Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #1
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,604
Maintenance logistics inquiries

1998 Boxster 2.5

118,000

Second owner

Purchased 8.17. Service history unknown. Car looks, operates, runs, and drives like a 9. No noises, creaks, groans, oil consumption, overheating... zero.

In an effort to establish a new "starting point", engine maintenance-wise, I'm preparing to do some preventative maintenance within the next month or so and am reaching out for some insight and direction. In no particular order, yet, I will:

Replace AOS
Replace water pump
Replace spark plugs and tubes
Replace thermostat (low temp)
Replace engine mount
Install under drive pulley

I've read enough on these boards, and viewed enough videos, to be comfortable with these maintenance tasks. Thus, alone I'm confident in pulling it off. Hopefully the same day or over a couple of days. That said...

Is there any particular order in which I should undertake this project? What should I start with... and with what should I end?

Are there any maintenance projects I'm missing to which I should attend "... while I'm in there"? I may have to order more parts.

Aside from the requisite gaskets and seals, is there anything else I should purchase, and associated with those projects, for ..." while I'm in there"? For instance... replace hoses and lines... connections... etc. I may need to order more parts.

Any fluids and filters I should consider while I'm in there? In which order?

Likely I'll be doing this alone, unless otherwise advised.

Any assistance and/or opinion is appreciated. I will be taking notes. Thank you.

__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
Registered User
 
kk2002s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S. New Jersey
Posts: 1,218
Garage
When you do the WP/Thermo, do the Oil Cooler 'O' rings while the coolant is out.
The Expansion tank on these will go. So if yours is real yellow, then it a matter of time
Make sure your Coolant Cap ends with 04
Brake Fluid Flush
Drain Trans fluid
Replace oil filter housing

When replacing your plugs, thoroughly inspect your Coil packs for cracks.

Pull Throttle body and Intake tube and clean

That should keep you buisy
__________________
2002 S - old school third pedal
Seal Grey
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,987
there are service intervals for most items (except the water pump, which is a 3 year item):

oil filter
air filter
fuel filter
pollen filter


oil change
brake/clutch fluid flush
transmission fluid change
confirm - power steering fluid level, AC charge

poly rib belt
spark plug tube o-rings
brake pads and rotors (if worn beyond spec)
tires (if worn beyond spec or over a certain age)

smart stuff - treat your cv boots (less work than replacing them) oil pump piston and spring (smart oem upgrade) 2nd gear detent (if a 6-speed)

performance stuff - stainless brake lines, GT3 brake ducts

inspect for leaks/wear - shocks, brakes, suspension components and bushings, rms, cam covers, transmission shift linkage bushing
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 822
I'd start with the underdrives, then pull the motor mount, making it easier to get to the water pump.

spark plugs are a breeze to access, as is the thermostat

AOS is on the top back of the engine so you can do that whenever.

Be careful with the long snaked hose that goes from the crankcase pressure valve to the aos because replacing it without pulling the intake would be difficult if not impossible.

While doing engine mount and water pump, you'll be right by the fuel filter. Air filter takes like 30 seconds and is cheap so can't hurt.

Other than that you should be fine.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,604
Thank you for the tips, tricks, and insight. I've some additional inquiries. Thank you in advance.

To clarify: Tiptronic


kk2002s
Brake Fluid Flush - I have the SS lines. With a flush air will get in the system, no? Or if I keep the reservoir/bleeder full, should be OK? I've read that if air gets in the system it needs to be reprogrammed, yada, yada.

Drain Trans fluid - should I replace the filter?

Replace oil filter housing - I was thinking of getting the adapter... but that will follow all the other tasks. Thank you.

When replacing your plugs, thoroughly inspect your Coil packs for cracks. Should preemptively I, without having examined them, purchase them, and install everything in one fell swoop?

The Radium King
smart stuff - treat your cv boots (less work than replacing them) - How? And, with what? Thank you.

oil pump piston and spring (smart oem upgrade) - Added to my project list. Thank you.

performance stuff - stainless brake lines, GT3 brake ducts - SS lines in the box. Literally, in a box.


Quadcammer
I'd start with the underdrives, - is there more than one underdrive? I know only of the one. Pedro.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
smart stuff - treat your cv boots (less work than replacing them) - How? And, with what? Thank you.
i just use some armorall rubber treatment. the idea is to keep them clean and supple so they don't crack.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
i just use some armorall rubber treatment. the idea is to keep them clean and supple so they don't crack.
Thank you. I thought there might be a secretive process, and employing emollients purchased only through the dark web.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #8
Registered User
 
The Radium King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,987
no, but i would be open to learning about something better than armorall. cracked boots are a terror, and if you lose the cv (esp the outer one which requires replacement of the axle) then it gets worse x10.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,363
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
no, but i would be open to learning about something better than armorall. cracked boots are a terror, and if you lose the cv (esp the outer one which requires replacement of the axle) then it gets worse x10.
I have read on the internet 303 is the best so it might be true!
__________________
Jerk that is constantly criticzing new forum members and overly advertising my rebuilt engine for sale for a highly inflating price along with other miscellaneous parts accumulated over my 20 years of ownership.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #10
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,363
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
1998 Boxster 2.5

118,000

Second owner

Purchased 8.17. Service history unknown. Car looks, operates, runs, and drives like a 9. No noises, creaks, groans, oil consumption, overheating... zero.

In an effort to establish a new "starting point", engine maintenance-wise, I'm preparing to do some preventative maintenance within the next month or so and am reaching out for some insight and direction. In no particular order, yet, I will:

Replace AOS
Replace water pump
Replace spark plugs and tubes
Replace thermostat (low temp)
Replace engine mount
Install under drive pulley

I've read enough on these boards, and viewed enough videos, to be comfortable with these maintenance tasks. Thus, alone I'm confident in pulling it off. Hopefully the same day or over a couple of days. That said...

Is there any particular order in which I should undertake this project? What should I start with... and with what should I end?

Are there any maintenance projects I'm missing to which I should attend "... while I'm in there"? I may have to order more parts.

Aside from the requisite gaskets and seals, is there anything else I should purchase, and associated with those projects, for ..." while I'm in there"? For instance... replace hoses and lines... connections... etc. I may need to order more parts.

Any fluids and filters I should consider while I'm in there? In which order?

Likely I'll be doing this alone, unless otherwise advised.

Any assistance and/or opinion is appreciated. I will be taking notes. Thank you.
Step one to be done during the PPI is remove the oil filter housing & inspect the filter for anything that should not be there.Next remove the oil sump cover & inspect all you can there. If it passes install a LN Engineering full flow spin-on oil filter adapter then change the oil with new oil you have chosen after reading all you can on this forum & Rennlist 996 forum. Do not change the AOS until it shows signs of failing, the new one may be worse than what is on it now.
__________________
Jerk that is constantly criticzing new forum members and overly advertising my rebuilt engine for sale for a highly inflating price along with other miscellaneous parts accumulated over my 20 years of ownership.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 02-09-2018 at 03:47 PM. Reason: more info
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:56 PM   #11
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,604
Thank you, Radium King. Next time I'm under there I'll inspect.

Thank you, BYprodriver... yes... I've read about the AOS. Mine is the original, horizontal top... so that caused me little concern. I believe I'll hold off on that... keeping an eye out for signs of failure or, at the very least, recognizing smoke from the pipe as not good... pulling over... and off. Maybe testing for vacuum on occasion.

Thank you.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #12
Registered User
 
BYprodriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: O.C. CA
Posts: 3,363
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Thank you, Radium King. Next time I'm under there I'll inspect.

Thank you, BYprodriver... yes... I've read about the AOS. Mine is the original, horizontal top... so that caused me little concern. I believe I'll hold off on that... keeping an eye out for signs of failure or, at the very least, recognizing smoke from the pipe as not good... pulling over... and off. Maybe testing for vacuum on occasion.

Thank you.
I never seen the 1st design in person, I'd buy that from you when you do change it.
__________________
Jerk that is constantly criticzing new forum members and overly advertising my rebuilt engine for sale for a highly inflating price along with other miscellaneous parts accumulated over my 20 years of ownership.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #13
Registered User
 
kk2002s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S. New Jersey
Posts: 1,218
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Thank you for the tips, tricks, and insight. I've some additional inquiries. Thank you in advance.

To clarify: Tiptronic


kk2002s
Brake Fluid Flush - I have the SS lines. With a flush air will get in the system, no? Or if I keep the reservoir/bleeder full, should be OK? I've read that if air gets in the system it needs to be reprogrammed, yada, yada.

Drain Trans fluid - should I replace the filter?

Replace oil filter housing - I was thinking of getting the adapter... but that will follow all the other tasks. Thank you.

When replacing your plugs, thoroughly inspect your Coil packs for cracks. Should preemptively I, without having examined them, purchase them, and install everything in one fell swoop?

The Radium King
smart stuff - treat your cv boots (less work than replacing them) - How? And, with what? Thank you.

oil pump piston and spring (smart oem upgrade) - Added to my project list. Thank you.

performance stuff - stainless brake lines, GT3 brake ducts - SS lines in the box. Literally, in a box.


Quadcammer
I'd start with the underdrives, - is there more than one underdrive? I know only of the one. Pedro.

I used a power bleeder $60 and allows 1 person
Im manual guy but if i had tip i would do fluid and filter

New housing for me as bypass spring gets old. But if your going to spin no reason to change

Coil packs are pricy so only if you see evidence of damage replace. I started getting random missfire cel and 3 of 6 were cracked so i replace all

kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page