View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #1
Starter986
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Maintenance logistics inquiries

1998 Boxster 2.5

Second owner

Purchased 8.17. Service history unknown. Car looks, operates, runs, and drives like a 9. No noises, creaks, groans, oil consumption, overheating... zero.

In an effort to establish a new "starting point", engine maintenance-wise, I'm preparing to do some preventative maintenance within the next month or so and am reaching out for some insight and direction. In no particular order, yet, I will:

Replace AOS
Replace water pump
Replace spark plugs and tubes
Replace thermostat (low temp)
Replace engine mount
Install under drive pulley

I've read enough on these boards, and viewed enough videos, to be comfortable with these maintenance tasks. Thus, alone I'm confident in pulling it off. Hopefully the same day or over a couple of days. That said...

Is there any particular order in which I should undertake this project? What should I start with... and with what should I end?

Are there any maintenance projects I'm missing to which I should attend "... while I'm in there"? I may have to order more parts.

Aside from the requisite gaskets and seals, is there anything else I should purchase, and associated with those projects, for ..." while I'm in there"? For instance... replace hoses and lines... connections... etc. I may need to order more parts.

Any fluids and filters I should consider while I'm in there? In which order?

Likely I'll be doing this alone, unless otherwise advised.

Any assistance and/or opinion is appreciated. I will be taking notes. Thank you.