Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #61
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I read on another forum that this one works, but it doesn't look right to me.

381323-03-1 Pioneer - Car Accessories - Car Entertainment

Last edited by particlewave; 07-18-2012 at 04:33 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #62
SoK

Definitely need to find an install kit, or at least a cage, that doesn't cost $150. All the kits I've used in the past were cheap.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:56 AM   #63

I bought the fitting kit, it was rubbish. In the end I bought the trim off a member called trieullionaire on RennTech.org for $50, I got a cage with the Pioneer stereo which the trim I bought fits exactly. There is a photo of my installation of the first page of this thread.

The wiring kit that came with the fitting kit was also rubbish, in the end I removed it and bought a new ISO plug and rewired and added the extra wires to the car loom which got rid of the adaptors & mass of wiring. If I want to upgrade in future, the car loom is now standard ISO so never need a wiring kit.

If anyone wants the wiring diagram for a 2003 car, just ask. By the way, you can pick up a 12v+ switched feed from the aircon controller.
Nimbus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:54 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConte05 View Post
Considering still saving over $400, I'd prolly still just go with the install kit just for convenience. Meh.
If you have the same size opening or bigger that the $165 kit is made for.

This one is likely different than the Pioneer or Kenwood that the kit is made for.

Give it a try and let us know. I cant find dimensions for that kit's plastic part.

I may get to the aircraft style tray this weekend and see what I can come up with.

If I develop a nice solution I'll post the details here of course.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 07-19-2012 at 05:57 AM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:01 AM   #65
SoK

Have a link to the iso plug that you used? Thx!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK View Post
Have a link to the iso plug that you used? Thx!
Have a look at this item on ebay 110909740111 this is from the UK though

I cant remember which side you need but you get the plug and the socket on this sale.
Nimbus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #67

I'm interested to know how does the audio for the phone sound like for both caller and receiver? Also, when you get done, can you tell us how you connected the wiring (color to color). I hate figuring out where the wiring goes and too lazy to search.

Thanks!
Sanford_yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:33 PM   #68

I used a £35 Connects2 fitting kit in my 986.....

It fits very well, with no issues.

I only made one modification to the intended installtion, by fixing it to the dash plastic in the same way that the expensive kit does.

David
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford_yee View Post
I'm interested to know how does the audio for the phone sound like for both caller and receiver? Also, when you get done, can you tell us how you connected the wiring (color to color). I hate figuring out where the wiring goes and too lazy to search.

Thanks!
The Audio from the Phone, reception wise via the BlueTooth phone connection is crystal clear and as loud as you want since its volume is controlled by the radio volume.

I have yet to try using the built in Mic. I guess I should leave a message on my voice mail to see how clear it is on the receiving end of a call from the car.

The Navigators Voice directions are similarly loud and clear.

Another nice thing is that if you are playing music and also have the navigator going, the Music mutes automatically when the Navigator is talking and giving directions....cool.

I imagine similarly when you receive a phone call while music is playing.

Again you have this picture in picture capability when something else is going at the same time as the navigator, but its really not PIP but Application in Application because you can actually click and control the windowed application.

I'll get some video soon.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 07-20-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford_yee View Post

Thanks!
Audio quality on my kenwwod is good too - I used the dash lockation for the microphone - just mounted the kenwod mike behind the porsche bezel.

The wiring on mine was std ISO, with the exception of the reverse wire (for camera) and handbrake (to prevent viewing of movies while in motion) - of course you can just earth that wire.

Other than that, its phonos for the amp if you have one.

David
Old 07-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
The wiring on mine was std ISO, with the exception of the reverse wire (for camera) and handbrake (to prevent viewing of movies while in motion)
David
What wire did you use for the reverse sensing so that the rear camera comes on automatically?
Old 07-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
What wire did you use for the reverse sensing so that the rear camera comes on automatically?
I fitted rear parking sensors at the same time the bumper was off - a well spent £15 for them - supplied painted a very close colour match too! I just ran a wire from the rear boot - but the reverse signal is available from the ECU under the (UK) passenger seat.

On my kenwood you can set it up to auto switch over to the reverse camera or ignore it.

Also, you can select the camera while traveling forward too should you wish.

See the camera and parking installs below..

David
Old 07-20-2012, 08:47 AM   #73
SoK

soooo it sounds like wiring should be plug and play (for speakers) with this unit, is that right?

I'll mess with the backup camera when the car's apart, doesn't sound too bad to do once we're able to easily ID (hopefully with pics) something to wire it into for reverse.

So at this point, finding a cage for this $200 unit is the hangup..
Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #74

Quote:
Here is the Connects2 cage/facia I used - I expect it will be around in the US too somewhere.

I dont endorse this seller, its only FYI

Facia
Old 07-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #75

Hmmmm, don't really want to mess with the ECU for a reverse signal since a mistake there could be quite expensive.

If that reverse wire on the Radio is simply a ground signal then a simple little microswitch will work for that attached to the shifter mechanics.

I have a short shifter to install anyways so if the microswitch idea is viable then it will be time for the short shifter install as well.

"Change one thing....change everything!" rings true again.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #76

Quote:
soooo it sounds like wiring should be plug and play (for speakers) with this unit, is that right?

I'll mess with the backup camera when the car's apart, doesn't sound too bad to do once we're able to easily ID (hopefully with pics) something to wire it into for reverse.

Yes, Plug and play for the speakers, power, Illumination(headlights on signal)

Power + (Yellow),Ground - (Black) , Illumination (Orange), Switched + (Red)

You cut midway through the middle mounting hole and tray seperator. Don't need to cut the top one.

8.5" (216mm) deep slot for the double DIN radio.

The included plastic faceplate(Not shown) will cover the entire width but the part above needs a cover. More on that to come.

The Yellow connector has the speakers on it if you have a factory Amp, but there is a Brown connector instead (Not in this pic) if you dont have an Amp, with your speaker connections.

Last edited by jb92563; 10-11-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
If that reverse wire on the Radio is simply a ground signal then a simple little microswitch will work for that attached to the shifter mechanics.
The handbrake wire needs grounded to activate (ie, brake on), the reverse wire needs 12V + on it to activate (ie, go into reverse).

David
Old 07-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #78

Here is the face plate I cut out of some 1/8" thick aluminum. The side wings will be bolted to the radio and then the whole thing as a unit fits into the opening.
There is a lip at the bottom that the bottom part keys into and the top will be secured by two screws into the existing two plastic screw holes.

Here it is in the dash before the plastic trim that came with the radio.
A plastic surround will be cut to fit around the radio on top of the aluminum to finish the plastic work.

Here is the radio with the included plastic trim. Still need to select and cut the plastic surround that goes on top of the aluminum. All that shows is a bit at the top and a very little bit at the bottom.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #79
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Nice pic's

I also prepped my dash for a Kenwood I have coming this Friday.
T
Name:  IMG_0279.jpg
Views: 2473
Size:  218.9 KB
Name:  IMG_0280.jpg
Views: 3853
Size:  177.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0282.jpg
Views: 4431
Size:  165.8 KB
Old 07-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
Nice pic's

I also prepped my dash for a Kenwood I have coming this Friday.
T
Nice work.

I didn't know the plastic surround was all one piece like that.

You could literally mount the stereo in its rack and then slip the entire plastic surround back in it looks like.

Makes getting to screws in the back and sides on the stereo much easier.

Also seems like you have different plags in your wiring harness.

Perhaps they do use unique wiring harness for different stereo options from the factory.