Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #1621

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
The diagrams Paul posted are not quite right...the first one is to turn the AE's off when headlights are on and the second was for a more specific application.
This is the flash to pass relay diagram if you have original halogen high bulbs:

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, sorry!

2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport insert & transmission mounts, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #1622
Patriot

Garage
No worries, Paul!

The second one would work, but I think Tony has the single throw relay. I’m not 100% sure either, I guess.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #1623

Garage
Quote:
IIRC, the LED AE ring is epoxied in, as well. It shouldn't be too hard to dig (dremel?) it out, though.

The AE on mine wasn't epoxied in. It was held in by the black retainer ring, which was epoxied to the lens that was epoxied to the aluminum base. The black ring and the lens were no longer epoxied so everything came out with no issues. We'll have to wait an see if the other one is like that too.

Quote:
Also, to remove the nut, try some heat. Get a small butane torch and heat the post so you don't damage the reflector bowl. Careful, now...

I used wd40 and a heat gun, I got it to the point where the WD40 was smoking, and still no go. What I'm going to do is unscrew the assembly (with the lens, AE, and the high beam iris) off the post and leave the post in there.

Tony
Old 11-16-2020, 04:34 PM   #1624

Recently inherited a water-damaged 986 and brought her back to life. Now getting the mod itch and just stumbled across this. A shame Im so late to such an awesome upgrade. If they ever come back in stock, add me to the list (or if any other members have a set theyre selling, let me know).
preppyr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #1625

Hey folks -- any thoughts about bolting the ballasts to the back of the light housing and having it live in the fender well?
beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:12 PM   #1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by beater986 View Post
Hey folks -- any thoughts about bolting the ballasts to the back of the light housing and having it live in the fender well?
That's the general consensus, it's in the pdf instructions and other posts within this thread. I's also what the factory did on the Litronic headlights.
2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport insert & transmission mounts, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
Old 11-17-2020, 05:25 AM   #1627

Garage
I have a pair Particleweave converted for me. Some scratches on lens. I only track the car now so I want to sell.
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #1628

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppyr6 View Post
Recently inherited a water-damaged 986 and brought her back to life. Now getting the mod itch and just stumbled across this. A shame Im so late to such an awesome upgrade. If they ever come back in stock, add me to the list (or if any other members have a set theyre selling, let me know).
If you're up for it you can also follow the basic instructions in this thread and make a similar pair of headlights using Bi-Xenon projectors like the Morimoto Mini. This is a pair I made last winter and then late this summer I finally got around to wet sanding, polishing and clear coating the outer lenses. I acquired a set of junk Litronics and some badly burned amber halogen lights. I used the Litronic reflector bowls and inner shrouds with the halogen housings. If you just use the halogen lights, you can get shrouds for the projectors similar to those Porsche uses on its current models.
Attached Images

Last edited by PaulE; 11-17-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:18 PM   #1629

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
That's the general consensus, it's in the pdf instructions and other posts within this thread. I's also what the factory did on the Litronic headlights.
Has anyone designed a mount for this yet?
beater986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:27 AM   #1630
Patriot

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beater986 View Post
Has anyone designed a mount for this yet?
No need. The ballasts always have at least one bolt hole for mounting. The headlight rear covers also have some unused bolt holes that just need to be drilled out. Itís all fairly self explanatory once you see it
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:08 PM   #1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
If you're up for it you can also follow the basic instructions in this thread and make a similar pair of headlights using Bi-Xenon projectors like the Morimoto Mini. This is a pair I made last winter and then late this summer I finally got around to wet sanding, polishing and clear coating the outer lenses. I acquired a set of junk Litronics and some badly burned amber halogen lights. I used the Litronic reflector bowls and inner shrouds with the halogen housings. If you just use the halogen lights, you can get shrouds for the projectors similar to those Porsche uses on its current models.
That looks great. Im pretty handy so I may look into this further. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2020, 03:23 PM   #1632

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van914 View Post
I have a pair Particleweave converted for me. Some scratches on lens. I only track the car now so I want to sell.
Sent you a note on your profile