Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #1

Garage
Twin Charged V6 Swap Build Page

If you are easily offended by things like Engine Swaps, High Performance modifications to a Porsche, you might want to avoid this page at all costs.
I know asking for a little respect is a lot these days, But please if this is not your cup of tea, don't complain. Thanks!

Hello All! I wanted to share my build page. Even tho a website like this would be ideal for followers, I decided to go the Facebook Page direction to keep things organized. The page also allows me to organize notes and items for sale. I will post up random updates in various locations but the main page that will show everything will be the Facebook page

The Link can be found @ https://www.facebook.com/SWBoxster

Subjects I'll be tackling will including everything from the Audi V6 Swap, engine tear down and build. Exhaust/Twin Turbo Fabrication and location, Audi Roots Supercharger install, Tuning, Dyno'ing, Even the body mods to a potential Custom 1 Off Hard Top.

I hope to get a good following, I'll also respond to all questions on the FB Page, If you wanna chat I'm free for that too. I always love a good chat. We have 2 V6 Swapped Cars going on right now in the Garage. But this page will only cover the Porsche 986.

The Link again is https://www.facebook.com/SWBoxster or you can search FaceBook for @SWBoxster.

Thanks a lot guys! :dance::dance:

Old 02-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

An advertisement for a Facebook page?

I have really enjoyed the V8 swap thread so I was hoping to see this build thread here on the 986Forum.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:47 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
An advertisement for a Facebook page?

I have really enjoyed the V8 swap thread so I was hoping to see this build thread here on the 986Forum.
For my FB Page. Not just any page. This build is going to be wild. But forums are dead, the FB page allows me to do more than a forum will permit.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:24 AM   #4

Advertising for fb followers on a 'dead forum.' Priceless!

Good luck with your build!
Old 02-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1 and then some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Advertising for fb followers on a 'dead forum.' Priceless!

Good luck with your build!
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
For my FB Page. Not just any page. This build is going to be wild. But forums are dead, the FB page allows me to do more than a forum will permit.
Forums are dead?? -NOT-

Nothing against you but I despise FB and all other ‘social media’ so I will not be following your build there.

Having said that, best of luck to you for a successful build!
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Nothing wrong with a little self advertisment. Good luck with your projects. Forums are dead? Maybe... and I thought Facebook is dead. The target group (15-30 years) has left or don't even join anymore. I can't follow, not on Facebook and no plans on joining.
I thought it is only parents on Facebook now, not realizing that their kids have left already
Old 03-02-2018, 10:28 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Compared to the Facebook Boxster pages that I post on, this forum is very slow and dead. I don't do the classic Facebook thing (I have zero "friends" and zero pictures of myself), but it's great for this type of stuff.
It will support photos and videos, there are far more Boxster owners than there are here and, most importantly, you can actually post links to other parts sites when you find a good deal or someone wants to know where you got something (Pelican will block links to other vendors on this forum).

Yeah, I still post a bit here, but I post 10 times more on the Boxster fb pages.
That said, traditional use of Facebook is...odd.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:54 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Compared to the Facebook Boxster pages that I post on, this forum is very slow and dead. I don't do the classic Facebook thing (I have zero "friends" and zero pictures of myself), but it's great for this type of stuff.
It will support photos and videos, there are far more Boxster owners than there are here and, most importantly, you can actually post links to other parts sites when you find a good deal or someone wants to know where you got something (Pelican will block links to other vendors on this forum).

Yeah, I still post a bit here, but I post 10 times more on the Boxster fb pages.
That said, traditional use of Facebook is...odd.
How about a few links...
Old 03-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #10

Garage
Listen I don't mean to offend anyone, but as ParticleWave said.... I mean it really is a really nice platform for a lot of things. I don't mean any disrespect. I can keep things organized. I can post video's and pictures directly. Live video footage of Dyno's and racing events where the car is involved in. I can discuss the build with people directly or in individual posts.

And I'll still document certain events in different avenues.... I'll post some stuff on YouTube and on here as well as other Boxster and Audi specific pages. But everything, will be on the main FB Page. Photos, notes I'm saving, videos... everything.

So if you don't want to follow, I'm not offended. I hope others will follow. But if not, I'm sure one day you'll see something of the car pop up on the web. At least I hope.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #11

Garage
Everyday that parts arrive, is a good day! However they weren't here for us! I did get a few things tho.

After some discussion with a few friends I decided to go with a much smaller box steel. Originally I accidentally purchased the wrong stuff anyway. I picked up 2x3x0.250" when I was supposed to get 2x3x0.120". So I went by Choice Steel and I decided to go with 2x2x0.120". This will be what I use to make the engine cradle and stiffen the chassis immensely.

Now that leaves me with 20' of 2x3x0.250"! Oh my what a waste of $150. Well I've been wanting to build something for the Porsche which IS an eventual stage of this very build! A Lowered Race Pack/Trailer. I've been highly interested in attending events such as Race Week where you drive the car you race to numerous race tracks throughout a week. So I wanted to make a trailer that will look cool, be aerodynamic (a trailer? lol) and contain items like Tool Boxes, Jacks, Spare Transmission, Drag Wheels/Tires etc... So I thought up an idea and I'm going to try to design it in Fusion to get a better idea. We're looking at a 6.5-7'x 5' Trailer that will be on air ride, and nice wheels and tires.

Got all the measurements ready for the trailer, so that can be put to the side. Next its time to remove the heads. This is a Running, low compression engine, So beware. There is a lil surface rust throughout the engine but thats to be expected from an engine that has been exposed to the elements for an unknown period of time after being pulled. Its typical. I will be re honing, resurfacing the deck and the engine will be dipped in acid for a lil bath.

Tomorrow, lets hope I can pickup the saw so I can start making my cradle!

Thanks for tuning in!

Again if you're interested in following the build on Facebook, Please follow www.Facebook.com/SWBoxster or @SWBoxster on Facebook Mobile.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:05 AM   #12
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Hey Josh,

what kind of front spoiler (splitter?) is that?
Old 04-07-2018, 06:29 AM   #13

Garage
check out Boxster Outlaws on FB. Those guys are crazier than you! Nice to see gearheads still exist in the world. Good luck with the build!!
Old 04-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #14
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
check out Boxster Outlaws on FB. Those guys are crazier than you! Nice to see gearheads still exist in the world. Good luck with the build!!
nothing beats =Speed Shop Kenya=
Old 04-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Hey Josh,

what kind of front spoiler (splitter?) is that?
It is the TechArt front Lip for the 986.2 Front Bumper and an Ebay/HomeDepot Lip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesz View Post
I actually just left that group, because its quite the opposite. There are a couple nice builds, but not many "Outlaws". I may join again later on, I just don't need the distraction of a bunch of people insulting someone's car because they put Vinyl Porsche Stripes up the middle or something lame like that.

I do want attention on the build, but only people who will appreciate it, Not put it down because they don't agree.

Anyway thank you for that. I've always been a gearhead, prob why I'm soo not apposed to doing such a wild modification to a Porsche. I've had 600hp AWD Jeeps (Before SRT's), 800hp AWD 4Cyl cars. Hondas, Offroad Crawlers, Built Engines, Turbochargers and not a grease stained pair of clothes in sight! Cars are Life! And while the M96 and myself don't see eye to eye, I love the Porsche and want it to follow in the long line of fast/sexy cars I've owned.

Time for bed, We scouted U Pull It today and found an engine and harness for our V6 Swapped S2000 and I happened to come across an ECU and Spare Harness.... Well who am I kidding, I found 3 ECU's and Harnesses on top of 2 complete engines, a 3rd engine being a S4 4.2L V8! Oh man would that be fun to swap. In a week it will be half off, 200 dollar Engine! I'll actually be pulling the 2 2.7's they have just received, for spares!

This is why I love doing an engine swap, it opens up soo many options! Where can you find 200 dollar M96's that run!?
Old 04-10-2018, 06:25 PM   #16

Garage
Only thing I could think of when looking at these pictures...

Cleaning day! I have lots of parts on order and I'm about to disassemble the block to drop it off at the machine shop. Going to have the decks resurfaced, then we're going to bring it by my shop and throw it in the oven and bake on a high gloss Red Ceramic coating.

In a couple days our local U Pull and Pay have a half off day, and 2 complete S4's showed up, I pulled harness and ecu from one a few days ago but my plan is to take a few hundred bucks, pickup 2 sets of 2.8 Heads, and 2 spare blocks! I still haven't found my transmission yet but I'm hopeful. There is an A4 there right now in the premium lot but no information on if its AWD or FWD. But it will be nice to pay 500 bucks for 2 complete 2.7's with 2.8 Heads!
Attached Images

Last edited by DarkStar; 05-18-2018 at 09:26 PM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post

If you are easily offended by things like Engine Swaps, High Performance modifications to a Porsche, you might want to avoid this page at all costs.
I know asking for a little respect is a lot these days, But please if this is not your cup of tea, don't complain. Thanks!

Hello All! I wanted to share my build page. Even tho a website like this would be ideal for followers, I decided to go the Facebook Page direction to keep things organized. The page also allows me to organize notes and items for sale. I will post up random updates in various locations but the main page that will show everything will be the Facebook page

The Link can be found @ https://www.facebook.com/SWBoxster

Subjects I'll be tackling will including everything from the Audi V6 Swap, engine tear down and build. Exhaust/Twin Turbo Fabrication and location, Audi Roots Supercharger install, Tuning, Dyno'ing, Even the body mods to a potential Custom 1 Off Hard Top.

I hope to get a good following, I'll also respond to all questions on the FB Page, If you wanna chat I'm free for that too. I always love a good chat. We have 2 V6 Swapped Cars going on right now in the Garage. But this page will only cover the Porsche 986.

The Link again is https://www.facebook.com/SWBoxster or you can search FaceBook for @SWBoxster.

Thanks a lot guys! :dance::dance:

Techart front lip?
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliguy View Post
Techart front lip?
And Ebay/HomeDepot rubber lip under that, yes sir.

Just realized my photos are really large. Sorry guys, Will resize in a few minutes!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #19

Garage
Well guys, unfortunately there isn't too much to throw up. If you haven't been following the FB Build Page, You can hear crickets chirping. It hasn't been completely uneventful tho. I did start prototype designing stages in a 3D Environment as well as a few test cuts/welds. I am getting closer to a final design. In the mean time, I am working out a deal on a new shop with a partner of mine, and all new equipment. Should be happening very soon, so the final design will be done in a new, virgin clean shop! Anyway. Lets see what I got to share!

The current design is as follows. Tubular side arms and rear tie brace. The flat plates are made to pinch in between the Aluminum Tie Straps on the control Arms. They are currently made out of 3/16" Cold.

Plates were cut, As well as the front mount bar.

Pipes aren't done being bent yet. I had to send them off to a friends shop because my largest die is not large enough. So once I get them in. I'll fit them up, hopefully all goes well and I will be welding it up. Then I'll be able to toss the engine up in there so I can make the engine mount brackets next.

In other news, I wanted to get a little creative so I am designing a replacement crankcase ventilation plate. Here's what the original looks like, its very prone to clogging up.

Anyway, the idea is to make a completely new top cover to take advantage of the factory Porsche Boxster Oil Fill Tube! There is soo much spare room under the intake manifold. I'm not too deep in progression with that. I will be adding an -12 or -10an bung for the center crankcase vent which will meet up with the valve cover vents and be routed to a Perrin AOS. But as you can see, it will allow me to connect a tube to the Boxsters factory oil fill and then I will replace the oil fill valve cover with the one without the fill tube.

As for the engine, it is still stripped. All parts have been properly cleaned, lubed and covered while we wait for that thing called a job to start producing more money for me to funnel into this project! If I can acquire this deal for the new shop, I should get a nice increase in wages so plus plus! Thanks for reading up. I know its not much but I'm getting bored :'(
Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #20

Garage
I have almost completely started from scratch. I was not liking the "Cheap" like method of building the engine cradle. At first it seemed ok, but things just bugged me about the way it looked.

So I been hard at work designing an almost completely 3D Designed Engine Swap Cradle. Its still in its early stages, but if things go right, I'll be able to manufacture with a pretty decent turn around time.

The inside is the same thickness as the stock Porsche mount so the original Studs or new ones can be used. Also fitted with Anti Crush Tubes inside.

And for some better, more uplifting news!

I'm taking in some measurements. This is only a test fit, Just so I don't run into anything. The engine and Transmission have to be lowered about 1-1.5" to fit properly, but going too low has axle rub issues as well as potential dangerous axle angle. Last thing I want is continuous axle failure with the added power. Right now in the photo the Transmission is just sitting on the 2 Suspension K Members which is about 1.5" drop. And eye balling it, its pretty level. My garage and the car for sure isn't level right now so I can't judge too much until I grab a digital level. BUT for now, It looks pretty dead in there.

I'm a lil undecided on what to do about engine mounts. I was thinking of fabbing it up so that it will accept OEM Audi mounts, that was the original idea. Or I could just make a whole new unit, engine block and cradle side separated by a nice urethane bushing.

We'll see how it goes!