Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #1361
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
Particlewave does a great job. He converted mine and did some repairs.
Great job, communication and well worth the money.
Much easier than DIY
Thanks Charles

Van
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
Charles is the man. If he is offering his services to do the retrofits DO NOT hesitate taking him up on the offer. He is the absolute expert on this procedure.
Thanks guys!

I'm taking a little break right now, but you never know...

Old 10-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #1362

A few additional notes to the instructions

If you're doing the headlight conversion for the first time, here are a few things I learned yesterday that I'd like to pass along. Please correct me if I've got any of this wrong.

The 3 white retainers on the side that help hold the weatherstripping in place do not come off. They just raise a small amount and then you remove the weatherstripping by gently stretching it around the round, white head, sort of like unbuttoning a shirt. When you read the instructions, you see the headlight unit with the weatherstripping off and the 3 white things still on the headlight, but I thought this might be helpful to know.

There seem to be two ways that the clips of the corner pieces are attached to the headlight units and my car had one of each. On one type, the corner piece clip attaches directly to ears on the units, like this:

On the other type, the ears on the underside of the headlight unit are ground off, there is a special separate black bracket that goes in their place:

If you have the type with the extra black piece, they are much easier to remove without breaking a clip. I got that side off without a problem, and 2 clips broke on the other side.

I hope everyone is getting their kits, and that these notes are helpful!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #1363

@PaulE : The white 'buttons' on the side do come out (maybe don't 'need' to but I did), get something under them pry and they should pop out easily, just have little 3 little leg pins holding them in there.

Not seen the corners with the extra retainer, that seems like a much better idea! If you have the old type, heating the legs up with a heat gun or hairdryer for a few seconds first will help them flex a bit and make them less likely to snap off... wish I thought of that that the first time I tried!
oldskool73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 07:29 PM   #1364

Anyone heard anything from Nine8Six or GTCollection in a while? I purchased a set 3 weeks ago and the payment was processed by Paypal but I've had no follow up about shipping or anything since, and no response to emails sent to the GTCollection customer service address either. Also Fred's not posted in here for almost 2 months, little worried he's gone missing again...
Old 10-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #1365

Thanks oldskool73. I didn't know how hard to pry under those white things. After breaking 2 of 3 clips on one corner, and seeing I could get the weatherstrip off with them just slightly raised, I chose that route!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool73 View Post
@PaulE : The white 'buttons' on the side do come out (maybe don't 'need' to but I did), get something under them pry and they should pop out easily, just have little 3 little leg pins holding them in there.

Not seen the corners with the extra retainer, that seems like a much better idea! If you have the old type, heating the legs up with a heat gun or hairdryer for a few seconds first will help them flex a bit and make them less likely to snap off... wish I thought of that that the first time I tried!
Old 11-10-2016, 07:43 AM   #1366

Hello! i have recived and installed the projectors. looks great!

Now i just have to do the final adjustments with leveling. I have allready used them alitlebit, and run it with fog + angeleyes at daytime.

my question: is it possible to Connect hi beam to lo beam? so that when i run park lights (angel eyes) and flash hi beam the lights (ballast) become activated? have painted what i'm thinking in, inside the Orange circle.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:44 AM   #1367
Custom User Title Here

Garage
See my posts here: Dipped lights to come on with full beam
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #1368

That wouldn't work as it would also activate the full beam solenoid in the bi-xenon lens whenever you wanted dipped beams particlewave's post on my thread is how you do it!

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #1369

Exclamation

Just a PSA for anyone thinking of buying these.

At the moment Nine8Six (aka Fred, the board member who sells them) seems to be missing. I paid for a set 6 weeks ago now via the GTCollection website and have heard nothing since, had no replies to my support emails, and most importantly... got no lights.

At the moment I'd have to suggest you hold off purchasing anything from the GTCollection site as it doesn't seem like it's manned at all (although it will still charge you at checkout) and orders are not being fulfilled.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:39 AM   #1370

oldskool73 a couple pages back in this thread a little over a month ago Nine8Six talked about his internet issues in China. I'm guessing that even though he said they got a SAT phone they still have issues, because he hasn't posted anything on this forum since then. I hope Nine8Six is ok and that everyone gets their lights. Having gotten mine, I can say they were worth the wait! (although I barely got to use them before the electrical switch portion of my ignition lock crapped out and I need to fix that so I can fully enjoy them!
Old 11-17-2016, 10:44 PM   #1371

Wrong timimng :/

Helen and I have been back from Singapore since a week now... where I was initially hospitalized for nearly 3 weeks and stranded for 2 more for doctor/hospital visits.

For those of you guys who aren't aware, I had a pretty nasty high-side at about 120kph. A high-side is when the non-rear-happy race bike spit you up 2 meter above your confortable seat. I only remember flying like a kite and have no recollection of touching down... which is a good thing... a few doctors commented.

For all we know, I woke up 3 days post accident in the Shanghai Huashan hospital ICU to be air transferred to SG General on the fourth day as per med insurance request. Very pleasant, and so is the feeling of 6 broken bones scattered in my upper left arm, back ribs and shoulder.

I still have a persistent headache and neck pain but this seems to be improving every week.

Good news is I am recovering quite fast and well, no permanent damage caused(they say loll) and should be fit for office work in mid December. The bad news; my superbike MOTOGP 'wannabe' carreer is over. Little over 20+years of SBK racing TERMINATED.

Special thanks to the BUPA (medical insurance company) for caring for me in a very important way. Those of you into extreame/dangerous sports, those are the guys to go with. I am not sure how much in total but someone told me around US$60k for the package (incl a minor surgery in the shoulder).

I'll be back full throttle in a month, less the racing bit :/

Lots of catch-up to do. Missed you all
Old 11-18-2016, 03:43 AM   #1372

Get well soon!

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:28 AM   #1373

Garage
I wish you well and hope the recovery continues smoothly.
Old 11-18-2016, 05:30 AM   #1374

Wow, glad you are going to be OK! I have been to the hospital twice from road bicycle crashes, I can't imagine a motorcycle crash. PS, my headlights are done and they are amazing. Thanks Fred!

Old 11-18-2016, 07:07 AM   #1375

Garage
Get well soon Fred! Sorry to hear but glad you are on the road to recovery
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:46 AM   #1376

Garage
Get well soon Fred!
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:40 AM   #1377

Garage
Fred,
Get well soon!
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:55 PM   #1378

Wow, glad you are on the mend! Healing wishes sent your way.
-Troy

Driving this car makes me wish I lived farther away from work!
Troy.Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:59 AM   #1379
Project Addicted

Fred, The highside really does suck! I have been there too without the serious injury to my old body. Get well soonest!

Arte you still accepting order for this kit??
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:57 AM   #1380

We were hoping that you didn't visit Thailand again on your vacation due to last times unfortunate incident but hearing that you took up flying with your motorcycle is a nightmare.

Hope you heal up quick and well from your accident.

However, I see racing the Boxster in your future now
Surely it wont be long until you've figured out what else you can race.
If racing is in your blood it will be impossible to not find that alternative adrenaline rush.

Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote