Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 10:54 PM   #41

Wow, great thread as I start to plan for track events this season. My car is primarily a street car running wide street tires. 19” 10.5 wheels. I was considering doing the baffle mod and adding the small spacer setup to my engine. What do you guys think, worthwhile, or just run it? I’m just doing PCA HPDE’s so no where near “racing” just trying to improve my skills and having some fun. Is it worth the 275 bones for the sump upgrade, or put that money someplace else?

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #42

I've finished installing my new Race Capture Track and AnalogX CANbus sensor input module. I have the following sensors installed for data logging:

Input --- Sensor Type --------------- What is measured ----------- Location
---1 --- Relay -------------------- Accusump Activation -------- Accusump press. switch
---2 --- 0-5 VDC pressure sensor -- Accusump Air pressure -------Accusump air side
---3 --- 0-5 VDC pressure sensor -- Oil Pressure ----------------- Pre oil filter
---4 --- 0-5 VDC pressure sensor -- Oil Pressure ----------------- Standard oil pressure switch location (cam cover)

The pre filter oil pressure is basically the pressure at the oil pump with maybe a small pressure drop due to the remote oil filter lines. The other oil pressure sensor will provide the pressure at the standard oil pressure switch location in our Boxsters. I will be able to calculate realtime (25-50 Hz) what the pressure drop is across the filter, the cooler and the engine. I will also be able to calculate the "Lag" that is assumed between the time the Accusump pressure switch detects the drop, opens the solenoid valve to release pressurized oil, and how long it takes for the pressure to rise at the cam cover position. I can tell you from just doing some preliminary (static) testing and observing the values that once the Accusump pressure switch opens the valve, there is almost an immediate rise in the oil pressure at the cam cover. Regardless, I will have the data to quantify this.

This coming weekend I will test with the Accusump pressure switch (current setup). The next event after this one, I will probably want to bypass the pressure switch and keep the Accusump valve open during the entire session to see if there is a benefit or quicker reaction and lower pressure drop than with the pressure switch activation.

I do have an oil temperature gauge but I do not have a sensor for data logging. Since oil temp does not change that quickly, I can estimate from the gauge. My next project!

I'll report what I find.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 01-06-2018 at 05:16 PM.
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:17 PM   #43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
I've finished installing my new Race Capture Track and AnalogX CANbus sensor input module. I have the following sensors installed for data logging:

Input --- Sensor Type --------------- What is measured ----------- Location
---1 --- Relay -------------------- Accusump Activation -------- Accusump press. switch
---2 --- 0-5 VDC pressure sensor -- Accusump Air pressure -------Accusump air side
---3 --- 0-5 VDC pressure sensor -- Oil Pressure ----------------- Pre oil filter
---4 --- 0-5 VDC pressure sensor -- Oil Pressure ----------------- Standard oil pressure switch location (cam cover)

The pre filter oil pressure is basically the pressure at the oil pump with maybe a small pressure drop due to the remote oil filter lines. The other oil pressure sensor will provide the pressure at the standard oil pressure switch location in our Boxsters. I will be able to calculate realtime (25-50 Hz) what the pressure drop is across the filter, the cooler and the engine. I will also be able to calculate the "Lag" that is assumed between the time the Accusump pressure switch detects the drop, opens the solenoid valve to release pressurized oil, and how long it takes for the pressure to rise at the cam cover position. I can tell you from just doing some preliminary (static) testing and observing the values that once the Accusump pressure switch opens the valve, there is almost an immediate rise in the oil pressure at the cam cover. Regardless, I will have the data to quantify this.

This coming weekend I will test with the Accusump pressure switch (current setup). The next event after this one, I will probably want to bypass the pressure switch and keep the Accusump valve open during the entire session to see if there is a benefit or quicker reaction and lower pressure drop than with the pressure switch activation.

I do have an oil temperature gauge but I do not have a sensor for data logging. Since oil temp does not change that quickly, I can estimate from the gauge. My next project!

I'll report what I find.
Any updates on this?
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #44

Hey Robert986, I'm posting some data on this Thread:

Accusump - some data

I've updated my summary with the data from the latest event that includes the effect of adding an Accusump bypass switch to run it open.

2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote