Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 03:20 AM   #101

Taking pre-orders

At the shop this weekend prepping everything to do a run of those center caps. If any of you guys are interested in a kit, they'll run for $145 per set of 4 (four). Anodized in the color of your choice (gun metal gray, black, red, and blue) and I'll get them laser'ed as per visuals (see previous page).

Chance of a lifetime for your Porsche wheels! I don't have any plans on making many and very unlikely will be doing more this year as I plan on getting busy with other things.

Fits any Porsche wheels (except the new Macan wheels). Direct replacement of the oem center caps - plug & play!

Let me know

ps: For custom order, price may vary... based on requirements.

Old 02-11-2017, 04:12 AM   #102

Wish I had the spare cash to buy these in the middle of a career change so it's all up in the air!

Some day I absolutely will though, I love these.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Wish I had the spare cash to buy these in the middle of a career change so it's all up in the air!

Some day I absolutely will though, I love these.
Career change can be a good thing! I've been trying to get my employer to accept my resignation 5 or 6 times during the past 17 years - totally unsuccessful attempts each and every time. They even own my dining table. My dogs are mine though

Lucky you and congrats!

ps: you want the black-on-black caps with the gold Porsche badge on those black wheels. Those are the ones I'm personally going for, can't wait. Promise to post pics to make you regret LOL
Old 02-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Career change can be a good thing! I've been trying to get my employer to accept my resignation 5 or 6 times during the past 17 years - totally unsuccessful attempts each and every time. They even own my dining table. My dogs are mine though

Lucky you and congrats!

ps: you want the black-on-black caps with the gold Porsche badge on those black wheels. Those are the ones I'm personally going for, can't wait. Promise to post pics to make you regret LOL
I'll give you a shout when I do the wheels

And thanking you! Started a new career as a lecturer in the University that I went to 10 years ago. It's all good just a bit up in the air as I'm still working my old job and am trying to migrate fully!

But yeah, those black wheel caps would look gorgeous.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:14 AM   #105

Pm sent for a set if you are still looking for orders, gunmetal grey but I really don't know what would really look best on a yellow car! Just too good an opportunity to let slide by.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk
RichRobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:58 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRobby View Post
Just too good an opportunity to let slide by.
Those leaked out on the local forums here and Japan and now at 33 kits/orders. Thanks to friend Andy who I'm sure is reading these :/ Hopefully you guys here won't need too many otherwise I'll end up doing this all summer long lolll

RE Shipping: Had 6 (six) pm here and 5 out of 6 asked how much for shipping so I'll type this here instead of replying each PM. The kit is extra-lightweight and fit in a small jiffy envelope - protected by bubble-wrap. So expect something in the range of $20~30 International. That is Express Air Shipping (7~10days eta). If for some reason you are on a real tight budget I'm sure I can ship out using sea for a fraction of this price (20~30days eta however).

Rob - Speed Yellow; one of my favorite car to render! If your wheel is silver then definitely Gun Metal Gray will do just what this wheel deserve mate

Old 02-12-2017, 02:28 AM   #107

Quote:
Speed Yellow; one of my favorite car to render! If your wheel is silver then definitely Gun Metal Gray will do just what this wheel deserve mate
Thanks for the pictures, looks superb and I am in for set of possible please.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:46 AM   #108

So to be clear price is 165.00 - 175.00 shipped to the U.S. correct ?
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:55 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
So to be clear price is 165.00 - 175.00 shipped to the U.S. correct ?
That's right bud. Declared as 'GIFT', no border tax, direct to your front door. You pay for the materials, carbide/PCD cutters, electricity and my super duper expansive bubble-wrap and off they go!

You end up with the best looking & coolest Porsche Center Caps in-the-world

Friends-for-life!
Old 02-12-2017, 05:32 AM   #110

Quote:
That's right bud. Declared as 'GIFT', no border tax, direct to your front door. You pay for the materials, carbide/PCD cutters, electricity and my super duper expansive bubble-wrap and off they go!

You end up with the best looking & coolest Porsche Center Caps in-the-world

Friends-for-life!
I sent you a PM - I'm in for a set in gunmetal gray, just give me details on how to pay!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #111

Thanks Paul, PM received.

I've received a few others PM which I am also acknowledging here (thanks guys).

I am reaching to you guys now to have an idea of how many I need to plan for the board, so to adjust material qty. Acetal is not exactly cheap and the last thing I want is to be stuck with a 10 meters long leftover lolll

Once I have the caps lined-up on the workbench and ready for anodizing, only then I'll request for payment. Obviously the fellas who've shown interest by either posting here or PM will have priority
Old 02-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #112

Hello from the Shop

Just a quick hello from the official GTCollection Shop floor! Its a "massive" 118 sq meter floor, 15 minutes driving from downtown Shanghai and cost more in rent than a penthouse flat in downtown Montreal. Welcome to Shanghai, the land of the rip-offs.

Those two CNC are now powered ON and won't shutdown for the next 2~3weeks, or until I am done with a few things I need machining. Few things; that includes those center caps obviously but also have to turn & mill some precision sleeves for a customer back in the UK (he just need 300 lolll).

Views from the back of the shop floor, controllers for both the high speed cnc mill, the horizontal turning center and a shot of the turret that I've populated this eve.

Last shot is the cozy desk of the guy who is cleaning that shop after each day, The Janitor! That's all there is to do there - cleaning. Machines does the rest really.

I'll try to take better shots.... if I don't forget my DSLR cam next time

Old 02-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #113

Garage
I am in for one , red please
Can't wait!

Randy
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #114

I'm in!

I think I mentioned this on the first page, but you might have thought I was joking... so I'll clarify. I'm in for a set. I assume the gunmetal for my standard grey wheels and black car, unless you might recommend something else. :-)

I'll PM you with more information...

-Troy

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:57 PM   #115

Randy, Troy. Well received! I'll have those ready for you guys in a week or two.

Troy - gun metal gray for silver wheels bud. Guarantee to look humble & classy. If the car is tricked and comes with red calipers then go crazy, those red are pretty sweet also. For the all-black wheels, you want the black-on-black caps (now those are killer looking in person, my fav in all honesty).

I'll get some renders done with all available combo/colors in a few... so we can see what's what. We still got plenty of time to decide about colors anyway

Old 02-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #116

I'm in for 2 sets per my PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:53 PM   #117

Garage
How long will you be taking preorders? I'm interested, but in the process of buying new wheels, and not sure if I'll end up with black (would want red) or silver (would want gun metal), or how much I will end up spending on wheels!
rc_bxstr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:25 PM   #118

Quote:
Randy, Troy. Well received! I'll have those ready for you guys in a week or two.
How are they progressing ?
My wife is nagging for present ideas for my birthday in a fortnight and these would have been ideal.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #119

Saw something in the local Craigslist that reminded me of these center caps...

[from a 2016 Porsche 911 twin-turbo]

Old 02-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Saw something in the local Craigslist that reminded me of these center caps...
Pffff... mine are sooooooo much better (so so much better LOL).

Pretty much done with the adapter both in & out. You should see the mess... its even sticking to the ceiling above the machine. Cutting acetal, hmmm

Took a few more shots of the shop few days ago when I took reception of the aluminum rods! See next to my Castrol can of cutting oil/fluid. Its an alllll "very safe" shop lollll nothing can cut off your fingers, roll your torso around a lathe chuck, nor poison you with 17 mixed petroleum based chemicals. Of course not... meeting international standards ladies and gent (coughsss)

^ And yes, we are only using PCD inserts (lathe cutters) to turn our parts, incl our Porsche center caps of course. That black cutting edge is diamond my friends. The surface finishes on the aluminum + using Castrol's specials(!) is simply phenomenal. Something nearly impossible to achieve with standard HSS or carbide tools. Those in that pic aren't cheapo inserts lollll (from Japan).

^ Soon to be xfer into Porsche wheel center caps... those cutters you see above are nasty things, razor sharp btw lolll

___