986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   I "thought" I fixed my AOS - smokey startup issue (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/75844-i-thought-i-fixed-my-aos-smokey-startup-issue.html)

texomawaves 07-25-2019 08:05 AM

I "thought" I fixed my AOS - smokey startup issue

I replaced the AOS on my '07 Boxster. I have done this before on my '98, piece of cake! Both times I've ordered what I think was an aftermarket AOS from ebay. So... now I still have the same smokey startup every now and then. Could I have received a bad AOS, or maybe a loose hose, or could something else be causing the smokey startup? Thanks!

tommy583 07-25-2019 08:48 AM

Maybe it is as simple as some oil still in the intake tube?

texomawaves 07-25-2019 10:42 AM

I don't think it is residual oil... it's been several weeks now, and I drive it every day. I may recheck my hose connections.. I just cant think of what else it might be... or possibly a bad replacement AOS itself.

particlewave 07-25-2019 10:45 AM

Bad AOS out of the box is common for these cars. You may have gotten a bad one.

JFP in PA 07-25-2019 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texomawaves (Post 599899)
Both times I've ordered what I think was an aftermarket AOS from ebay.

That says it all...…………...

flmont 07-25-2019 03:29 PM

Cant a flat six blow some smoke on occasion( on start up) just because its a flat 6 and a bit of oil gets passed the rings,..or WAS that only old school 6's. :confused:

dghii 07-25-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flmont (Post 599929)
Cant a flat six blow some smoke on occasion( on start up) just because its a flat 6 and a bit of oil gets passed the rings,..or WAS that only old school 6's. :confused:

The cars occasional smoke fart is not easily mistaken for failing AOS smoke. You'll know it when you see it!

Geof3 07-25-2019 10:52 PM

Factory part... don’t cheap out on water pumps or the AOS on the these cars. Just not worth the risk.

thstone 07-25-2019 11:23 PM

A momentary bit of smoke at startup is normal.

A big 007-style smokescreen cloud of smoke is not normal.

Starter986 07-26-2019 04:06 AM

If there's one thing quickly I learned from this forum it's this:

Don't cheap out on any part that connects/bolts to the engine.

Go OEM next time, and get a good night's sleep.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Good day. ;)

TeamOxford 07-26-2019 05:30 PM

Have you tested the AOS by removing the engine oil cap while the car is warmed up and running? If the engine note changes and the engine wants to stall, then the AOS is bad. If not, then you're probably OK.

I used this method to determine that my AOS was shot, and I was able to replace it before it blew completely.

Just sayin;...........

TO

03S 07-26-2019 05:58 PM

Let your car idle a bit before you shut it down and no smoke on start up.

Steelepuls 07-27-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamOxford (Post 600003)
Have you tested the AOS by removing the engine oil cap while the car is warmed up and running? If the engine note changes and the engine wants to stall, then the AOS is bad. If not, then you're probably OK.

I used this method to determine that my AOS was shot, and I was able to replace it before it blew completely.

Just sayin;...........

TO

Team Oxford, this is odd, I知 on my third AOS since acquiring the 01S. The first was installed by the previous owner (Uro brand), second I installed to fix an oil leak (aftermarket, lasted about 1 year), current is a Porsche brand aos (1 year), which threw up a smoke bomb recently. It happened the day after I added a half quart of oil. Could it have been caused by residual oil in the filler tube? I tested it by opening the oil cap and it did sputter when the oil cap was off. Lately, it痴 been working fine, no smoke bombs. What is the chances that this Porsche brand AOS is bad again. Seems like I知 going through AOS at an alarming rate. The car is running great though. Let me know if I知 being paranoid.

Geof3 07-27-2019 10:57 PM

Get a manometer, an extra oil cap, and a threaded tube connect and tap it into the extra cap. An easy way to test the crankcase vacuum, thus see if your AOS is on its way out, or just bad.

Luckyman01 07-29-2019 11:15 AM

Consider cleaning throttle body and related tubing.

DCM

Steelepuls 07-31-2019 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyman01 (Post 600136)
Consider cleaning throttle body and related tubing.

DCM

It's been recently cleaned, but I will check it out again when I get a chance to get in there.

I will get the extra cap and manometer as well.

Thanks.

gti13 08-07-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelepuls (Post 600215)
It's been recently cleaned, but I will check it out again when I get a chance to get in there.

I will get the extra cap and manometer as well.

Thanks.

Mine went out really badly and oil went literally everywhere, there was a small pool of oil in either side of the intake manifold which was hard to clean out fully

Box7774 08-13-2019 07:06 AM

subscribed....I have an 01 base high mileage car.......let my brother drive it and he ran her much harder then I do......now she smokes on start up. The odd thing is that it isnt every start up.......but it does seem to be getting more consistent. New parts in the mail.....I went for the more expensive version AOS....fingers crossed.

BYprodriver 08-13-2019 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelepuls (Post 600020)
Team Oxford, this is odd, I知 on my third AOS since acquiring the 01S. The first was installed by the previous owner (Uro brand), second I installed to fix an oil leak (aftermarket, lasted about 1 year), current is a Porsche brand aos (1 year), which threw up a smoke bomb recently. It happened the day after I added a half quart of oil. Could it have been caused by residual oil in the filler tube? I tested it by opening the oil cap and it did sputter when the oil cap was off. Lately, it痴 been working fine, no smoke bombs. What is the chances that this Porsche brand AOS is bad again. Seems like I知 going through AOS at an alarming rate. The car is running great though. Let me know if I知 being paranoid.

You may have worn cylinders or rings. If you buy a part from a Porsche Dealer it is warranted for 2 years.

BYprodriver 08-13-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelepuls (Post 600020)

URO is short for U Replace Often. I bought a URO control arm from Pelican parts the bushing fell out of place within miles. Pelican parts refused to do anything about it. That's why I stopped buying from them.