Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #41

Well. I'm sold.

Now to see if that Double Din install kit will work with this one easily.

MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #42

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
I do not think I am the one missing the point, it appears you are my friend as the title of the post is "Dual DIN 7" Touch screen radio install" the OP is talking of creating a DIY for the Install of the unit and others are talking about the install and routing of wires.

Appears you were lurking to find out not if but when the China knock off head unit causes a dash electrical fire in his car.

I am sure in some fashion you can place a toaster in that spot and would not need a DIY to do it, my question would be why you would want to?

Again sure you can buy knock-off brake pads, rotors, motor mounts. electrical and other such parts from China off of eBay for a fraction of the cost with inferior ratings but why would you put those in a Porsche?

Just my opinion, it is your ride and do so as makes you happy

I would not put generic stereo in the same row as brake pads, rotors, motor mounts etc
This is just stereo and it's not gonna affect the car or my safety

And since it's got way more features than name brands units most are installing
Why wouldn't I give it a shot???
Especially at this price
I'm running one generic gps/DVD in my suv for last 5years, no fire yet
I'm sure they share most of the parts anyway(like plasma tv did,there was like 4 manufacturers of the screens itself and hundreds of tv brands
The most important is that somebody just went for it and is giving as preview of what it does and how it does

Btw.
Toaster - that was stupid idea
We do have toaster in the trunk anyway
Beer cooler sounds better!!!

Happy speeding
golonaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster6354 View Post
Appears you were lurking to find out not if but when the China knock off head unit causes a dash electrical fire in his car.

I am sure in some fashion you can place a toaster in that spot and would not need a DIY to do it, my question would be why you would want to?
Do you encounter things that causes electrical fires often, mate? I also think that bit with the toaster as sarcasm?
I think Golonaus, like the rest of us here, are just trying to see if it's a good product because we're all contemplating on buying one without spending another $600 for a Kenwood
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #44
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Yeah, I'm sold!
I'd like to see how well the tv tuner works and what kind of antenna it needs. Is it digital ready? I spend a lot of time in KC and it would be awesome to get news broadcasts and such.

Even without the tuner, though, I'm still buying one. The price is amazing for what it can do. I really hope that I wouldn't need to reinstall a 4 channel amp, though. I have my 4 cabin speakers directly wired to my HU right now and they sound great together. Already have an amp for my sub and would really not want to hassle with 2 amps.

Last edited by particlewave; 07-17-2012 at 08:15 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #45

So I'm sold too. Amp crapped out on me a couple of months ago and have been debating what to do. I originally thought about one of these but then changed my mind after reading the poor reviews, i.e. lag etc., but now I see that's not the case. Hats off to Ray for taking the plunge for the rest of us. For the last month, I've been bidding on the Pioneer unit on Ebay, but $400 is my limit and they usually go for more. Went to buy a cheap JVC HU at Frys last week but they were out of stock. Then stumbled on this thread - lucky me.

So my question is, there are several sellers selling this unit. They look identical. The OP's unit is one of the most expensive. If you're going to go cheap, you might as well go cheap. I'm getting this one: GPS Navi with 7" Motorized Car Stereo DVD CD Player PIP Ipod Bluetooth+Camera | eBay. $220 shipped from CA and it includes the camera. Another seller has it for $209 shipped w/o the camera.

I'd be interested in seeing how Ray get's his mounted, and/or will the Ebay kit work this unit?

For all you others taking the plunge - anybody have a Becker BE6600 amp they want to part with?

Last edited by Gforrest2; 07-17-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Gforrest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:08 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
The speaker wires on the yellow plug will not work without the amp installed.

For those without an amp, there is supposedly a Brown connector to connect direct to the speakers, but I could not find that plug on mine to try it.

Also the sound going through the Equalizer can be customized to your taste if you have it (I mean EQ not Taste) may as well use it.

Where might that brown plug be hiding on a factory Amp install, hope they did not have a special wiring harness that omits it.

I also discovered that I apparently have 6 speakers, 2 dash, 2 door and 2 behind the seats. Seems like perhaps the Dash/Door are treated like a single Front and the rear behind the seat is the Rear speaker.

Also since I had the battery disconnected numerous times during the process things started working, like my car key locker flashes the tail lights twice as usual and gives the horn a short toot (Did not toot before)
You will probably find the speakers in the doors are subwoofers, I dont know if this is always the case though. Mine are connected to an alpine amplifier in the front.
Amazed you cant remove the equaliser, will make removing the alternator whine much harder.
The horn toots when you lock the car when the glovebox/armrest storage isn't closed properly.
Nimbus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 AM   #47

Just to be clear, if you do not have an Amp there is supposedly a BROWN connector for the radio that goes directly to the speakers.

I could not find mine, but did not dig too hard to try and find it since the yellow connector goes to the speakers via the Amp anyway.

Do buy from a US reseller so you do not have the hassle to deal with extra shipping cost, 4+ weeks delivery time and import taxes.

Also make sure that it comes with Options that you want. ie Backup Camera (w/Night Vision)
TV antenna, GPS Antenna, GPS Software. Steering wheel controller.

As for the mounting rack I think I will be building one aircraft style with a 1/8" thick aluminum front plate and a tray attached to the back with flush rivets. The radio can then be screwed to the tray from the sides or bottom.

Everything will remove from the front as a single unit.

On top of that I will glue/velcro a plastic surround to match the car interior.

Pictures of course when I get that far but I am short on time to finish it up at the moment.

To attach the stereo wires to the existing connectors, since they are all female blade type I simply soldered and tinned the stereo wires, squeezed them flat with pliers and inserted them into the correct slot. There was no need to get any other connectors.

It worked fabulously as they are snug fit and make a solid connection.

Then I taped around the wires with black electrical tape so that they would not pull out when pushing the harness back.

I do want to try and locate a wire for the reverse signal so that the backup camera comes on automatically, but if it does not its no big deal. I'll just switch to it when I need it. If anyone knows where that wire might be give me a hint.

Also be sure to hook up the P_BRAKE wire on the stereo to ground so that the video can come on when you select it, otherwise it will not. (Safety feature so you can not watch Video while in motion)
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 07-18-2012 at 06:34 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Yeah, I'm sold!
I'd like to see how well the tv tuner works and what kind of antenna it needs. Is it digital ready? I spend a lot of time in KC and it would be awesome to get news broadcasts and such.

Even without the tuner, though, I'm still buying one. The price is amazing for what it can do. I really hope that I wouldn't need to reinstall a 4 channel amp, though. I have my 4 cabin speakers directly wired to my HU right now and they sound great together. Already have an amp for my sub and would really not want to hassle with 2 amps.
Its specs say analog tuner and since the US is all digital now, I don't know if it would work. Maybe there are others that have the digital TV spec for a bit more $$.

Hey at 52 Watts per channel (208 Watts total) right from the stereo I doubt you need an Amp unless you like blasting the neighborhood with the top down.

The Porsche factory Amp only does 62 Watts per channel and produced more than enough sound pressure.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 07-18-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #49
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Ah, I missed that. Not a big deal at all.
Actually, a small 12v digital converter, removed from the plastic housing, is quite small, so I'll probably do something like that eventually, but no rush. I really want the gps function as my phone is small and Google Navigator has been horrid lately.

Thanks for the write up and videos!
Old 07-18-2012, 09:26 AM   #50
SoK

i hate wiring electrical for stereo's, sounds a bit more complicated than I was anticipating. might have to just buy the unit, the install kit and take it somewhere to have them mess with running backup camera wires, speakers, etc.

unless we get a nice, detailed, picture-oriented write up

anyone going to tak the plunge and buy the unit and ebay install kit to see if they work together?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #51
Custom User Title Here

Garage

Last edited by particlewave; 07-18-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #52
Custom User Title Here

Garage
WOW!!!

Just checked the DD install kit link...$165!?!
They must have some good crack there! That is beyond ridiculous for a couple of plastic bits and a cage. They can keep the wiring harnes as mine was already removed for an aftermarket install when I bought the car.

I'll have to do some shopping around because there is no way I would pay nearly that much...not even half that amount for what I need(cage, plastic surrounds). Absolutely outrageous...
Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #53
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Seems like that is the cheapest around. Thieves! Maybe I won't do this install after all.
I mean, I can afford it, but I would feel as though someone were stealing from me.

Going to have to really think this over...Thats almost as much as the darn stereo!
Just as an example; I looked up a DD install kit for my Dodge...$15.95.
Attach the Porsche name to it and you can jack up the price 10x...ridiculous.

Last edited by particlewave; 07-18-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #54

So without the install kit, you won't have that little plastic surrounding around your screen?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #55
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Thats right...I may just make my own. Sheesh!
Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #56

On the videos, it seems like the unit fits in pretty flush, save that opening up top. Are you sure we even need an install kit?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
WOW!!!

Just checked the DD install kit link...$165!?!
They must have some good crack there! That is beyond ridiculous for a couple of plastic bits and a cage. They can keep the wiring harnes as mine was already removed for an aftermarket install when I bought the car.

I'll have to do some shopping around because there is no way I would pay nearly that much...not even half that amount for what I need(cage, plastic surrounds). Absolutely outrageous...
Like I said before, I've done a lot of research on the double din installation, including following the thread where this kit was developed. It was pretty much a one-of that was fabricated by the brother or brother-in-law of a forum member. Other members asked if they could get one and fast forward - the kit was developed. But not before a lot of design work, tooling, trial and error, improvements, etc., So yes, it seems like a lot of money, but I don't see any other kits out there for less. Plus it's a very limited market. But that said, I'm not getting one either. The only part I'd be interested in is the trim piece. The climate control trim piece can be had from Porsche.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #58
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I wonder if they would sell just the trim and cage for any less...?
I may message them and see what they say, but I doubt it.

I'll probably just buy it as is, but I need to get my whining and complaining out of the way first.

I'm also toying with the idea of making my own out of a hard wood, either stained or painted. Not sure yet, but I'd still need some kind of cage, so the kit may be less hassle.

Last edited by particlewave; 07-18-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #59

Considering still saving over $400, I'd prolly still just go with the install kit just for convenience. Meh.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
On the videos, it seems like the unit fits in pretty flush, save that opening up top. Are you sure we even need an install kit?
When I put the plastic bezel on that the unit comes with there is maybe 1/16" on either side which is visually nothing.

However the top and potentially bottom will need something to cover it.

Thats where my 1/8" thick aluminum aircraft style surround will go and any plastic
will mount on that face.

The stereo will sit on an aluminum shelf inside, attached to the front plate.

The front Plate will have some counter sunk depressions for screws and the screws will be hidden by the plastic glued or velcro'd on top.

I departed from the typical Auto tray idea since there does not seem to be any good attach points.

However the upper Din Slot holes are intact and will make a good attach point and at the bottom the face can key in with the existing plastic and metal there without screws.

I thought I read about another install that used a $25 DD install kit for another car type successfully. Need to do some googling.