Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #1421

Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Can't beat the look are or not

Fintro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:06 AM   #1422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Jake, not a hassle at all bud. I'll get those rendered and published here for us to see and judge what's the best way forward. The VIVO will look amazing without the holes, kinda tactical looking (i.e. serious look).

Let's see, give me a few days for those to come out
Cool - thanks Fred!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Mine is the stock silver, no black
Thanks Bruce! Yours is really helpful for me because it basically demonstrates the highly reflective, litronic-like look I'd like to get, and it's also a lapis blue Boxster, like my '01. . So to also get this look, I think I'm also going to get those base pieces in silver.

It's also helpful to visualize what look I'd get if I deambered. So far I'm leaning towards taking my Boxster-fried eggs with a little yolk... maybe leaving the amber full-blown in the lower area of the headlights, as homepage to the awesome and timeless original Boxster prototype style, or maybe doing the '03-'04 style (factory litronic style) "small bit of amber behind the clear turn signal" look.

:chicken:
Old 02-06-2017, 04:26 AM   #1423

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Cool - thanks Fred!
Will do soon. Let me re-design this, cancel all of that useless angel eyes work, and get them back to fail-proof stage II.

I'll need to scrap all of those renderings also LOL (ouch)

Old 02-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #1424
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
That's a failing LED. Nothing you can do except replace the projector bezel.

As I've said before, they need to be on a relay so that they are off when the HIDs are on. You can't have the HIDs and LED angel eyes on at the same time or this will happen sooner or later.
Heat + LED in operation = premature failure.
Soooo glad I had you do my lights and I have the relay that turns off the Angel Eye when the Projector is on. You were ahead of the curve on this one, it's been awhile since I had you build them and the Angel Eyes are still working perfect.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #1425
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Charles, I'm looking forward to the instructions
Sorry for the delay, Bruce.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #1426
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Soooo glad I had you do my lights and I have the relay that turns off the Angel Eye when the Projector is on. You were ahead of the curve on this one, it's been awhile since I had you build them and the Angel Eyes are still working perfect.
Glad to hear it and nice to see you back around, buddy!
Old 02-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #1427

Garage
Thanks Charles, but we are too late. Last night I wanted to show off my LED's and the right headlight LED's have quite a few that are no longer working So I guess my next question is how do I just disconnect the LED's? The thing is, I really have not driven at night very much so I thought I would be ok, I guess not. Oh well.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #1428
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Charles, but we are too late. Last night I wanted to show off my LED's and the right headlight LED's have quite a few that are no longer working So I guess my next question is how do I just disconnect the LED's? The thing is, I really have not driven at night very much so I thought I would be ok, I guess not. Oh well.
That's too bad.

Disconnect the small white connector as seen in this photo.

Old 02-12-2017, 05:42 AM   #1429

Garage
Technical question, re: placement and wiring of second bulb after outer lense is removed and my inner burned lense also removed. I see the projector mounted in the top bulb hole, that`s straight forward. My question is what is the preferred method of the lower bulb hole Since the Bi-Zenon does both high and low beam and the inner lense is removed, is the original h7 bulb simply reinserted and connected to seal the assembly and eliminate bulb out dash warning light or is the hole filled with a blank to eliminate glare from h7 bulb. Thanks in advance for any help.
Checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #1430

Don't think Boxsters have bulb out warning lights.

You could either connect it as well so that the high beam bulb flashes when your dipped beams aren't on, or install a relay that switches to the bi-xenons when the dipped beams are on, and the separate bulbs when they're not.

I did the latter, but removed the relay afterwards as one of them failed on me - they were cheap Ebay relays mind!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:48 PM   #1431

Garage
Thanks for the reply. Next question: Do 2.5" or 3" Projectors fit and look better?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #1432

I use the 2.5" size lenses for the projectors you see here. Any other sizes would need to be confirmed by your seller. If he can't confirm then its all based on luck bud
Old 02-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #1433

@Checkers - I'm (slowly) building a set and have used 2.5" with a standard gatling gun style projector and they required a little bit of trimming to fit, I'd imagine anything bigger would be a tight/difficult fit.

@Nine8Six - have you considered selling the black threaded 'extension' piece at the rear of your projectors as a standalone item? From the image above it looks like a standard Morimoto/Ebay unit could just screw into it, removing the need to dremel so much from the back of the housing to get the retaining nut tightened down?
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:50 PM   #1434

Thumbs down Fire hazard - warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
@Nine8Six - have you considered selling the black threaded 'extension' piece at the rear of your projectors as a standalone item? From the image above it looks like a standard Morimoto/Ebay unit could just screw into it, removing the need to dremel so much from the back of the housing to get the retaining nut tightened down?
No man, never! I've seen and heard way too many stories that I am not going to sponsor nor get involved in with other kits than the ones that I personally manufacture in a "full aluminum body". Safe; oxygen burns faster than they is any other material to ignite (Aluminum doesn't burn lolll). DOT approved basically (unofficially).

"Anything Plastics"

Whatever seller, reputation they have.. and yes, including those eBay kits and cool looking others!. Affordable but man, what you are getting yourself involved into is far beyond what I want to participate in. Not only the bezels are made out of flammable composites, the coatings used are solvents and accelerate fire. Same goes for the cheap "optics" that comes with most of those kits bud... coatings catch fire, flames quickly to the bezel and off it goes. Watch out for hot summer days - some melt/deforms and catch fire by touching the xenon (500 degree Celsius that bulb/glass man).

You want me to help you with that?! You can't be serious... really hope you guys know what you are doing there.

I have tons of those pics, sent by friends, some taken from the Chinese forums. Even have some with US state based license plates. Cant believe it came to advertising this on my own bloody thread (I tried to avoid it since day 1 in respect to other sellers) but seeing a trend of cheap plastic kits going on here... I will only feel responsible if I don't warn you guys.

Got about 50+ pics if you need, here goes the first 5, tell me when to stop

Last edited by Nine8Six; 02-13-2017 at 03:53 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #1435

OUCH! Yikes, that is some scary stuff!!!

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #1436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy.Boxster View Post
OUCH! Yikes, that is some scary stuff!!!
This thing is f n hot. Beyond me that some goes plastic bezels on their beloved Porsche. Couldn't care less about your Honda civic tought, in fact it could be quite cool to see it burn in a downtown somewhere lollll

@oldskool73 - I know I've screwed you up when I crashed my shoulder and couldn't fullfil the order of your projectors. Sorry again man. I just can't let you go that route and to make dead sure you won't, I'll give you the first set that comes out of the next batch for FREE (just pay shipping brother). Wait, return whatever you've ordered man

(sorry for the rant btw, had to be done)
Old 02-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #1437

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
This thing is f n hot. Beyond me that some goes plastic bezels on their beloved Porsche. Couldn't care less about your Honda civic tought, in fact it could be quite cool to see it burn in a downtown somewhere lollll

@oldskool73 - I know I've screwed you up when I crashed my shoulder and couldn't fullfil the order of your projectors. Sorry again man. I just can't let you go that route and to make dead sure you won't, I'll give you the first set that comes out of the next batch for FREE (just pay shipping brother). Wait, return whatever you've ordered man

(sorry for the rant btw, had to be done)
Class act Fred
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:11 AM   #1438

Wow, amazing offer there @Nine8Six, I'd be crazy not to take you up on it.

Won't be able to return what I bought as I've already chopped into the shrouds to make them fit, but that's life.

Guess my project's on hold again for a while... Let me know when you're ready to roll again then. Thanks!

Last edited by oldskool73; 02-15-2017 at 07:58 AM.
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:19 AM   #1439

Garage
Nine8Six, when do you anticipate the next batch being ready? They look so beautiful!
Old 02-21-2017, 01:41 PM   #1440

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
Wow, amazing offer there @Nine8Six, I'd be crazy not to take you up on it.
So let's do that then! On record! I'll have a few kits ready by spring but yours are getting out of here before any others. I'll see if I can quickly anodize a kit right after I'm done with a few things here, no promises yet - give me 2~3 weeks

Sorry to hear about your other kit bro, make a crocodile night-hunting xenon flashlight with it, dunno