Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
Porschephile

Hardtop shoulder bolts

Need to vent. What a pain in the a** these f**king shoulder bolts are to install. I feel better now. Discuss...

Old 05-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #2

Garage
I'm going to be installing the spin locks/shoulder bolts today. Why must you scare me....
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:02 AM   #3

Too funny! did mine this spring said the same thing, just didn't post it!
since95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:21 AM   #4

Which are the shoulder bolts? The ones that hold the seat belt over the shoulder? I never have a problem with them, but am always afraid the thin hinge on the plastic cover over it is going to break. Soon I will be installing my BK roll bar extension, and I will take it off again in the fall. One time I expect one of those plastic hinges to wear out and break, and I will be paying the Porsche tax to replace them!

That little bolt you partially undo to remove the side cover to install the spin locks is my PITA. One time I dropped something down in there and needed to take that cover off, and completely undid that bolt.

Oh, the shoulder bolt is the one that goes through the side of the spin lock. I used a thin plastic bag with the tip of the bolt pierced through the bottom corner of the bag and the allen wrench socket pushed into the bolt like I read in a post somewhere. Once the bolt is started and threaded in a bit, just rip the bag off the shoulder bolt and tighten it down.

Last edited by PaulE; 05-30-2018 at 09:24 AM.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Porschephile

First bolt took over an hour. Second bolt took 5 minutes. I sometimes miss the ease it was wrenching on a Miata.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #6
Porschephile

It’s just getting to the bolt. Not screwing it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Which are the shoulder bolts? The ones that hold the seat belt over the shoulder? I never have a problem with them, but am always afraid the thin hinge on the plastic cover over it is going to break. Soon I will be installing my BK roll bar extension, and I will take it off again in the fall. One time I expect one of those plastic hinges to wear out and break, and I will be paying the Porsche tax to replace them!

That little bolt you partially undo to remove the side cover to install the spin locks is my PITA. One time I dropped something down in there and needed to take that cover off, and completely undid that bolt.

Oh, the shoulder bolt is the one that goes through the side of the spin lock. I used a thin plastic bag with the tip of the bolt pierced through the bottom corner of the bag and the allen wrench socket pushed into the bolt like I read in a post somewhere. Once the bolt is started and threaded in a bit, just rip the bag off the shoulder bolt and tighten it down.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #7

When I did mine I had two big recaro seats floor mounted and all the way back, no sliders, and had to it all twisted around those seats. No fun. I think next time (which there will never be ) I would remove the seats first... The 2nd one did go a little faster.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
At least you didn't cross thread one, then have to use a bolt extractor to remove it. What a PITA, four hours later the second one was installed in about a minute.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomikaze View Post
It’s just getting to the bolt. Not screwing it in.
Got it. Lucky for me, my brain tends to erase memories of painful events!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:59 AM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I watched a 3 minute youtube video. The entire process was a breeze. I admit, I purchased the locks and bolts from a company that made the hex in the bolt just snug so the Allen wrench would stick in it without falling out.

Having been upon the forums and reading about the bolt being a ********************... I vetted a few manufacturers... read reviews... and dropped the $88 on the outfit that assured the Allen wrench wouldn't fall out.

The most "challenging" part was removing the side carpet. After that it was a breeze.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #11
Artist, 986S tinkerer

If the bolts aren't seized, installation and removal shouldn't be a challenge. Use the plastic bag trick for installation.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #12

I bought my spinlocks from a local fellow who volunteered to install mine if I brought the car to a well lighted place. Used the baggie method and was done in 15 minutes. Irony is I never bought the hardtop.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #13
Porschephile

Ooooo... I would have given up if this happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000 View Post
At least you didn't cross thread one, then have to use a bolt extractor to remove it. What a PITA, four hours later the second one was installed in about a minute.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:40 PM   #14
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I thought it was just a tight fit and if I just cranked it in a little more it would go in, do not ever do this, it never leads to anything good. The bolt should go in smoothly.

+1 for the baggie trick.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:16 AM   #15

i put my spinlocks in about a week ago, they are NEVER coming out. If/when i sell the car the new owner will be blessed with the spinlocks included at no charge! i used a long T handle allen wrench and did not move the carpet or remove the trim, it worked but i may have messed up the bolts by forcing them in. totally my fault but as i said they are now in and are NOT coming back out...ever
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:35 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomikaze View Post
First bolt took over an hour. Second bolt took 5 minutes. I sometimes miss the ease it was wrenching on a Miata.
I feel you. Every time I need to get at the engine I think of popping the hood and everything being right there.
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:53 PM   #17
Damn Yankee

Garage
Definitely the most nerve wracking job I ever performed on my Boxster, even with the plastic bag hack.

When I sold her, I took a bunch of added stuff off the car, but NOT those shoulder bolts. Fortunately, the new owner also bought the factory hardtop a week later.

Just sayin'.............

TO

TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote