Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2017, 12:04 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
@Coaster
@thatguychad
@soxfan1966
Seen your note a few days ago... you guys really got in just in time! I've planed a kit for you guys. Soxfan please clarify if you want the redsox logo to replace the P badge. If replacing the script then let me know what you'd need in place e.g. "Official Major League Baseball - Boston Redsox rocks" or something of the like? Just thinking out loud here

Running in the backorder already... and being harassed (literally) from an online shop owner here in SH who wants 50kits just for himself. Calling me twice per day, often he does :/ Looks like I'll have to do another run of those caps eventually (or possibly not, dunno yet). Pisses me off because they are not all that easy to do... lots of set-up and fixtures here & there. Not even yet anodized lollll
I was only thinking of the Sox logo replacing the Porsche logo.

Script as is OK with me. Do you think it would work?

soxfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:33 AM   #142
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Running in the backorder already... and being harassed (literally) from an online shop owner here in SH who wants 50kits just for himself. Calling me twice per day, often he does :/ Looks like I'll have to do another run of those caps eventually (or possibly not, dunno yet). Pisses me off because they are not all that easy to do... lots of set-up and fixtures here & there. Not even yet anodized lollll
Crybaby. Back in the 70s when I was a child-laborer we had it tough. I'd spend my after school hours working with a 1940s era Bridgeport machine for pennies an hour, breathing toxic fumes and bathing in fluids known to cause 47 different types of cancer. None of this fancy CNC stuff. Quit your whining and set up that second run. :ah:

()
Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 AM   #143

Is it too late bag a set?
Cheers
David
mavis.d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #144

Quote:
@Coaster
@thatguychad
@soxfan1966
Seen your note a few days ago... you guys really got in just in time! I've planed a kit for you guys.
Excellent! Please PM me details when you have them.
thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Crybaby. Back in the 70s when I was a child-laborer we had it tough. I'd spend my after school hours working with a 1940s era Bridgeport machine for pennies an hour, breathing toxic fumes and bathing in fluids known to cause 47 different types of cancer. None of this fancy CNC stuff. Quit your whining and set up that second run. :ah:

()
Wow, 47 diff types of cancer? What an improvement, we are down to 17 these days. Think I caught 6 already but here's the trick; you have to inhale PMMA smoke cut by a laser and breath Acetal fumes off the lathe - anything living/growing inside you instantly dies

Had a dust & mist collector installed in the shop right above the machines. Perfectly fine for Andy who is sitting at the desk and watching his silly illegal movies, but the wiffs you get when opening the CNC machine doors every 2~3min is like nothing I've smoked before. $6k fan.... use-Fn-less lollll

@David - I'll run another batch of those in a few weeks. That run is sold-out... already half way done and can't go backward (only have two machines loll). Wouldn't be fair for those who are waiting for their kits. So next run, I'll shoot you a note and post here no worries

@Soxfan - got ya. As soon as I get back to the render workstation I'll draft something for you bud. Let's see what it looks like first
Old 03-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #146

Garage
I'll probably get in the line to purchase when you make the second manufacturing run.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:46 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
I'll probably get in the line to purchase when you make the second manufacturing run.
Hey Don - very unlikely I'll be doing another run but will try my very best. Certainly won't happen anytime soon I'm sure of that :/ Perhaps early summer if all goes as plan on my side. We'll see...
Old 03-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #148

Quick update:

I have a new coolant pump, and the accuracy of my cnc turning center have never been better! Seriously, the Acetal dust from previous machining got stuck in a small T pipe in-the-tool-turret... as-in where the coolant comes out :/ Long story short, I have a new pump! and clean turret internals (and wasted 1.5 full day/night of work)

Other than that, got 986 million adapters fully machined. And yes I've "vacuum" the milling center this time. Can't afford another of those pump lolll

Inspection on the adapeter next (once they are cleaned) and we are done with that part! I'll let you know how many failed lollll

In a meantime, I'm doing the center aluminum caps this Wed, Thurs and Fri!

In the Media this week:

^ Got a few more than a few of those adapters. Hopefully they will all be within the 0.05 tolerance/spec after inspection. For a 4 (four) operations part, that'd be a miracle lolll

^ The Great Porsche Center Cap is not all that easy to do. Following pic showing the 3 lathe operations + 1 multi-axis milling... and that is just for the adapter!

^ Custom precision fixture to machine the third op. This is the most critical as we need parallelism and concentrically down to 0.05mm precision. The four screw do just that... adjust the concentrically (trade secrets online, there you go...)

^ Done with the Acetal! That machine needed a serious clean-up :/ Acetal is fun to machine but got to be vacuum after... so I've recently learn :/

^ Moving to the last operation (multiaxis milling). Following 3 pics are visuals of the another custom precision fixture (jig). These fixtures just take 1.5 days to do sometimes... they are as good as the required precision of the part they accommodate.

^ Favorite tooling for dialing the 4axis and fixture. All have to be withon 0.05mm. Ridiculous for a center caps I know but hey... they are for Porsche cars

Last edited by Nine8Six; 03-07-2017 at 06:58 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #149

Thanks for the update, Fred! Ignore the first part of the PM I just sent you!
thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #150

No worries, I'll respond as soon as I find out myself. Give me a few days

Some clips I've put together last Sunday (tried, anyway). I'm a VJ lolll

That fixture above, on the picture. Funny how it takes 1+min to setup the blank part in it but it takes 23seconds to machine. Frustrating when this scenario happen. God bless robots

Real-time setup and machining

CAM Simulation of the adapter

Last edited by Nine8Six; 03-07-2017 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Fixed in the correct 16:9 HD ratio/size (amateur loll)
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:15 AM   #151

I haven't seen any sort of confirmation, so I really, really, really hope I'm on the list...
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #152

Very cool videos!!!

Last edited by steved0x; 03-08-2017 at 10:05 AM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:10 AM   #153

Garage
look at that machine work it!

Amazing job as always Fred
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
I haven't seen any sort of confirmation, so I really, really, really hope I'm on the list...
You certainly are bud! Keeping those black on silver just for you (no script)

The one who I fear "is out" is myself. Not sure I'll have enough as I've just thrown 2 kits (7x adapters) in the bin a few hours ago. Took a break from the noise and cleaned & inspected them one-by-one. Goes quick after your third coffee

Bench top style, as-in manual inspection here. The every sane person's suicidal tendencies test! The repetitive hypnosis....

dangerous job man

We average 0.02~0.03mm tolerance on the parallelism. Meaning, if you are driving your posrche car at the speed-of-sound, or above?!, then the kit should (will) prematurely fail. If installed on anything else than a space ship, that kit should (will) be good for life

^ That is the kind of part that some may consider 'semi-precision' (in USA, Germany for instance). In China they consider this 'unpractical' lolll
Old 03-09-2017, 04:12 PM   #155

Garage
Fascinating stuff, Fred. Kudos!
Old 03-10-2017, 12:28 AM   #156

Quote:
You certainly are bud! Keeping those black on silver just for you (no script)
Yeah... About that...
Is it too late to email you an idea for laser engraving?
I'm a watch geek as well, and I just thought of something without a text, that slightly resembles the bezel ring on a diver watch...

I have it in Illustrator format, with the correct measurements too.
(Obviously, the triangle should be aligned straight above the Porsche crest.)

Edit: Never mind mailing, it's here: http://home.fridsten.se/tmp/center-caps.ai
(Having a web server at home is a good thing. )

Last edited by fridsten; 03-11-2017 at 01:48 AM.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #157

Send a message via Skype™ to Terryg
Still watching you Fred, amazing stuff!
Terry
Terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #158

@Terry - thanks bud. Trying to entertain the best I can

@fridsten - Perfectly doable and looking forward. I'll shoot my addy as soon as I'm ready to laser. Keep this vector ready, lookin'goog (1+week)

Quick update:

Firstly, I apologize to all who are waiting for this kit. This seems to be slightly taking longer than initially planed and hoped for :/ I bet you will all appreciate that I also have other things to do in between. Such as walking my two dogs @ midnight every single day (sometimes twice!). That's right, priority #1 are my puppies, sorry fellas loll

Anyway, at least we are going in the right direction. Nothing is rushed so everything is going smooth and as planned(technically, anyway).

We we're hoping for the Best Porsche Center Caps In-The-Wolrd, and from the look of it, we are going to get just that!!!

In the Media this week:

^ This is what is turning in Shanghai! 6x half meter long 50mm diameter aluminum rods.... To make the center/center - the part that accomodate the badge!

^ Very (very) satisfied with the performance of that little lathe. Getting some pretty yummy parts of it it. A little 2x tons lathe... should, right?!

^ That pile of centers (left hand side) are failed right off the machining lolll. Took a while to setup (external) coolant to spray correctly so to not have chips ruining te parts. Some literally flew off the cutter and knocked on solid steel leaving marks about the size of our universe :/ Good throw coins for sure lolll

^ More precision fixture machining. Those are soft-jaws (aluminum) and meant at clamping the parts without leaving 'marks' on them. Had to do two sets... one for the centers and one for the main cap itself.

^ An idea of how the fixture (vise blocks) works out

^ Here a shot of the vise with the un-featured softjaws. I'll bore this tomorrow late evening (can;t wait)

^ The milling center I have here is so well trammed and squared, I am able to square these block within more or less 0.005mm tolerance with this tool alone - A face milling cutter. Watch your fingers (and wrists, I thinkloll)

So yea... all good fun for sure! Thanks for watching guys... I'll update in the end of the week with the latest. This thing should start to take shape by then.

Some Videos:

Real-time setup and machining

CAM Simulation of the adapter
Old 03-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #159

Send a message via Skype™ to Terryg
I am in no hurry so don't feel pressured! On another issue does that mean the lettering can say anything or is there a lot of work involved in changing the wording?
Terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #160

Don't know if I missed the boat but if possible I would love two sets: a gunmetal set with silver cap and a red set. If you have some still let me know how to pay you.

Regardless of whether I get into this buy or not, your work is absolutely STUNNING!

2000 C2 Aero - Track Car
1965 Dodge Coronet 440 - Nostalgia
lowpue is offline   Reply With Quote