Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 03:05 AM   #1

Oh Oh

Flashing CEL, pulled over, car towed. Initial reports from indy repair "engine seized"! Please say it isn't so. Had oil and IMS replace 10K miles ago...
Anyone looking for a roller if report is accurate???

Old 03-02-2018, 04:06 AM   #2

Ouch! that doesn't sound good. What were the symptoms? Noises, smoke, grinding, fluids pouring out? I imagine if the engine was seized you would have experienced something of significance besides just a flashing cell.
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:20 AM   #3

No symptoms, no noise, no warning. Slowed down to pull into a gas station to fill up, flashing CEL came on, turned the car off but made a mistake and tried to restart and all I got was a click then nothing.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
Flashing CEL, pulled over, car towed. Initial reports from indy repair "engine seized"! Please say it isn't so. Had oil and IMS replace 10K miles ago...
Anyone looking for a roller if report is accurate???
A little out of my neighborhood for a roller.

Man, it sounds GRIM!

Tell us a little about what the situation was before it died, oil level? Before you bail, get an estimate for a replacement engine. I've done one, it is within the capability of a good shade tree mechanic. Motivation is a real consideration. Just finished mine, sort of. I've done Toyota, Ford, & Dodge engines in the past, the Porsche was a whole 'nuther country. Most difficult I've done to date, not impossible, but a lot of little puzzles.

Ah feel yer pain!
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:53 AM   #5

Brian: all fluid levels were fine. Car ran started fine, no issues. Nothing out of the ordinary that would have caused me any alarm. I was able to source a 2.5L w/84K for $2,900. Not sure if remove/replace is in my skill set. I've pulled the engine on my 66 912 several times, but the 986 just looks scary. With help, I could do it. My only other concern would be getting the electronics to talk to the engine. My knowledge of DC voltage stops at the on/off switch.
Old 03-02-2018, 05:54 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Sorry to hear this. How many miles?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 06:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Brian: all fluid levels were fine. Car ran started fine, no issues. Nothing out of the ordinary that would have caused me any alarm. I was able to source a 2.5L w/84K for $2,900. Not sure if remove/replace is in my skill set. I've pulled the engine on my 66 912 several times, but the 986 just looks scary. With help, I could do it. My only other concern would be getting the electronics to talk to the engine. My knowledge of DC voltage stops at the on/off switch.
It sounds like it's in your skill set. I put an engine with 02, manual transmission wiring and vacuum lines in my 01 with tiptronic. Required removing the wiring from the old engine and putting it on the replacement--no fancy electronic knowledge needed, and vacuum isn't that different. I'm retired and I took my time, taking notes as you work is imperative because it pretty much must be reinstalled in the same order you took it our. Everything can be done by a 66 year old man with arthritic shoulders and neck.

My replacement engine is a used factory re-manufactured engine with an updated IMS bearing--shipped from LA to Tucson, it was about $2500 total.

I used an air jack, taller jackstands, and a cherry picker to lower the engine and trannie to an enlarged furniture dolly. I have a Hitachi 18v cordless impact that helped a lot and a set of ratcheting box end wrenches. I also have an air impact. The common socket sizes are 10, 13, & 15 mm, and whatever the axle nuts & pulley nuts are.

My "while I have it out" list include motor mount, new tubes & spark plugs, rear main seal, front main seal, water pump, underdrive pulley, & new belt. Spin on oil filter & magnetic plug. You might also consider a replacement IMS bearing which can be done from the rear outside of the engine. And I cleaned, greased, and installed new cv boots.

I am enjoying the sense of accomplishment and the pride of "I made this" ownership.

Everything you might need to know is available by search. LMK, I'd be willing to mentor if you like.:dance:
Old 03-02-2018, 06:37 AM   #8

You've inspired me. I am 62, not retired (I do not have permission from my wife yet). I have all the requisite tools, less taller jack stands but I can make something tall and stable enough. My current motor has 171+k miles on it, so it probably is tired. I don't want to let go of this car, so I might give it a whirl. There is more than likely enough folks here that can bail me out via this forum if I find my self in trouble. I became one with my 912 the first time I did a complete rebuild on its motor, so why not have the same experience with this one. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going for it. BTW where did you source your engine from?

Last edited by flouese; 03-02-2018 at 06:38 AM. Reason: To correct typo
flouese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #9

Before tracking down a replacement engine, are you sure your current motor is really toast? There have been plenty of instances where the mechanic said to replace when all that was needed was an AOS. Think I'd be absolutely, positively sure before dropping a bunch of money on something you might not need.

2nd, if you do need to replace the motor, the Bentley manual has plenty of info on how to remove / replace an engine.

3rd, is there a back story to your current engine? Were there issues when you replaced your IMS, like possible metal shavings floating around? I don't have the best memory anymore, but seem to recall something like this with a member a few yrs back. Would be good info for the community.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #10

Quote:
You've inspired me. I am 62, not retired (I do not have permission from my wife yet). I have all the requisite tools, less taller jack stands but I can make something tall and stable enough. My current motor has 171+k miles on it, so it probably is tired. I don't want to let go of this car, so I might give it a whirl. There is more than likely enough folks here that can bail me out via this forum if I find my self in trouble. I became one with my 912 the first time I did a complete rebuild on its motor, so why not have the same experience with this one. Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going for it. BTW where did you source your engine from?
Good! I did mine completely by myself, btw, no one helped me.

Here's the source of my engine. My experience with him (so far) is that he's pretty much on the up & up. I got a used top (w/ frame) from him, too. I picked mine up at the Fedex LTL dock so it was pretty reasonable shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Boxster-986-1997-99-2-5L-Complete-Engine-Motor-70k-Leakdown-Tested-4-6/152824845989?fits=Make%3APorsche&hash=item23951216a5:g:7~cAAOSw7z1aL0H-

BTW, the air jack & the tall jackstands (6 ton) are available at Harbor Freight and are definitely worth having.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 03-02-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Before tracking down a replacement engine, are you sure your current motor is really toast? There have been plenty of instances where the mechanic said to replace when all that was needed was an AOS. Think I'd be absolutely, positively sure before dropping a bunch of money on something you might not need.

2nd, if you do need to replace the motor, the Bentley manual has plenty of info on how to remove / replace an engine.

3rd, is there a back story to your current engine? Were there issues when you replaced your IMS, like possible metal shavings floating around? I don't have the best memory anymore, but seem to recall something like this with a member a few yrs back. Would be good info for the community.
Good sentiment. But his engine does have 171k miles or so--which is like 500,000 in Toyota miles. Or 250,000 in 96 Dodge Dakota miles. Probably past it's pull date.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
My current motor has 171+k miles on it...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:03 AM   #13

I'd pull the plugs out and try to turn it over before planning the burial.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Good sentiment. But his engine does have 171k miles or so--which is like 500,000 in Toyota miles. Or 250,000 in 96 Dodge Dakota miles. Probably past it's pull date.
Guess I missed that leading 1.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #15

Garage
911, 911, 911,911 motor
How inspired can you get?

You did pretty well at 170k+ miles. And it may not be a toasted motor but something that could be fixed
But spending $$$ on a 18-19 year old 170k+ mile motor doesn't make much sense either

So it just hit me , you replaced the IMSB at 161k miles. How much did that cost?
At what point mileage wise(110k, 120k) is it just not worth replacing the bearing. I would think at 161k it's not worth disturbing it especially since it is a dual row bearing
If it was my car I would want to know it wasn't the replacement IMSB after 10k miles

Last edited by kk2002s; 03-02-2018 at 12:33 PM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:15 AM   #16
MWS

Given the circumstances and recent IMS replacement (and cost to do so), this is possibly the worst failure story I have read; I am very sorry for your loss. Given that, please verify failure, and if is really dead, please do (or have done) a through autopsy. The cause of this failure would be of great interest to everyone in this community...not to sound grim or glib, but your loss could save another.

Best wishes and hoping for the best outcome.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post

Regarding the IMS replacement, I had it done at 163K miles while the clutch was being replaced. Did not have a thorough history of the car so I took the safe route.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Good! I did mine completely by myself, btw, no one helped me.

Here's the source of my engine. My experience with him (so far) is that he's pretty much on the up & up. I got a used top (w/ frame) from him, too. I picked mine up at the Fedex LTL dock so it was pretty reasonable shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Boxster-986-1997-99-2-5L-Complete-Engine-Motor-70k-Leakdown-Tested-4-6/152824845989?fits=Make%3APorsche&hash=item23951216a5:g:7~cAAOSw7z1aL0H-

BTW, the air jack & the tall jackstands (6 ton) are available at Harbor Freight and are definitely worth having.
This is the exact engine I am currently looking at if in fact my motor is toast. The only issue with this one is it still has the original IMS. If I do get this engine, I will replace the IMS.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:03 PM   #19

Hard to believe an engine would completely seize dead with no warning of any kind. I'm with the others, pull plugs, check AOS. There was a woman on this or another forum had similar issues. AOS died, dumped oil and all she needed was to clean out the offending cylinder, put the plugs back in, start it up and burn off the residue. Good to go.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:22 AM   #20

I'm with Husker and Geof3, check the AOS and see if it dumped oil down the intake. It's free to check