View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
particlewave
Custom User Title Here

Garage
My Keto Transformation

I know what you're thinking: "for the love of...another fad dieter!"

Last summer, I was really disgusted with myself. At 40 years old, I stepped on the scale for the first time in years and was shocked to see it read nearly 220 lbs (6'1").
For years, I only ate one meal per day (dinner) and a cup of coffee for breakfast, yet could not lose weight (slowly gaining, if anything).

July, 2019:

I saw a post from another 40 year old dad in a similar situation and was very impressed by his results with the ketogenic diet, so I figured I'd give it a go.
I limited my carb intake to less than 10 grams per day (yes, 10 grams...total, not net). This meant cutting out all grains (no noodles, rice, bread, etc), potatoes, sugar, etc.

I started the day with black coffee. Lunch was pepperoni slices and cheese sticks (or similar meat and cheese combo). Dinner was a large helping of meat and a huge salad. In between, I made broccoli, cauliflower, green pepper, kale smoothies that I had to choke down
That is a bit over simplified, but basically, you just have to count all carbs and keep it low. Most shoot for under 50 grams, but I went ballistic with it.
All the greasy meat n' cheese you want!
BTW, I don't drink alcohol and you couldn't on this diet.

Aside from the smoothies, the diet was fairly easy to adapt to (though I was very weak for the first 2-3 weeks as my body switched to burning fat for energy).

8 weeks:

Anywho...I did the diet for 3 full months and lost...wait for it...65 friggin' pounds!
That’s more than 5 pounds per week.

About 6 weeks ago, I bought a Gold's home gym and started working out. I want to be ripped by summer so I can pop my top off at the beach!

Moral of the story? You can do it!

Today:

I now eat whatever I want (though still avoid too much sugar or carbs, just because I don't enjoy them like I used to) and am still losing fat...just a bit left around the middle.
If you're overweight, don't hesitate to try it.

I hope that my experience can inspire at least one person in the same way that his story inspired me.

Last edited by particlewave; 03-26-2020 at 10:46 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote