Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #21

Hey RK,

A couple comments:

- I'm using a remote oil filter with the Canton Racing racing filter. It is supposed to flow 15 gpm and is full flow.
- If you look at the data I posted a while back comparing the Canton and the 1042 filters, there was not much difference between the 2 for pressure drop. So that was interesting.
- The Accusump (and pressure switch) is located post oil filter so it sees approx. a 10 psi drop compared to the pump pressure pre-filter (sometimes more under load).

- So if you look at the PCA 3rd session, the Min pump pressure was 52 psi. That would mean about 42 psi at the pressure switch, which is not low enough (35 psi) to open the Accusump. That's why it did not open during the entire session. Why? Not sure, but maybe the fresh oil made a difference, and also the increased air pre-load could be a part of it as well, contributing to an increase in oil sump level. If you look at the NASA session 3rd data, the Accusump opened 16 times during those 3 laps...
- No I did not see any evidence of oil depletion that would be shown by a substantial air pressure drop in the Accusump. It did not go below 51 psi, indicating about 2/3 of a quart remaining at worse.
- I think that if you're going to put an Accusump, you need a check valve AND/OR an oil filter that has an anti-drainback valve. With the racing filter, it does not have one, but my system does have a check valve to reduce back flow to the pump.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,H&R Sport Springs,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 80K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 10-28-2018 at 01:08 PM.
AZ986S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #22

ah, sorry - you are already on that and i missed your filter comparison post. my bad. ok, so flow looks like ...

oil pump - avg 64 - remote filter - accusump insertion avg 58 - way down the line to the heads avg 34

so actually not much drop across the filter then. and it is tiny (8 micron) filter w/o bypass so no issues there.

i agree i am seeing little need for the pressure switch. my triumph gt6 race car has an accusump with just manual valve and seems to work fine. also, a caveat to those installing an accusump without a remote filter - with just a sandwich plate to add the accusump, i think it inserts before the filter (pls correct if i am wrong) so average pressures would be in the 60's and not the 50's which might affect choise of pressure switch if going in that direction?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:38 PM   #23

The moroso sandwich puts the accusump after the filter but the canton and others i have seen put it before the filter. I thought after would be better to get any possible benefit from the anti drain feature of the filter, if it had one.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #24

Yes, it looks like the Canton Racing sandwich plate feeds the Accusump (or oil cooler) pre-filter, so the pressures would be higher and you might need a higher setting pressure switch. When I talked to Canton, he mentioned that it would be better to have filtered oil going into the Accusump accumulator. Not to mention what Steved0x said about the benefits of the anti-drainback if you don't use a check valve. The issue I had when deciding to go with a remote filter base was two-fold: not enough room for a 1042 with a sandwich plate (too low), and more ports available to install pressure sensors with remote base (more flexibility). I think TuneRS now has a really nice remote take off plate that is low profile that integrates a backflow preventer.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,H&R Sport Springs,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 80K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 10-28-2018 at 06:59 PM.
AZ986S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #25

This is an interesting discussion. I took my Accusump out a couple years ago. If anyone is interested in a setup, I'll let it go cheap. Just pm me.
JEDD is offline   Reply With Quote