Thread: Oh Oh
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 06:22 AM   #7
Brian in Tucson

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouese View Post
Brian: all fluid levels were fine. Car ran started fine, no issues. Nothing out of the ordinary that would have caused me any alarm. I was able to source a 2.5L w/84K for $2,900. Not sure if remove/replace is in my skill set. I've pulled the engine on my 66 912 several times, but the 986 just looks scary. With help, I could do it. My only other concern would be getting the electronics to talk to the engine. My knowledge of DC voltage stops at the on/off switch.
It sounds like it's in your skill set. I put an engine with 02, manual transmission wiring and vacuum lines in my 01 with tiptronic. Required removing the wiring from the old engine and putting it on the replacement--no fancy electronic knowledge needed, and vacuum isn't that different. I'm retired and I took my time, taking notes as you work is imperative because it pretty much must be reinstalled in the same order you took it our. Everything can be done by a 66 year old man with arthritic shoulders and neck.

My replacement engine is a used factory re-manufactured engine with an updated IMS bearing--shipped from LA to Tucson, it was about $2500 total.

I used an air jack, taller jackstands, and a cherry picker to lower the engine and trannie to an enlarged furniture dolly. I have a Hitachi 18v cordless impact that helped a lot and a set of ratcheting box end wrenches. I also have an air impact. The common socket sizes are 10, 13, & 15 mm, and whatever the axle nuts & pulley nuts are.

My "while I have it out" list include motor mount, new tubes & spark plugs, rear main seal, front main seal, water pump, underdrive pulley, & new belt. Spin on oil filter & magnetic plug. You might also consider a replacement IMS bearing which can be done from the rear outside of the engine. And I cleaned, greased, and installed new cv boots.

I am enjoying the sense of accomplishment and the pride of "I made this" ownership.

Everything you might need to know is available by search. LMK, I'd be willing to mentor if you like.:dance:
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote