View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #429
nieuwhzn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I'm actually still quite the amateur at lens restoration. The inside of the lens is no problem because there's no coating and I can polish them quite easily. However, the outer lens has the UV coating which is very hard to get through. I have yet to find a method of removing the UV layer without causing deep scratches that take hours to wet sand out.

I appreciate the compliments, but I still have a long way to go. The only reason I did Richards was because they were in such bad shape that I could do no wrong.
My lenses were almost as bad as Richard's. Followed Fred's advice. Wet sand with 1200 grit until no yellow stuff comes off anymore. I didn't have any finer grit sand paper lying around, but rubbing two pieces of 1200 grit together takes their edge off enough to mimic a finer grit. Sanded with those until I didn't see any deep scratches anymore. Then used the step pads of a Turtle Wax Headlight Restorer Kit for a while. Finally used the polishing stuff that comes with that kit on a buffer with modest speed. Used spare amounts of polisher and just kept at it until happy with the result. The whole process is about 2 to 3 hours per headlight.

Btw, I see that Richard's rubber seals are as much turned into mush as mine. Any way to fix this?

Bbtw, what do you use for UV protection?
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote