Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by U986S View Post
I really need a set of these! My wheels are the 17s on a 02 Boxster S. Black outer eadge with red center with colored crest. How much and how do I pay?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Those really look great. What do they cost?

Where did you get them?

Thanks
You guys should read the entire thread...
There's no way to buy them at the moment. You might, if Fred (Nine8Six) decides to do a second run.

fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc2050 View Post
Go back to the first page of this thread and do a little reading.
Looks like more than a "little" reading. 😲
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #343
Beginner

Garage
Hey Fred, These look look great, I've got the wind deflector, the headlights, and count me in for center caps if you're up for another run. Kicking myself for not catching this the first go round. If you're bored and want to have another go at these PM me so I can be first on the list!
Old 06-14-2017, 04:02 AM   #344

If another run Id like a set also.

Thanks
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #345

me too! buy a couple possibly
0piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #346

I would be honored to buy a set off you. I will not give up my reservation this time! :-)

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:05 AM   #347

I have the pleasure to report that I have now tracked the car with these center caps on without any issues. Granted I don't think I went faster than around 100 mph (160 kph), they were still in place and properly aligned afterwards.
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:36 AM   #348

Thanks for reporting, we haven't track them here yet. Shanghai is rain rain and rain for the next month :/ Lucky you bud

Centrifugal force; meaning the faster you go the stronger they clamp. They are rated at 22,000RPM before they 'begin' to explode (according to Nastran). Your track day wheels shouldn't really exceed 3,000RPM so you should be good to go again - and again!

The only problem with these caps imo is the cost of that Acetal. Excellent material but just bloody expansive. Werks... all it matters I guess
Old 06-19-2017, 12:00 PM   #349

Fathers Day

Well, my two sons surprised me with a set of these beautiful caps. I have been emailing Fred to please make more. Little did I know he and my boys were in cahoots. And he kept the secret beautifully. What a surprise! The caps are absolutely a work of art. If he makes another run I will definitely get another set. It's great to know that my sons went to that much effort and I've also got a little bit of Fred always riding with me. Thanks Fred!!!
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 PM   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
Well, my two sons surprised me with a set of these beautiful caps. I have been emailing Fred to please make more. Little did I know he and my boys were in cahoots. And he kept the secret beautifully. What a surprise! The caps are absolutely a work of art. If he makes another run I will definitely get another set. It's great to know that my sons went to that much effort and I've also got a little bit of Fred always riding with me. Thanks Fred!!!
Haha, great father's day gift!

Your sons chased up that kit for you every single weeks of the development, just so to make sure you get your kit. Cool kids!

Thanks Jim
Old 06-20-2017, 08:50 AM   #351

Garage
A few additional images...

Old 06-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #352

Magically beautiful car (and wheels), Kevin. Thank you so much for sharing those amazing shots. Friends-for-life brother
Old 06-25-2017, 08:17 AM   #353

Center caps

Hi Fred,

These are great and I am interested in purchasing them. Are they still available? If so, please provide the details. Thanks.

Alfredo
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #354
Custom User Title Here

Garage
These sure are nice looking, but I'd never get away with them here.
I have too many gear head friends that would call me a poser for having fake spin locks.

Too bad.

Maybe you should make some flush fit lug bolt hole caps.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieg23 View Post
Hi Fred,

These are great and I am interested in purchasing them. Are they still available? If so, please provide the details. Thanks.

Alfredo
Pm sent Sir.

We'll have them again, but late summer not before. Custom made-to-order and limited to members only. You design your own, you say:I do. Tk again in Aug/Sept!

Adding custom airbrush /w basf chemical coating service, 0.15mm thickness only lol. One color though: 918's Yellow/Green Edition. Identical replica tone; like this little guy here
Old 06-25-2017, 01:45 PM   #356

I am with Particle on that one. They are really beautiful, but the fact that they appear to be something they are not (centerlocks) would likely subject me to ridicule and psychological distress. And the detail of my Sport Design wheels is already a pain to clean
But if they were flush and easier to clean, not suggestive of centerlocks just very nice wheel centers, with a center emblem that doesn't fall off and no paint that can peel, well then I would probably have to restrain myself to stop at 2 sets.
Seems like such a thing would be a chip shot for a man with your talents. Any chance you might do such a thing as part of the second run?
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #357

Not entirely sure what ridicule and psy distress means or feels like. But did heard/read about it a little e.g. facebook kids-bullying-kids, is it the same thing?

Center lock style indeed, Porsche wheel aftermarket accessories, to entertain a wheel, its driver, fun, looks expansive! NOT meant at entertaining another 911 Porsche car owner who shoes a $12,000 wheel set LOLL His stock wheels worth twice what my boxster worth... scope for more bully perhaps?!

No plans on re-designing this particular kit, I actually love them, but might eventually have more than a few ideas for dressing-up sport wheels. Unlikely, as you can clearly see the amount of work that goes into these, but would be cool though. Same concept... center of rot, protruding features with a clean visual, simple wheel touch!

Don't forget to smile when you drive guys
Old 06-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Adding custom airbrush /w basf chemical coating service, 0.15mm thickness only lol. One color though: 918's Yellow/Green Edition. Identical replica tone; like this little guy here
^ picture this inside a concave black wheel, sporty car... how bloody nice would that be. Insanely cool looking wheel gadgets if you ask me

(psy distress... lolllllllllll)
Old 06-25-2017, 07:42 PM   #359

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
A few people have tried to make comments about them being fake Center caps... but that has come from Honda civics with wings on the back of them. If you like them put them on and don't worry what others think.

Flush lug nut covers would be great though
Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:29 PM   #360
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Maybe just some without the flutes? Just a smooth, round protrusion? I would think they would be easier to machine, too. Just thinking out loud, bud!

Regardless, gorgeous works of art, as always!

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote