Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2019, 08:05 AM   #1

I "thought" I fixed my AOS - smokey startup issue

I replaced the AOS on my '07 Boxster. I have done this before on my '98, piece of cake! Both times I've ordered what I think was an aftermarket AOS from ebay. So... now I still have the same smokey startup every now and then. Could I have received a bad AOS, or maybe a loose hose, or could something else be causing the smokey startup? Thanks!

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Maybe it is as simple as some oil still in the intake tube?
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:42 AM   #3

I don't think it is residual oil... it's been several weeks now, and I drive it every day. I may recheck my hose connections.. I just cant think of what else it might be... or possibly a bad replacement AOS itself.

'07 Boxster, arctic silver, Tiptronic, 106k miles, no mods
‘13 Boxster S, black on black, PDK, 27k miles, garage queen
‘66 Mooney M20E, hangar queen
texomawaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Bad AOS out of the box is common for these cars. You may have gotten a bad one.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by texomawaves View Post
Both times I've ordered what I think was an aftermarket AOS from ebay.
That says it all...…………...
Old 07-25-2019, 03:29 PM   #6

Cant a flat six blow some smoke on occasion( on start up) just because its a flat 6 and a bit of oil gets passed the rings,..or WAS that only old school 6's.
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Cant a flat six blow some smoke on occasion( on start up) just because its a flat 6 and a bit of oil gets passed the rings,..or WAS that only old school 6's.
The cars occasional smoke fart is not easily mistaken for failing AOS smoke. You'll know it when you see it!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:52 PM   #8

Factory part... don’t cheap out on water pumps or the AOS on the these cars. Just not worth the risk.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:23 PM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

A momentary bit of smoke at startup is normal.

A big 007-style smokescreen cloud of smoke is not normal.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 04:06 AM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

If there's one thing quickly I learned from this forum it's this:

Don't cheap out on any part that connects/bolts to the engine.

Go OEM next time, and get a good night's sleep.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Good day.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:30 PM   #11
Damn Yankee

Garage
Have you tested the AOS by removing the engine oil cap while the car is warmed up and running? If the engine note changes and the engine wants to stall, then the AOS is bad. If not, then you're probably OK.

I used this method to determine that my AOS was shot, and I was able to replace it before it blew completely.

Just sayin;...........

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:58 PM   #12
03S

Let your car idle a bit before you shut it down and no smoke on start up.
03S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 08:21 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
Have you tested the AOS by removing the engine oil cap while the car is warmed up and running? If the engine note changes and the engine wants to stall, then the AOS is bad. If not, then you're probably OK.

I used this method to determine that my AOS was shot, and I was able to replace it before it blew completely.

Just sayin;...........

TO
Team Oxford, this is odd, I’m on my third AOS since acquiring the 01S. The first was installed by the previous owner (Uro brand), second I installed to fix an oil leak (aftermarket, lasted about 1 year), current is a Porsche brand aos (1 year), which threw up a smoke bomb recently. It happened the day after I added a half quart of oil. Could it have been caused by residual oil in the filler tube? I tested it by opening the oil cap and it did sputter when the oil cap was off. Lately, it’s been working fine, no smoke bombs. What is the chances that this Porsche brand AOS is bad again. Seems like I’m going through AOS at an alarming rate. The car is running great though. Let me know if I’m being paranoid.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:57 PM   #14

Get a manometer, an extra oil cap, and a threaded tube connect and tap it into the extra cap. An easy way to test the crankcase vacuum, thus see if your AOS is on its way out, or just bad.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:15 AM   #15

Consider cleaning throttle body and related tubing.

DCM
Luckyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:07 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyman01 View Post
Consider cleaning throttle body and related tubing.

DCM
It's been recently cleaned, but I will check it out again when I get a chance to get in there.

I will get the extra cap and manometer as well.

Thanks.
Steelepuls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelepuls View Post
It's been recently cleaned, but I will check it out again when I get a chance to get in there.

I will get the extra cap and manometer as well.

Thanks.
Mine went out really badly and oil went literally everywhere, there was a small pool of oil in either side of the intake manifold which was hard to clean out fully
gti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #18

subscribed....I have an 01 base high mileage car.......let my brother drive it and he ran her much harder then I do......now she smokes on start up. The odd thing is that it isnt every start up.......but it does seem to be getting more consistent. New parts in the mail.....I went for the more expensive version AOS....fingers crossed.
Box7774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Team Oxford, this is odd, I’m on my third AOS since acquiring the 01S. The first was installed by the previous owner (Uro brand), second I installed to fix an oil leak (aftermarket, lasted about 1 year), current is a Porsche brand aos (1 year), which threw up a smoke bomb recently. It happened the day after I added a half quart of oil. Could it have been caused by residual oil in the filler tube? I tested it by opening the oil cap and it did sputter when the oil cap was off. Lately, it’s been working fine, no smoke bombs. What is the chances that this Porsche brand AOS is bad again. Seems like I’m going through AOS at an alarming rate. The car is running great though. Let me know if I’m being paranoid.
You may have worn cylinders or rings. If you buy a part from a Porsche Dealer it is warranted for 2 years.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
URO is short for U Replace Often. I bought a URO control arm from Pelican parts the bushing fell out of place within miles. Pelican parts refused to do anything about it. That's why I stopped buying from them.