mood for a race I see it, if not I tend not to notice.

I do remember chasing down a Carrera in my Stealth in Park City, UT… I pulled around him at a corner and waited for him to “take the bait.” Sure enough he pulled around me, I dropped it into second so he couldn’t pass me. Unfortunately I didn’t realize we were already doing about 65 (too busy checking my rearview) and going into second was a bad choice. The Stealth actually did about 80 to 85 in second but it was still a bad choice. He got in front of me and I chased him down for about 4 or 5 miles. He kept changing lanes so I couldn’t get around him. We ended up going over 110, maybe even 120, that Stealth was a fast car but I couldn’t get around him. He finally pulled off and I went about my evening.

Long story short, I have thought about that night a lot (this was about 8 years ago), man was that stupid. I’ve grown up a little since then.

Second long story short, I think that anytime you drive a car that someone thinks is “hot” and in turn think that they are also “hot”, they are going to try and race.
thegarage01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:10 AM   #10

beautiful car "thegarage01". I looked far and wide for a lapis blue early S. Finally threw in the towel got yet another silver 01 S. But I get compliments for it too, so all is well.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:10 AM   #11

Thank you BRP... you should have traveled a little further north. This car basically sat on the lot at a used car dealership here in Hollister for 6 months. They ended up "dropping" their price (I don't know if they were asking too much to start with?) from $31,900 to $22,900. About two weeks ago I was driving by the lot and it occurred to me that I could buy it. The next day I went in and two hours later I drove off in my new Porsche Boxter S.

Also... Lapis Blue... good to know the color name, thank you.
thegarage01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:35 AM   #12

Mine is Ocean Blue Metallic, and from the pictures I can't tell the difference. From my view, yours could be Ocean Blue as well.

Maybe one day I'll see mine and a Lapis Blue one side-by-side, and will be able to tell the difference.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #13

I view others reactions to my car as a compliment. They may look foolish revving the engine and chirping the tires and pulling away as if they were mad at the world...but they only do this because they are envious.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:40 PM   #14

I have never had that happen to me...a ricer rev me at a light. Maybe I just look too old for someone to "have a go"

street racing is not a smart thing to do anyway, the consequences loom too large

but having said that......

about a month ago, I was enjoying some twisties on some backroads near Poway, I was happily zipping along at 60 or so, and a guy in a very nice looking black 993 coupe zoomed up even with me in the right lane (2 lane road each way and very light traffic BTW) and proceeded to point his finger forward indicating he wanted to have a go (obviously planning to beat my lowly 217hp box hehe) and he gunned it.....

I KNOW it wasn't the right thing to do but adolescent exuberance overtook me and I floored it and blew past him quite readily with the 3.4 transplant thing and after I past him, I slowed and waited for him to catch back up and then floored it again and passed him again! great fun.

So we finally come to a light and He rolls down his window and says "What do you have in that Boxster??!"

God I love my car......
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #15

PE Civil - cool story.

As for the thread, I had hybrids rev their engines next to me! Just brings a smile to my face that they think so much of my box.
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #16

My friend rev'd @ a vette in his accord with me as his passenger...I was embarrassed....

then the vetter peeled off and left us ...ya felt stupid being with him !

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...IMG00612-1.jpg
ROMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #17

Pecivil thats a hilarious story, I wish I had the same engine setup, I would have loved to see the look on other driver's face.
alikhan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 09:52 PM   #18

More appreciation

I tend to get people who really like my car. Last night on the way home from a night out my wife & I were sitting at the lights and a guy in a Carolla pulls up beside us. He says hey nice car.....go on give it to it, you know you want to and damn I want to hear it. So the lights go green and I slowly let out the clutch and then floored it to about 6.5K in 1st then slipped it into 2nd up to about 4K at about which time we were at the speed limit so then into 4th and cruised.

Have only had a couple of runs in it. Once with a friend of mine who has a 03 Boxster Tiptronic. We were both suprised at the difference. Both 2.7 mine manual mine was considerably quicker. Over about 300 meters I beat him by about 2 car lenghts. Another was with a tricked Celica 4wd Turbo. Ate him too, the last was with my best mates Aston Martin DB7. This is a 7 litre V12. An absolutely awsome car. Of course he beat me but I was surprised at how well the Boxy went against it.

The DB7 is really a high end machine, accelerates from 200km per hr to 270 in no time.

I agree street racing is stupid. The best part of these cars is how the handle. My mate that has the DB7 used to have a Boxster & wished he never sold it although he loves the Aston, just different cars.

2000 2.7 Boxster
aussieboxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
pecivil,
thats awesome man, i love it.

my buddy was trying to chase a porsche 3 yrs ago, guy took a turn very fast (well that car can), and my friend 'tried' the same in his rice box acura w a big wing, and ended up in the median with broken tranny and 3 bent wheels (that were painted white btw, lol), hahah
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #20

ok, it happened again. not a ricer, but worse, another p.o.s. not(S) UV. I'm in the fast lane. Traffic is light. I'm over the limit, ~85, but not unsafe. I come up on a view-blocking ford excavation/navigation/whatever doing 65. He could easily do that speed in a slower lane, but no, he won't. I come up a little closer so he'll get the point, but he won't budge. ok fine a-hole, I'll go around. Now he speeds up. I speed up. He speeds up. I dispatch him. I look at my speedometer - 110mph. I'm thinking - what was that?! Do suv drivers consider themselves top o' the foodchain? Did he have the impression that box's were slow and could fend one off? Or, was he thinking, ok, all I got is this p.o.s. and I'll just make the best of it? I did not understand.