Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2020, 04:14 AM   #21
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Perfect and Piper:

Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. Thank you, both, for extraordinary reads. Truly food for thought, no pun intended.

Old 03-31-2020, 04:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
thanks for your will wishes. If you aren't already on it I would strongly recommend you check in with your cardiologist as frequently as he/she sees fit. And get a good one from a top medical school and part of top notch heart institute that is within your best hospital. Cancer patients are prone to coagulation and that needs to be monitored. My father should have been on a low dose blood thinner like Xarelto with his cancer, age, history of stroke and being on a long term hormonal treatment. He was a good candidate for a blood thinner because he was extremely mobile and physically coordinated for someone with so many incurable diseases. At over age 80 he rode an exercise bicycle for over an hour, could walk long distances without the slightest fatigue, which the dog loved and had really remarkable visual coordination for a person with advanced dementia. He would be the first to have his seat belt on and always knew to step over the parking block. No falls whatsoever. But he couldn't tell you his address, flushed his $4k dental bridges down the toilet (bah useless) and he didnt know who his son or wife were...he just thought of us as his roommates. Lol.

I'm a half full glass type person who is always in fight mode so I watched him closely. But man did the doctors fail to forsee the possibility or mitigate against a major blood clot. Even after his stroke the second rate hosptial he was unfortunately rushed to did not perform a doppler of his arteries the entire week he was in the hospital and it wasnt performed for almost a month as part of his cardiologist follow up. Once the imminent danger had passed I should have transferred him to a hospital that was capable of surgical intervention of blood clots. They would have performed the doppler test right away and found the DVT blood clot. Incredibly not all hospitals can perform interventions of blood clots. They just let you sit there in the bed until your vitals are stable to send you home with a ticking time bomb. This is important to point out because he had what I now believe was a second stroke at the second rate hospial while I was helping him walk around the floor of the hospital. He was simply rushed back to his bed and no further tests performed other than CT scan. Total **************** show.
Once he was back home I had a second doppler performed about 9 months later to confirm that his coagulation was not chronic condition. So better management of this might have prevented my father's bed bound confinement completely. You really have to stay one step ahead of your doctors. The best way is to fire any IMMEDIATELY if they show a lackadaisical, cynical or apathetic demeanor. They should exhibit a sense of urgency or seriousness like a Marine on point. Especially if you live in an area where there is a high senior population and you become like just another can of peas on the production line.

As far as the pasta, I think you can rewire your brain's carb craving by eating more fiber with that particular
carb. My theory is that people have three cravings: sugar, savory and carb. The sugar craving is a result of not eating enough fruit during the day. If you're having enough forest fruits (low sugar) and avoiding tropical fruits (high sugar) the fiber in the fruit will drip feed the sugar into your bloodstream on flattened plane vs a spike. The savory craving is a result of not enough healthy fats which is the strongest urge because calorically its lifting the most weight. So if you eat more avocado and nut varieties (avoid any non-organic nut butters and eat "Natural" peanut butter sparingly), chia puddings (never consume chia seed dry) your fat cravings for bacon, steak and eggs will fall. The bigger your appetite for these meat based fats the more plant based fats you have to replace with. dont worry about the calories at first, you want to make the withdrawal as easy as possible otherwise you'll just quit and go back to the piles of salty meats.

So For the carb cravings the antidote is eating more beans and lentils. These suppress appetite so you can walk past a plate of pasta. You should cook these legumes under pressure (Instant Pot) and wash them after. What I do for my pasta craving, I'm a bucatini fan, is to mix in plenty of spinach, red cabbage, the small lentils that look more like seeds, in with a smaller portion of the pasta and blend into the sauce cooked cauliflower, humus. Use pressed garlic and raw onions for an net antioxidant benefit. The higher fiber content of these addions brings down the net carbs of the pasta so your insulin spike isnt as high and long in duration. Yet you still feel like you ate a plate of pasta. And very important, DO NOT add more than a tiny bit of olive oil. Think teaspoon in stead of tablespoons. If you want the olive oil flavor blend a whole olive into the sauce or dice and mix in with the pasta and vegetables. Omega 3's are vital but not without its original fiber source. Processed oil (aka straight vegetable oil, all kinds) hits your bloodstream all at once just like the sugar in fruit juices except that instead of an insulin spike you get something far more dangerous if you don't have the ability to break down oil quickly: rapid inflammation in places you really dont want that. And this inflammation begins in a remarkably fast process as well, almost as soon as you're done eating. When Samuel L. Jackson went in for his 50th birthday at the Mayo clinic's famous head to toe in a day physical he was told he had a life threatening blockage in a major artery. His options were: A) surgery with one of the highest death rates (moving an artery from an arm to his leg if memory serves). Or option B) an immediate course of medication with an absurdly strict diet that cut out all meats, chicken, fish, etc. and .....cutting out ALL OILS. Why? because they accelerate the inflammation that could dislodge the blockage and trigger a stroke. So he picked option B and within six months his arteries were clear. Jackson's experience was educational for others because it showed the inflammatory risks of fiber-less oils they don't warn you about, and that routine blood tests, the sort a primary physician orders once a year, do NOT show the full picture of what is going on in your arteries.

Wow! I did not know that about oils. I use plenty of extra virgin olive oil. I thought I was doing a good thing because I had all but completely cut out butter.

What you say makes sense. I'm going to start substituting legumes for pasta. My biggest hurdle is going to be cooking them. I like to coo and have plenty of ways to cook pasta, but I have no variety when it comes to prepping legumes.

Thank you!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Wow! I did not know that about oils. I use plenty of extra virgin olive oil. I thought I was doing a good thing because I had all but completely cut out butter.

What you say makes sense. I'm going to start substituting legumes for pasta. My biggest hurdle is going to be cooking them. I like to coo and have plenty of ways to cook pasta, but I have no variety when it comes to prepping legumes.

Thank you!
oil is very controversial. Especially the MCT oil popular with Keto and olive oil with vegans, and Mediterranean diet. But every person process oils differently because of genetics and activity levels. People in Italy and Greece are pretty liberal with their use oils and SOME of them are the healthiest people in the world. others drink and smoke a lot and never exercise. These Mediterraneans have some genetic advantages as well. They get a great deal of sunlight while they are climbing up stairs and steep streets. These two things are incredibly healthy activities that Americans in the same age groups dont really do as a lifelong daily habit.

Most Americans are sedentary and are not outside at "solar noon" when the proportion of healthy sunlight is high and momentarily outweighs the negative of unhealthy sunlight. You get them at the same time, just that the healthy rays dwindle the closer you get to sundown. There's actually an app called "D minder" that plugs in your location and send you an alert when you should step out for 15 minutes or so sunlight. Lay off the orange juice if you spend a lot time in the sun by the way (topic for another day).

And by the way, sunlight is by far the most important healthy activity you can participate in without spending any money. Vitamin D is actually a hormone that is crucial in repairing every major tissue of your body, from bone healthy to eyesight and everything in between. This is a big reason why seniors deteriorate in nursing homes as they spend days on end in sunless rooms. Even with my bed bound father we position the hospital bed he has at home near the window and remove the blankets so he can get some rays at noon. You simply
cannot address the vitamin D deficiency with food... it has to be sunlight. Whole milk may only provide hundreds of units when an older person will need thousands of units a day as they age. Each day without the minimum amount of vitamin D the harder the organs have to work to keep up.

Long story short unless you are very physically active, have a healthy weight, and get a healthy dose of sunlight regularly, use the olive oil sparingly. Eat olives instead, fiber and all. For the salad, if you have no digestive issues use vinegar instead. olives and vinegar thats a good non-inflamatory mix.

As for the beans, just get the canned. There are so many varieties and every one is healthy because fiber, protein and antioxidants at less than $2 bucks is not possible in any other food. Open the cans, rinse the beans well, toss them in an electric pressure cooker. add some chopped garlic, onions, italian parsley, maybe a small amount of ginger, add a cup or two of purified water (tastes better), some vegetable broth maybe, close the lid, hit the digital button to high pressure, close the escape valve on the lid and set it for 10 minutes. The flavorings will soak into the beans under pressure much better than in saucepan. Once its done carefully release the valve with a towel, open the lid and give the beans a final rinse to remove the lectins. You can get one of these electric cookers like the Instant Pot for like $50 on Amazon, Ebay or Walmart. Some work with an app that tell you how long to cook and what setting to use. There are an epic ton of videos on YouTube on how to cook every vegetable, meat, grain, pasta even cheesecake with the Instant Pot. I bought one about 6 years ago before they were really popular. The founder used to sell them by the dozens out of his car and now sells millions on Amazon. Every nationality of people use these to cook beans.

By the way, At least one clinical study found that cultures that ate the most beans (as a major protein source with less emphasis on animal protein compared to infrequent bean eaters) had substantially greater longevity, as much as 10 years. my theory on that is less damage to your telomeres occur with less pesticide exposure. The telomeres to keep it simple are like the caps on your tires air valves. They keep your chromosomes in tact to fight off ageing and protection from disease. Some people with autoimmune diseases and skin issues do not break down the lectins found in the skin of beans and other vegetables like tomatoes, potatoes and eggplant but steaming under high pressure and peeling these foods removes most of the lectins. Other people have the correct genetic code and can break down the lectins without it wreaking havoc in the gut thus avoiding leaky gut or wearing away of the healthy lining of the gut that supports your immune responses.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-31-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:33 AM   #24

Quote:
oil is very controversial. Especially the MCT oil popular with Keto and olive oil with vegans, and Mediterranean diet. But every person process oils differently because of genetics and activity levels. People in Italy and Greece are pretty liberal with their use oils and SOME of them are the healthiest people in the world. others drink and smoke a lot and never exercise. These Mediterraneans have some genetic advantages as well. They get a great deal of sunlight while they are climbing up stairs and steep streets. These two things are incredibly healthy activities that Americans in the same age groups dont really do as a lifelong daily habit.

Most Americans are sedentary and are not outside at "solar noon" when the proportion of healthy sunlight is high and momentarily outweighs the negative of unhealthy sunlight. You get them at the same time, just that the healthy rays dwindle the closer you get to sundown. There's actually an app called "D minder" that plugs in your location and send you an alert when you should step out for 15 minutes or so sunlight. Lay off the orange juice if you spend a lot time in the sun by the way (topic for another day).

And by the way, sunlight is by far the most important healthy activity you can participate in without spending any money. Vitamin D is actually a hormone that is crucial in repairing every major tissue of your body, from bone healthy to eyesight and everything in between. This is a big reason why seniors deteriorate in nursing homes as they spend days on end in sunless rooms. Even with my bed bound father we position the hospital bed he has at home near the window and remove the blankets so he can get some rays at noon. You simply
cannot address the vitamin D deficiency with food... it has to be sunlight. Whole milk may only provide hundreds of units when an older person will need thousands of units a day as they age. Each day without the minimum amount of vitamin D the harder the organs have to work to keep up.

Long story short unless you are very physically active, have a healthy weight, and get a healthy dose of sunlight regularly, use the olive oil sparingly. Eat olives instead, fiber and all. For the salad, if you have no digestive issues use vinegar instead. olives and vinegar thats a good non-inflamatory mix.

As for the beans, just get the canned. There are so many varieties and every one is healthy because fiber, protein and antioxidants at less than $2 bucks is not possible in any other food. Open the cans, rinse the beans well, toss them in an electric pressure cooker. add some chopped garlic, onions, italian parsley, maybe a small amount of ginger, add a cup or two of purified water (tastes better), some vegetable broth maybe, close the lid, hit the digital button to high pressure, close the escape valve on the lid and set it for 10 minutes. The flavorings will soak into the beans under pressure much better than in saucepan. Once its done carefully release the valve with a towel, open the lid and give the beans a final rinse to remove the lectins. You can get one of these electric cookers like the Instant Pot for like $50 on Amazon, Ebay or Walmart. Some work with an app that tell you how long to cook and what setting to use. There are an epic ton of videos on YouTube on how to cook every vegetable, meat, grain, pasta even cheesecake with the Instant Pot. I bought one about 6 years ago before they were really popular. The founder used to sell them by the dozens out of his car and now sells millions on Amazon. Every nationality of people use these to cook beans.

By the way, At least one clinical study found that cultures that ate the most beans (as a major protein source with less emphasis on animal protein compared to infrequent bean eaters) had substantially greater longevity, as much as 10 years. my theory on that is less damage to your telomeres occur with less pesticide exposure. The telomeres to keep it simple are like the caps on your tires air valves. They keep your chromosomes in tact to fight off ageing and protection from disease. Some people with autoimmune diseases and skin issues do not break down the lectins found in the skin of beans and other vegetables like tomatoes, potatoes and eggplant but steaming under high pressure and peeling these foods removes most of the lectins. Other people have the correct genetic code and can break down the lectins without it wreaking havoc in the gut thus avoiding leaky gut or wearing away of the healthy lining of the gut that supports your immune responses.
Again, thank you very much. I actually have an InstaPot that a friend gave me, but I have yet to use. Mostly because it's a style of cooking with which I'm totally unfamiliar. I have a lot to 'digest' here. How do you know about all this?

Last edited by piper6909; 04-02-2020 at 03:37 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 05:28 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
these are completely contradictory recommendations coming from an oncologist.

Dr. Gundry now recommends eating as little animal based protein as possible. He's embraced the view that most of your protein should be coming from plants as he now says that the hormonal overload of animal products is not significantly diminished if you rely on grass fed or grass finished meat vs supermarket type meats.
First I have Metastatic Prostate Cancer. diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago. This is one of the reasons I don't post as much on the site. Replies(attaches) like yours are a second reason. Currently my diagnosis is Hormone Refractory Metastatic Prostate cancer. So I will never be off Lupron. The cancer attacked my adrenal glands and now I have Type 1 Adrenal Insufficiency my adrenal glands no longer function, so I need to supplement hydrocortisone and fludrocotisone daily. Up until this current crisis I work by choice 3 - 4 days a week at a Ski resort with summer activities. I was also still active in DE. I've also continued to assist local people with there car setups.

I never said the diet I mentioned was meat based. You knew Dr. Gundry's doctrine spouted it line and verse throughout 3 commentaries. As far as being contrary to what a Oncologist should recommend. Not eating dietary grain is one of the #1 recommendations of Oncologists, not only because of the pesticide used, but also because of genetic modifications which are made to the grain to contain higher levels of Lectins which are a plant produced substance which is much like a pesticide. #2 stop eating processed sugars. # 3 stop eating processed oils. Never corn oil, soy oil vegetable oil. Pressed oils are better but should be limited as you stated. # 4 If you are eating animal protein, Which is a choice in the diet limited it to 4 oz., it should always be Grass fed(not grass finished), and again this removes the grain the animals eat out of the equation, reducing exposure to Lectin in the animals diet and pesticides, homone and antibiotic free. If eating legumes as you specified Pressure cook it and rinse. If eating squash tomatoes eggplant etc., always skin and remove all seeds(These are night shade plants which should only be eaten if properly prepared and highly limited by Cancer patients). I choose to grow my own tomatoes and process them on my own. As far as fruit goes sugars feed cancers, and newer varietys of fruit have also been genetically altered to contain higher levels of lectins, in the skins to prevent insect crop damage as well as higher sugar content. Not eating the skin or seed is a improvement but I choose to eliminate fruit as much as possible.
So what can you eat just as your suggestion, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, leaf lettuce, brussel sprouts, asparagus, and many of the other things you also recommended. Nuts, olives, avocados, olive oil, avocado oil, legume properly prepared, tomatoes properly prepared, pretty much your play book. The choice is there to eat animal portion highly limited. At this point I choose to continue to eat meat. I will also say at this point I know the supplier of my dietary animal protein and I've been to their farms. When ever and where ever possible Organic is better, but if you don't know the source be wary.
Last as you also stated and which is also covered is fasting. I eat 2 meals a day mostly vegetable, but I contiinue to choose 4 - 6 oz., animal based.

In the end almost every point you made is in this book. A majority of them you incorporate into both your, and your fathers diet. By the way prayers to your father as a person who know all to well the course of this disease I feel for you and your family. Presonally It has taken me from some one able to Bike 30-40 miles in an evening to some one thankful to work 8 hours or walk a mile a couple times a week.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:19 PM   #26

Hi Particlewave,

Congratulations on a successful diet. I’m the opposite, I have to eat constantly to maintain weight. You’d think it would be great but I’m always hungry. Always spending on food out. A hassle.

I sent you a PM. I have often miss them so I wanted to see if you’d seen it?

Thanks,
-J

Junkley is offline   Reply With Quote