Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #421

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgriffin View Post
Here's a quick pic I took of my new headlights. They look better than I expected, and I can Finally see where I'm driving at night charles, you were awesome to deal with, and worked miracles on those old headlights to get them to look like this. I feel a renewed love for my boxster now! I can't t say thank you enough!
-Richard Griffin
Hi Richard

I didn't see the before and after but I can tell from your tone that you are very happy with what Chales did to them. I bet he added some UV protective coating to them as well. You couldn't have find better guy in the whole of the USA to restore those. Good on ya mate

The picture you took, that doesn't work tho sorry Let's see the front-end of your car on a overcast day or at sunset. Nice weather coming so no excuse for not detailing that deep black Boxster before a photo shoot

Thanks for confirming again that Charles "is the man".

Old 04-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Thank you, Richard!
I received a $50 gift card from Richard today in thanks for doing the job for him. He really didn't have to do that, but it just speaks to the quality of people that occupy this forum.
You lucky bugger :/

RE "the quality of people that occupy this forum".

^^^ yep, and you Charles is ranking sky-high on that list. Nice work bro
Old 04-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #423
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Hi Richard

I didn't see the before and after but I can tell from your tone that you are very happy with what Chales did to them. I bet he added some UV protective coating to them as well. You couldn't have find better guy in the whole of the USA to restore those.
I'm actually still quite the amateur at lens restoration. The inside of the lens is no problem because there's no coating and I can polish them quite easily. However, the outer lens has the UV coating which is very hard to get through. I have yet to find a method of removing the UV layer without causing deep scratches that take hours to wet sand out.

I appreciate the compliments, but I still have a long way to go. The only reason I did Richards was because they were in such bad shape that I could do no wrong.
I'll keep at it, though

Here's a before shot of Richards. I hope you don't mind.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:14 PM   #424

I think I fully understand what Richard meant by 'miracle' now.

Geezz man... you just never stop to surprise
Old 04-23-2014, 07:00 AM   #425

Garage
Amateur? You are too humble Charles, seriously nice work Those before pictures are going to get you even more work!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgriffin View Post
They look better than I expected
ROTFLMAO. A bit of an understatement based on the before pictures! Classy acts you both are. Well done!

Time to start sending Particlewave worse and worse headlights. Maybe from the wrong car... I think I have some from an 1972 Opal Cadet. I'll tell him they are for an 02 Boxster and see what happens...

2002 Boxster S
2006 Cayman S
N0tt0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #427
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0tt0N View Post
ROTFLMAO. A bit of an understatement based on the before pictures! Classy acts you both are. Well done!

Time to start sending Particlewave worse and worse headlights. Maybe from the wrong car... I think I have some from an 1972 Opal Cadet. I'll tell him they are for an 02 Boxster and see what happens...
Hahaha! Funny stuff...

Relays are in, guys

Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #428

Garage
Quote:
Hahaha! Funny stuff...

Relays are in, guys
Woo Hoo:dance:
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #429

Garage
Quote:
I'm actually still quite the amateur at lens restoration. The inside of the lens is no problem because there's no coating and I can polish them quite easily. However, the outer lens has the UV coating which is very hard to get through. I have yet to find a method of removing the UV layer without causing deep scratches that take hours to wet sand out.

I appreciate the compliments, but I still have a long way to go. The only reason I did Richards was because they were in such bad shape that I could do no wrong.
My lenses were almost as bad as Richard's. Followed Fred's advice. Wet sand with 1200 grit until no yellow stuff comes off anymore. I didn't have any finer grit sand paper lying around, but rubbing two pieces of 1200 grit together takes their edge off enough to mimic a finer grit. Sanded with those until I didn't see any deep scratches anymore. Then used the step pads of a Turtle Wax Headlight Restorer Kit for a while. Finally used the polishing stuff that comes with that kit on a buffer with modest speed. Used spare amounts of polisher and just kept at it until happy with the result. The whole process is about 2 to 3 hours per headlight.

Btw, I see that Richard's rubber seals are as much turned into mush as mine. Any way to fix this?

Bbtw, what do you use for UV protection?
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:37 PM   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn View Post
Btw, I see that Richard's rubber seals are as much turned into mush as mine. Any way to fix this?
I've retrofitted a Carrera a few months ago (3~4months) and use the below high density foam held by a few drops of rtv silicon. Still looking as new today. Not a perfect seal 'as rubber would do' but visually it is the same. Looks 100x times better than nothing at all or the old melted rubber anyway.

Not tested. I have no idea if this HD foam material will last "years" under heavy UV and sun heat. It is however definitely good to use as a quick replacement until you find a donor/oem rubber seal.

Everywhere on ebay in many sizes... $1 type item. DIY fun

Old 04-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #431
Custom User Title Here

Garage
This stuff is a pretty good fit and is self adhesive
Not perfect though...The fit is tight on the sides and loose up top.

Frost King E/O 5/16 in. x 1/4 in. x 17 ft. Rubber Weather-Strip Tape-V25BA at The Home Depot

Last edited by particlewave; 05-01-2014 at 04:31 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #432
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn View Post
My lenses were almost as bad as Richard's. Followed Fred's advice. Wet sand with 1200 grit until no yellow stuff comes off anymore. I didn't have any finer grit sand paper lying around, but rubbing two pieces of 1200 grit together takes their edge off enough to mimic a finer grit. Sanded with those until I didn't see any deep scratches anymore. Then used the step pads of a Turtle Wax Headlight Restorer Kit for a while. Finally used the polishing stuff that comes with that kit on a buffer with modest speed. Used spare amounts of polisher and just kept at it until happy with the result. The whole process is about 2 to 3 hours per headlight.

Bbtw, what do you use for UV protection?
Opti-lens is good stuff...any clear coat with a good UV rating is better than nothing, though.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:19 PM   #433

Quote:
The only reason I settle for the hd foam was to fight the 'fitting' issue. Tried some rubber seal but I just couldn't get the thing to 'squeeze' enough to fit the headlight in place. Those are normally industrial stiff :/ Tried smaller rubber seal but then.... worked just fine but no seal, water would have gone inside the fender like in the Niagara falls.

The HD foam made the fit so (too) easy, tight squeeze, perfect seal, no water and all but again.... not sure if the stuff will last years. I'm thinking NOT but we just never know
Old 04-23-2014, 11:33 PM   #434

Charles, if you still got some around take the measurement and I'll look around for it. Guessing this is made in my backyard here anyway so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Frost King lollll the name some gives to their products sometimes....
Old 04-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #435
Custom User Title Here

Garage
To be honest, I have not actually tried it, but a few customers have. They said the same thing;
The fit is tight on the sides and loose up top.

This may require some garage R & D, lol
Old 04-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #436

I say srew it, finding the oem rubber from a dismantler of buy damaged headlight from a member is what needs to be done. Long term "fix" wise anyway
Old 04-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #437

Garage
The crazy thing of course is that Porsche is not selling this seal separately from the rest of the assembly.
All these seals are turning into mush after a couple of years, so getting them from a dismantler or so just postpones the inevitable.
Fred, Charles, thanks for the suggestions. I think I have actually some of the Frost-King stuff lying around. I used it for its intended purpose, i.e. sealing doors and windows, but I was never very impressed with the quality. I'll get some of the high density foam.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:27 AM   #438

It is disturbing that Porsche does not have this headlight seal as a separate replaceable item. But as it turns out I know someone that makes aftermarket rubber seals ! He currently makes many Porsche seals for the older air cooled cars. I sent him an email asking if he would be interested in looking into making these and he said he is. But to do that he needs at the very least a small sample but preferably one complete seal. Does anyone have one they can give up for the R&D effort ? For my recently departed Porsche I had almost every seal he sells and they all fit and were of equal or better quality than OEM. I have no idea if this will come to fruition or not but it's worth a shot. I have nothing to gain from this just trying to help myself and the community. If anyone has a seal they can donate please send me a PM and we'll go from there. Should I post this anywhere else on this forum ?
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #439
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Richard,

I have one spare passenger side. It's a little gummy on one end, but it's all there.
By the way, I did not put your seals back on before shipping your headlights because they were pretty gummy and I didn't want to risk tearing them, so I'll just leave that to you. I included them in a separate Ziploc bag with the screws

I'll send the spare seal to you on Monday.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #440

Great I may end up being the guinea pig for this development !

2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote