Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp987
Do suv drivers consider themselves top o' the foodchain? Did he have the impression that box's were slow and could fend one off? Or, was he thinking, ok, all I got is this p.o.s. and I'll just make the best of it? I did not understand.
It's not an SUV, or big truck, or any of that sort of thing. Some people just don't care about driving... all they care about is getting around in the vehicle of their choice, and they just want to be in the fast lane out front, no matter what.

If you drive slower than them, you're stupid, and if you drive faster than them, you're an unsafe idiot, and should be run off the road and arrested. All they care about is talking on their cell phones and being out front, where they seemingly believe they should be. Soccer mom, contractor, business man (person)... it doesn't matter. They are all guilty.

Until our society changes how we feel about the driving privilege and how it's taught/enforced, and the law enforcement changes the money-making scheme writing speeding tickets into actually enforcing proper driving etiquette, we won't see any change on our roads in the US.

JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #22

yea you really do have to keep your head with the street racing thing....We just moved to the SD area last July, having lived in the the Long Beack and OC areas for all my life, but apparently there is a BIG street racing "scene" down here in SD. I guess there are several choice spots where large numbers of people race all illegal of course.

The cops have some sort of special street racing task force that follows them around to bust them.

Any other local San Diego people know about this? I am hearing the popo down here really know their modded cars and bust the street racers with regularity.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #23

Must be the aura of a Porsche that attracts....

the ricers or others wanting to challenge and race you. I too get this almost every time I take my Boxster out. And I drive on the backroads just out of the city to get away from traffic. But as soon as I get back into the city, I always have someone trying to egg me on. Guilty, as I have taken the bait a few times. Actually I give them a head start and then blow by them. Someone said it right, envy. A few weeks ago, while I was cruising just to relax and destress, some guy and his gal came racing up right beside me in his 2007 Corvette (not Z06) and then slows right down and cruises beside me. Then he takes off zig zags between traffic and almost cuts someone off as the lane he was in ended. I just went the speed limit and said to myslef, what an idiot! If there was a clear road, would have been nice to see how the 3.4L faired against the new Vette. I think regardless of the outcome, he would have been surprised.
WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecivil
yea you really do have to keep your head with the street racing thing....We just moved to the SD area last July, having lived in the the Long Beack and OC areas for all my life, but apparently there is a BIG street racing "scene" down here in SD. I guess there are several choice spots where large numbers of people race all illegal of course.

The cops have some sort of special street racing task force that follows them around to bust them.

Any other local San Diego people know about this? I am hearing the popo down here really know their modded cars and bust the street racers with regularity.

Yes, I'm a San Diego native... well, the street racing thing was HUGE here in the past, around the era of around 1997-2001 or so, if I remember correctly...Street races here were crazy. During its peak, on any given thursday/friday/saturday night, there would be up to a couple hundred out at the hotspots. Wild animal park had a spot, chula vista had a couple spots, Morena had a spot. Though the biggest spots were a loop between what was known as "trade street", near the Miramar area, along with Kearny Villa road, a strip off of Convoy near the 52 exit, "firehouse" off of a sidestreet from Mira Mesa road, and "Lower Sorrento", west of the 5 sorrento valley road exit.

Police started to shut down, after the crowds started to get way too huge in the scene, and hundreds would come out, and people started getting injured. Too many kids would come out in the parents camry's and minivans to watch, and once the cops came, and everyone would run to their cars and flee to the next spot, lots of people were getting hurt during the frenzies. People were also getting injured flagging the starts of the races, and looky-loo's that would inch closer and closer from the sidewalk to the street when the cars would come down after a race.

Anyhow, after too many deaths, and accidents, the cops here created a DragNet or something of the sort to crack down on illegal streetracing and modified cars. They would even be as anal as to measure the headlight height, and ticket you if your car was too low. During that time, most of the cops were pretty noobish, and couldn't tell the difference between modded parts. (keep in mind, the majority of the cars involved were Hondas/Acuras/Nissans/Toyotas/Mitsubishis (mostly japanese Imports). So the police started to get training on how to spot carb legal vs. non street legal headers, intakes, exhausts, etc.

Since then, the street racing has pretty much been eliminated in terms of the big scene. Sure, there are the normal street races, from day to day driving, but not the huge rallying seen from during that era.

For us Boxster guys, luckily they can't really tell us to pop the hood to see what mods we've got... haha...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:51 AM   #25

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecivil

You are correct! Modded cars are impounded due to illegal emissions related violations. The fines are huge and many of these dead heads cannot afford to get the cars back.

That's a real shame.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #26

Thumbs down

"If there was a clear road, would have been nice to see how the 3.4L faired against the new Vette. I think regardless of the outcome, he would have been surprised. "

Who is the idiot here?

If this turns into a street racing thread, I will shut it down.

Sorry, that's the policy.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #27

Thumbs up Bruce Lee, who are you calling an idiot?

not trying to make this a street racing thread. I was just merely stating what I thought might have been an interesting run to see how the 3.4L would fare against the Vette. I am sure I am not the only one on this thread who would be curious about this. What is wrong with that?!? Did I go and say, hey I schooled a certain car today while I was at a light etc etc etc??? No! I was stating hypothetically, what would be an interesting shootout. On an open stretch of highway of course. Like no one on this board has ever let their Boxster rip on a freeway? Nor let it rip on the freeway along with another car, whether ricer, another Porsche, etc? Hey, I am honest and guilty of doing this the odd time and can admit it. Even with my 2.5L I would let er rip on the open road otherwise what is the point? The Boxster is meant to be driven. If I never take it close to red and open her up, I might as well buy a Toyota Prius Hybrid and cruise in the far right lane at the speed limit. But do I go out Friday or Sat. night looking for the Fast and Furious street racing scene and race for pinks? NADA, I got better things to do & am too old for this. Plus how many of us are curious re: shootouts reading C&D, R&T...etc. What is the first thing you look at, how the Boxster fared against the Z3 etc etc. Give me a break!

Last edited by WillieB; 04-29-2007 at 02:17 PM.
WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #28

Plus how many of us are curious re: shootouts reading C&D, R&T...etc. What is the first thing you look at, how the Boxster fared against the Z3 etc etc. Give me a break!

Yes, all those shootouts are done on the track, not on the street.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #29

Duke It Out

I say you boys line it up on the track and duke it out.......!!

I get it all the time, and when I do I invite them out to the next autocross and KICK THEIR ASS!... I got one coming up in two weeks...Thats when I break the ole 911 out of the garage and open the can of whoop ass...and THEN RUB IT IN THEIR FACES......I BURN THE RICE TOO!...

SORRY.....I was just getting excited...

I got it from a Nissan twin turbo once...I invited him out to a DE and put him in the car with me.....I scared the crap out of him, ESPECIALLY coming into a U TURN at over a hundred and braking really deep in the turn......I can tell how how tense they are by how far down they mash my door pocket....I have to straighten it out all the time...He didnt screw with me anymore after that...Then I told him the car only had 150HP....

So invite them to the track and teach them a little respect...
Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #30

Oh yes, the infamous boy racers and their rice boxes. I particularly like the huge aluminum picnic benches they chose to put on the trunk lid. Oh and the ridiculous looking bodykits left in white gel coat and a fart can to boot. Now that's classy.

We saw this gem on our way to Eureka Springs for a Porsche rally. He tried to race my dad whom was in front of me and driving his 996TT. Yes, those are spinner...........hubcaps.

Last edited by yellowboxster01; 05-01-2007 at 01:53 PM.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #31

ugh...It happened again. This time it was a ricer. Sooo, I have friday off. Decide to take the box out for a little excercise in the twisties. Suddenly in my mirror is a corolla being driven agressively. If it had been a sports car, I would have let him by. I don't mind a little sporty driving, but I'm not going to get in an all-out street race. But since it was a corolla, I'll up the ante and shake him. Turns out he's a good driver. No, he couldn't hang with the box in curves, but I'm not willing to go >80 and just leave it in 5th, so he's able to catch up. After a few miles of this he attempts a pass in a no-pass zone. I had to allow it to avoid an accident. Well, I was ready to throw caution to the wind at this point, but we encountered traffic and a residential zone, so 'game-over'.

Well, how would you have handled it? Some will say 'take it to the track'. But as Porsche owners, I'm sure most of us are competitive in nature. At the same time, for many of us the box is a 2nd or 3rd car. We have significant other assets and the reasoning ability that goes along with it. I've thought about it some. If it can be done 'safely', then win immediately and decisively, or don't bother. Most likely, don't bother. It was surprising that a mundane, but well driven car can make you dig a little deeper than you might think. I know, I know, :ah:
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #32

Thumbs up

I have trucks that try to race me. A Ford F250 tried to race me at a light on Friday. I thought is was ridiculous!!! (I blew by him at 3rd gear, he asked for it)
Old 05-28-2007, 12:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
Oh yes, the infamous boy racers and their rice boxes. I particularly like the huge aluminum picnic benches they chose to put on the trunk lid. Oh and the ridiculous looking bodykits left in white gel coat and a fart can to boot. Now that's classy.

We saw this gem on our way to Eureka Springs for a Porsche rally. He tried to race my dad whom was in front of me and driving his 996TT. Yes, those are spinner...........hubcaps.
LOL...way too funny!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 12:10 PM   #34

Send a message via AIM to 986rgt
The funniest thing is...

reading some of the honda and other rice forums where they have a "BURN" section. You get some kid with a civic bragging how he roasted a P-car or a vette, and you gotta wonder, was this in a parking lot, racing a Porsche or vette that was parked?! its funny, even if you don't race them, I bet in their mind they just smoked your @ss! I had some guy in a rusted out 80's astrovan one day pull up next to me at a light and start revving his motor. I looked over at him and he just started laughing. At least he knew what a joke it was!
I also get all the kids trying to get me to do burnouts at every corner too. Do these kids know how much our tires and clutches cost?!

Steve
986rgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #35

Yeah, I don't get SUV attitude at all. I've actually had all black Tahoes and Escalades try to race my bike. There was one time on the freeway with no traffic at all, I was coming up on him not too much faster, and he sped up to stay ahead. Yeah Mr. SUV, maybe you have yer engine bored out or a blower in there somewhere, but it's annoying to have to remind them that they better be beating Enzos to have a chance against a decent sportbike.

That of course was in my first few unwise encounters. Since then I've also learned such SUVs are fearless and reckless, and I keep my distance in case they try to remind me they have an 8 to 1 weight advantage in a collision.

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #36
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Funny thing is that here in my area, the ricers are not the ones who want to race me, but instead, the SUVs, pickup trucks, and luxury sedans that want to have a go at stoplights.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #37

It's a compliment

The porsche has always been the benchmark of fine craftsmanship. Naturally, folk will want to put their crap up against it. Take it as a compliment.
I usually wave or nod. No sense poking fun at a potential wackjob. Road rage I do not need.
c_warpspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:12 AM   #38
Suz

There was a lovely article on line comparing the MR2 to the Acura NSX. I would love to see a comparison of a stock 95 turbo MR2 to a Boxster, in cornering ability, specifically. We know the S would be the turbo.....in flat out speed. I have true affection for that little rice burner. Long live the MR2!
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:45 AM   #39

I love the people who floor it as you are passing them on a two lane.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to chpanther69
wow

i actually had a guy on a 2000 kawasaki 250 ninja try and race me at a light, when we got to the next light i realized it was a kid i used to go to school with. he was shocked that my boxster could beat a bike. so i envited him to my house real quick. i jumped on my cbr 929, let him drive my car and we went to the school parking lot. i had him floor it for about 1/4 mile, when he got done he swore no bike could ever touch it. so thats when my 929 came in. i jumped on it and had him floor it again, but this time i was riding next to him, up on one wheel the entire time, lol. i really dont have a point to this story, i just liked the look on his face when i showed him the amazing power of the porsche against his ninja 250, and the amazing force of real bike against a porsche. guess i kinda taught him a lesson.

chpanther69 is offline   Reply With Quote