Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 05:50 AM   #121

Job Done

Done the job in ten minutes flat....4 by 10m/m holes in my welded oval exhaust system....the sound is now spot on....thanks for the info guys....not sure about the 10 hp gain !!!!!!!!!!!

desmoman888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:24 AM   #122

desmo...

what was the key? i tried several times and failed. i was able to get a screw driver in on one side, but that was it. so just a small tiny hole the size of a screw driver. and as you guessed, no sound difference.

tuanle16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #123
JTP

I'm sure this is a quick, easy, and cheap way to enhance the exhaust note but it just seems like butchery. Like those black market surgeries in storage units...
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16
desmo...

what was the key? i tried several times and failed. i was able to get a screw driver in on one side, but that was it. so just a small tiny hole the size of a screw driver. and as you guessed, no sound difference.

Brand new drill bit 10m/m length 200m/m! no punch, no screwdriver just put the drill bit straight into each side so now have one hole in each pipe at the back and then i drilled again in each pipe just where the pipe splits into two..so have two holes in each pipe one at front and one at the back.....was quick and easy. will try and post a pic.
desmoman888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #125

Just Do It!

After seeing so many positive replies to this mod, I decided to try myself on my 2000. I ended up with two 1/2" holes in each pipe. One hole, not very deep, angled inward, and a second hole, deeper in each pipe, also angled somewhat inward. I think there's room for one more hole, even deeper. But I like it the way it is. Between de-snorkeling, installing a K&N element in the stock box, and the muffler mod, I get pleasing sound all through the RPM range. I'm surprised the pipes don't make any more noise than they do at mid to high RPM. Mostly a real deep tone, just off idle. Very nice!
gr8rcfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #126

You can do it by yourself gr8rcfan. I'm trusting you.
rightnwrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #127

Anyone like to post some Pics? Thanks.
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Anyone like to post some Pics? Thanks.
Finally a day without snow or rain, in fact it was a balmy 54° today. So I was able to shoot these today.
I drilled ¾" holes on each side and it is not excessively loud at all. Just a nice throaty growl to complement the perma-grin.
Attached Images

Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #129

OMG guys this is ghetto

love'em!
AutoAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #130

Nice work guys.

Just did the "ghetto mod" on my boxster. I might need to go much bigger and maybe more holes, mine didn't make any more noise with a 5/8" bit except MAYBE at idle- but that might be in my head..

Ill post back. Love the idea!
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********************************************
OMG guys this is ghetto
Hey Dude, I got a Finnish ghetto blaster now.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #132

Exhaust Mod

Woo-Hoo thanks all, this mod works great!! It took me about 15 minutes to drive to the hardware store and about 2 minutes to drill the holes. My Boxster has a much deeper sound at idle and up to about 3000 rpm. I have a 1999 Boxster with the single outlet all I did is drill slowly and hold the bit so it was firm up against the outlet. Drilled one 1/2 inch hole in each pipe and with the angle I suppose I ended up with a 3/4 inch hole in each. Thanks for saving me the $350.00 I was going to buy a %is&#& after market bypass this does the same thing.
donny4793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #133

Can anyone post pic's with the welded Oval tip exhaust? I have a 2000 986 with the single oval tip and was thinking about doing this mod. Is it any harder without being able to remove the exhaust tip? Should I angle it a little more?
Z32cctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #134

I know this is a dead thread, but there were some questions about making this mod to a S muffler with welded tips and avoiding drill bits from walking due to the drill bit attack angle. Here is what I did. 1) using a long flat screwdriver and hammer, chisel the screwdriver’s tip into the pipe where Crios recommended you make the holes. 2) When the edge of the screwdriver just starts to dig into the pipe, angle the screwdriver so the tip will travel upward making a 1/16th in cut. 3) now put the tip of the screwdriver near the origin of the hole and angle the tip down so you start making a "v" in the pipe as you advance the tip...continue doing steps 2 and 3 making the "v" big enough so you can get a 3/16th inch drill bit on the flat surface that the "v" makes. 4) using a 3/16th inch metal cutting bit, drill a hole through the "v”. 5) continue to increase the hole size by steeping up the size of the bit.
I struggled with a solution for the bit walking for about 2 hours...tried using the wood block method with no luck...came back to read this string about 3 times...then got the balls to start using force. Once I figured it out it took me about 20 min to finish the job.

Good luck.
Seal Gray S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #135

Garage
I know this is an older thread, but I have a question. The original pics supplied by crios on 3/2/2009 show a muffler opened up showing the chambers inside. If a hole is drilled into the exhaust pipies coming out the back into the center chamber, it doesn't look like it would connect to where the exhaust gases would be coming out. The two pipes that come out the back appear to go to the left and right and the exhaust gets to them from the chambers to each side, not in the middle. So unless I'm missing something, drilling the holes as shown would only go into the middle section which has not exhaust gas connections with the other chambers. Is this correct?
Renorush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #136

Garage
This looked like a great MOD, I got my first hole drilled in the right side, then went to drill the hole in the left side, no problem drilling, THEN, oops, my bit came loose and is now inside the muffler, called stuff happens. : -) or should be : -(

Past Toys
---------------------------
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue
1994 Toyota Supra 320HP
1987 Porsche 944S
1983 Porsche 911 Carrera
1980 Porsche 911 SC
1976 Trans Am 455 Cu.In.
1962 Corvette Convertible
1957 Pontiac 2DR HT 421 Cu.In.
fredpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #137
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
OK, after reading all the posts I decided to try the mod out and figured the worst I would be out is a stock muffler that I would have to repair. On the 98's they appear to have a harder curve then the one at the front end of this thread. Realized that I was not going to get a starter bit in make a hole. Used a large regular screw driver and with one hard tap of a rubber mallet I was able to make the starter hole. I ended up going with a 1" bit in the end.

One word...WOW! My 0-60 time on the car is shorter by about a second...the sound is wonderful starting a about 2800 I get this beautiful feedback that sounds like a GT. Top down it is sweet, top up not one bit of an issue. If you are worried, don't be...this is both a cost saving mod and very easy to do.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #138

You lost a second because of a drill bit! Man Porsche engineers are dumb. :dance::dance::dance::dance:

0-60db is probably 1sec quicker but thats about it.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #139
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Your post makes me laugh! This was run with diagnostics on board more then just seat of the pants calculations. Make fun if you will, but simple physics don't lie, when you allow an normally aspirated engine breath easier (to a point) you will see improvement.

The difference between the energy content of the fuel consumed and the useful power extracted from the engine is known as Thermal Efficiency (TE), this is just one factor that aides in the increase of this.

While Porsche develops "performance" factors into their cars, those factors are also dictated by standards of operation as a commercial vehicle that must meet country standards where sold. Performance is not always at the forefront of those factors. The stock muffler and exhaust systems are not designed for maximum performance...if they were, you would see them run on on the track.

What we do to the cars is all about what you are looking for and what you can extract from them to get to that point. This mod is just one of those, you can either think outside the box, stay with stock or buy someones idea...but in the end it is what make you the owner the happiest. For me, I am very happy with the end results.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #140

Why ghetto up your car just spend money on a real exhaust with proven HP gain?

gilmanco is offline   Reply With Quote