Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2017, 08:57 PM   #181

These look amazing, Fred, can't wait!

thatguychad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #182

Quick update

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Carfahrer View Post
Beautiful work!! The results of high end machining is jewelry to me. What CAD platform do you use?

If you ever make another run I am definitely in.
Current CAD geometric modeling is parasolid, platform is Siemens NX. I also have/used SolidWorks but its been long unmaintained (unpaid) since 2+ years now. Prefer NX in all honesty, slightly more complex than SolidWorks but does a million things better at the end of the day.

No plan (as off now) for another production of those but if I ever do, I'll refer back to this thread and PM you bud. Let's see if we can get those 25+kits out first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryg View Post
Looking good Fred, quite like the shiny, not for me though!
Wife actually mentioned when she saw that set arriving at home; "you're sure your friends will like that shinny thing?!". Luckily for us anodizing cuts off a good 25% reflection Could look nice on a Bentley though, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguychad View Post
These look amazing, Fred, can't wait!
Thanks bud! Me the first, quite anxious to have them all anodized and a kit snapped on my wheels :/

Quick Update:

^ Last operation completed. Involves milling 16 side slots around the cap

^ Makes for some great visual here. Shows all of the machined features of the main cap, thread, center bore, side slots, and the greasy Castrol coolant layer on top of them all loll

^ Same caps, on the workbench after inspection. Each and every one of them went under the mic for tolerance checks. Reject=two only! Possibly due to some debris left over from the previous op (human error!)

^ $200 worth of carbide end mills and inserts heading for the bin. They certainly did a great job. Some of those could be re-used but most machinists prefer fresh and sharp cutters when starting a new job So... off they go!

^ Garbage?! That's right, I am sharing with you what the garbage looks like after a job like that. Recycler-man loves those swarfs and so do I. I get $1 per KG of that stuff lolll You are looking at a fat $40 worth of garbage here!

^ All packed up and sitting right next the shop's exit door. Heading down to my secret anodizing facility (anodizing is illegal in my area, can't be done at my shop or/at the cost of being fined quite a lot).

Quick vid ~ those were quite a lot of holes (thanks to Beats for providing great headphone (ear protection systems!)

NEXT:

Taking orders and Anodizing! I'll shoot a PM this Saturday to all who've shown interest in this thread, letting you know how to proceed for payment and what to expect! Would do this tomorrow but it's my dog's quarterly vet visit + I'm cooking for friends in the evening :/ Talk again this Sat, fellas!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 04-06-2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: fixed shaky vid
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:53 PM   #183

Garage
Fred, you do absolutely amazing work! I really don't need center caps, I am actually happy with how mine wheels look, but I almost want to order a set just to display on my mantle! Seriously, you produce some beautiful stuff!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:25 PM   #184

Send a message via Skype™ to Terryg
All looking good Fred, I'll keep an eye out for your PM
Terry
Terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #185

This is looking better and better!
No PM yet, though...
Edit: I got a PM!

Last edited by fridsten; 04-10-2017 at 01:53 AM.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:02 AM   #186

PM sent. Apologies for the delay.

Lovely weekend although pissing rain and cold. We've spent it all at the circuit (Chinese GP) and partied most of y'day with the organizers (early start at 19:00). Helen my wife is still sleeping now and its Monday 18:00 (ouch!). We came back at 04:30.

Love mosports
Old 04-10-2017, 04:27 AM   #187

And I've placed my order.
I didn't bother with the custom laser script, though. :P
Old 04-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #188

And me order placed and paid. Can't wait to see them.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #189

I'm in, thanks Fred, can't wait to get them on my car!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #190

HI Fred,

Got the message just a quick question about the black centre, is the default just aluminium? If so I'll pay the extra 10 bucks and get it black.

Terry
Old 04-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #191

@Rob and @Paul
Thanks fellas, well received!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridsten View Post
And I've placed my order.
I didn't bother with the custom laser script, though. :P
Haha, it works!!! That extra $25 was to discourage anyone who wanted to get this laser job custom loll The more custom jobs we have to do = the longer it takes for everyone to get their caps (I'm one of those that wants them soon'er loll)

However yours looks fairly easy so if you are happy to wait after I've shipped out the standard kits, I'll get the custom laser done on yours no extra cost bud. Already agreed to in a previous post (I think). Let me know if that's okay with you (e.g. +3~4 days, not the end of the world)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryg View Post
HI Fred,

Got the message just a quick question about the black centre, is the default just aluminium? If so I'll pay the extra 10 bucks and get it black.

Terry
Terry, you are correct. The default is clear anodized on the center, therefore silver color. If you want them all black that's going to cost ya! The little Anocalc I have here compute $1.60 for each center in black anodized (the dye, seriously). Thought I'd raise that to $2.5 each (2.5 sounds better loll)

At that rate I should become billionaire in 287years; there some ambitious life goal

Just ordered a fresh/backup of black dye from Japan a week ago. TAC: 1KG=$620... to give you an idea :/
Old 04-10-2017, 11:08 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Haha, it works!!! That extra $25 was to discourage anyone who wanted to get this laser job custom loll The more custom jobs we have to do = the longer it takes for everyone to get their caps (I'm one of those that wants them soon'er loll)

However yours looks fairly easy so if you are happy to wait after I've shipped out the standard kits, I'll get the custom laser done on yours no extra cost bud. Already agreed to in a previous post (I think). Let me know if that's okay with you (e.g. +3~4 days, not the end of the world)
Why, you...
Thanks a million for offering. I actually think I prefer them without any laser script at all, though, if that's not too much work.

In fact, I ought to get them cheaper that way...
Old 04-11-2017, 02:01 AM   #193

Quote:
In fact, I ought to get them cheaper that way...
No-No cheap here bud, I wish (sincerely). Would you believe we've estimated that roughly 65hrs went into making the fixtures and programing. Not accounting for the CAD and validation (CAE) of the models (that's extra). Just for a 20x manufacture-prep-run, and at my hourly rate, you are looking at a >$600 kit there lolll

Gift for you: The Best-in-the-World Porsche 'stick' LOL I'm soon going to make this FREE for you to download (on request only). Sort of an opportunity for any of you to become a manufacturer for one day! Model can be sent to your nearest 3D printing, you get to do the surface treatment and detail it with some super-duper expansive metallic paint. Recommend 'metal' 3D printing, makes it easier to polish afterward

Personal/hobby use only; can't be sold. That is actually a very expansive Porsche item ($900 if I'm not mistaken).

^ The one without the 1-2-3-4-5-6-R hat is for the Tiptronic. The one that goes in my car lolll

^ This is 'surface' modeling. All driven with industry standard G1~G2 curves and I think I have 2 or 3 splines in there that are G3 continuity. Expansive stuff :/

^ Career for the less-than-sane individuals - don't try this at home
Old 04-11-2017, 02:14 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
No-No cheap here bud, I wish (sincerely). Would you believe we've estimated that roughly 65hrs went into making the fixtures and programing. Not accounting for the CAD and validation (CAE) of the models (that's extra). Just for a 20x manufacture-prep-run, and at my hourly rate, you are looking at a >$600 kit there lolll
I believe you, and I wasn't being serious.

Last edited by fridsten; 04-11-2017 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:19 AM   #195

Quote:
I believe you, and I wasn't being serious.
Of course not, brother. Its allll part of the show, remember
Old 04-11-2017, 02:38 AM   #196

Thanks Fred, will pay that today.

Terry
Old 04-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #197

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Sent you an email fred
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:32 AM   #198

Now paid

Terry
Old 04-12-2017, 07:49 AM   #199

Terry, confirmed mate, just saw that. Oh man you will love those blk-on-blk. We'll have the same, that is what goes on my wheels here also (friends for life loll)

3 kits left (so sad) :/ Just waiting for the 3 remaining members who've I've promised those too. We'll give them until this coming weekend before they go to someone else

@Martin - reserving a kit for you bud (and pls don't forget my msg for your bro)
Old 04-12-2017, 08:43 AM   #200

Is it too late to get in on these? They are nothing short of fantastic and the price more than reasonable.

Filastein is offline   Reply With Quote