Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 07:15 AM   #1

986 Haters

I am fairly quite on all forums I belong to, with a 5 year old and 5 month old my time is taken up but I needed to say something and see if others get the same. I have owned my 2001 Boxster S for 2 years now (64k miles). I always loved Porsche and wanted one so when I saw the Boxster prices under $15k for an S in pretty good shape I decided to sell my 1999 Mustang Cobra and look for a Boxster. I did many repairs and upgrades and the my car is pretty well sorted now, mostly completed by me. I have been a PCA member and attended some meetings/events but not everyone, who has time for that? So here is my rant- I am 36 years old but l could pass for 30 and I feel the Boxster hate from other Porsche guys. Sorry I cant afford a GT3 and spend 5 grand on seat stitching but I am an enthusiast. To me I like 924's to 964's and all are Porsches no matter what. I seem to get the cold shoulder from many other Porsche owners, honestly they say Porsche owners are snobs and I see it. The Mustangs guys are alot more accepting as are Toyota guys (another interest of mine). I didnt buy the car for hanging out with other owners but the camaraderie is part of the ownership of a marque. Is it because I look young? Is it because I drive a $15k Boxster? Whats up with PCA members at least in my region? I have tried talking to guys at meetings and some are cool but the majority aren't. Will the 986 hate every go away?:ah:

2001 Boxster 986 S, 6spd, arctic silver, black interior with black rear glass top, 18" staggered black powder-coated Porsche twists, aftermarket exhaust, smoked headlights and taillights, 20mm rear hubcentric billet wheel spacers, 5mm front billet wheel spacers, de-snorkled, passenger airbag switch, 997 shifter upgrade, LN engineering dual row update, Koni FSD with H&R sport springs, Joe Toth composites rear duck tail spoiler.
marcoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:31 AM   #2

Garage
Porsches in general have a selection bias and attract a certain owner. We can be pretty judgmental people in general. We have pre conceived notions about how things should be. That’s why we buy a car that’s mid engine and manual. As it should be. We have high standards and rank things in our lives against such.

This ties into people. I don’t think porsches owners will particularly hate on members within a group for what they drive. But I could see discrimination on other factors being very present.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:40 AM   #3

I know some guys see the 986 as the "poor mans porsche" but it hasnt been "cheap" to repair in my book. Is this a reason is that its an "entry" level Porsche? last time I checked it has the crest on the hood and saved Porsche in the 90's. Maybe I just need to deal with it and hang out only with 986 guys lol.
2001 Boxster 986 S, 6spd, arctic silver, black interior with black rear glass top, 18" staggered black powder-coated Porsche twists, aftermarket exhaust, smoked headlights and taillights, 20mm rear hubcentric billet wheel spacers, 5mm front billet wheel spacers, de-snorkled, passenger airbag switch, 997 shifter upgrade, LN engineering dual row update, Koni FSD with H&R sport springs, Joe Toth composites rear duck tail spoiler.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #4

I owned Porsches for 7 yrs before I joined our club and only joined because I needed to be a member to do DEs. I heard stories about nose high attitudes and a dislike for Boxsters or someone who wasn't "rich" (in general, not specifically to my local club) that gave me reservations about joining. I could not have been more wrong in my assumptions. We have a great club with a diverse income background and car collections. Everyone gets along and we all rub elbows at events. Maybe it's a Midwest thing, as we're known as friendly folk. Regardless, I'm sorry I didn't join sooner as some of my best friends are club members.

Might try to give everyone a chance, interact with everyone and see who's open. Then hang with those folks. Who wants to hang with snobs anyways? But give everyone 2-3 GOOD chances before writing them off. Maybe you caught them in an unusual moment. Take the high road and don't assume you're getting attitude. Rather than discussing which particular car everyone has, maybe ask where they have theirs serviced or how they drive it or a new model that's coming out - something less car specific to get the conversation going. Find some common ground and go from there.

You might also try becoming active on the club's board. Pick a job that's interesting to you and see if you can get elected to it, maybe social chair. Infiltrate the inner structure and then work to make the board more inclusive. Suggest events like fun runs or low key social activities, etc. That may help the openness filter down to the members.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #5

Some what "tongue in cheek".
911 folks look down on all "non-911" models with the 996 being on the bottom of the pecking order.
996's look down on 986's.
1st Gen Boxsters look down on all other Boxsters
TT 'ers look down on all other 911's
air/oli coolers look down on the "water" cooled (and there is a pecking order within the air/oil cooled folks, someone else will have to clarify)
356'ers look down on every one
people who race look down on the unwashed masses

(Opinions based on 50+ years of owning roadsters and being ridiculed for my choices)(lots of smiley faces)

But we all love our cars... and isn't that all that matters?
zoomster1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:57 AM   #6

I don't go to any of the PCGB meets in or near London anymore, I think that tells you everything about their attitude.
That986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:58 AM   #7

Garage
Porsche certainly is a high end label, with all the snobbery that some people feel they are entitled to. Porsche marketing doesn't help either.

986er need to rise up and crush the 911 elite class once and for all. Burn all the air cooled flat sixes to the ground

There is strength in our numbers. That is probably why we are the low Porsche on the totem pole, they built so many 986s

All you can do is enjoy the ride
Old 12-04-2017, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomster1776 View Post
911 folks look down on all "non-911" models with the 996 being on the bottom of the pecking order.
air/oli coolers look down on the "water" cooled (and there is a pecking order within the air/oil cooled folks, someone else will have to clarify)

(Opinions based on 50+ years of owning roadsters and being ridiculed for my choices)(lots of smiley faces)

It is what matters but there are many owners that see the Marque as a "status" symbol.
I see some other members agree with my observations.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
I owned Porsches for 7 yrs before I joined our club and only joined because I needed to be a member to do DEs. I heard stories about nose high attitudes and a dislike for Boxsters or someone who wasn't "rich" (in general, not specifically to my local club) that gave me reservations about joining. I could not have been more wrong in my assumptions. We have a great club with a diverse income background and car collections. Everyone gets along and we all rub elbows at events. Maybe it's a Midwest thing, as we're known as friendly folk. Regardless, I'm sorry I didn't join sooner as some of my best friends are club members.

Might try to give everyone a chance, interact with everyone and see who's open. Then hang with those folks. Who wants to hang with snobs anyways? But give everyone 2-3 GOOD chances before writing them off. Maybe you caught them in an unusual moment. Take the high road and don't assume you're getting attitude. Rather than discussing which particular car everyone has, maybe ask where they have theirs serviced or how they drive it or a new model that's coming out - something less car specific to get the conversation going. Find some common ground and go from there.

You might also try becoming active on the club's board. Pick a job that's interesting to you and see if you can get elected to it, maybe social chair. Infiltrate the inner structure and then work to make the board more inclusive. Suggest events like fun runs or low key social activities, etc. That may help the openness filter down to the members.
I do go to driving events and make conversation with some here and there, not all are snobs obviously but majority are. With my line of work I can't commit plus a young family time is too valuable.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #10

Garage
I am a 2004 Boxster S owner and a very active member of the PCA NER region, having done DE, AX, Tours, Concourse and training sessions. Not once have I run into any snobbery or looking down upon Boxsters. We have a great and welcoming group here, and I plan to do everything I can to keep it that way.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #11

I find most guys are ok. I do think Sometimes people just like to talk about themselves and what they have. If you listen, they get along. You just hope they ask a question about your ride back. I make a point to try and talk to everyone about their car "story". The car is only part of the interest for me. A guy that dropped 100k and just turns the key doesn't make much of a story. I have met a few like that but they make it fun talking about how they just wrote a check and don't even know what a screwdriver is. I guess at the end of the day, assume nothing. Most people are good and the ones that are not, oh well. You just hope they learn. Life to short to be a dick.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomster1776 View Post

I like the observation. Honestly, after having owned different brand, the food chain is there for each make. I am part of Ferrari and Lamborghini forums and the same talk is from owners of older models. For example one of my favorite Ferrari, Mondial 3.2, seems to be the Boxster of Ferrari, with owners noting new model owners not being really receptive. You probably do have a valid point.
I think owning a motorcycle was the best from waving to just talking with different people about riding in general.
redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #13

Garage
Geez, I don’t know why anyone would care much what other Porsche guys think. The one’s with attitude are most likely idiots and really don’t know much more about their cars than how they think they look in it. I’ve owned 3 911’s; 71S, 72E, 78 SC. None were in spectacular shape, but I put a lot of miles on them. Fun sure. But truthfully, my 2000 2.7 Boxster is a better driver. Does everything better with the exception of seating position. The old 911’s had a ton of leg room. I do miss that. But heat not coming out of heater boxes from under an air/oil cooled engine is nice. Real AC, nice. Mid engine handling, nice. I’d like another old 911 sure. But not willing at this point to take a second mortgage for it.

My 2 bits. Enjoy your Boxsters. Really fun cars.
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #14

I am lucky in that my social circle is part of the R Gruppe, they just love to run their cars hard and have a good time. I have the only Boxster in the group (not an official member) and am accepted as part of the scene. I was even invited by Chris to attend the next Treffen. I just went on an epic weekend with the guys and had a blast. I get good natured ribbing from one or two guys but they get it right back. When I first got it they called it a chick car, now that they see how good this car is I don't hear that anymore!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #15

Try different types of events in your region. From my experience in a couple regions, friendliness is inverse to what you might expect.

If snobbery shows up, it typically is isolated to "the waxers" as a friend refers to them. Those who EXCLUSIVELY participate in show-n-shine/concours events and nothing else. Simple insecurity on their part which I know you can rise above. If anything this makes perfect sense as "they" are attending to just 'show off' an object for praise... as opposed to connecting with people (which is the true purpose). And before anyone takes offense to term "waxers", yes I do concours events occasionally and in full disclosure have done very well in them with the same car I had put on the track a few weeks earlier.

On the other hand, typically "drivers" in a club (aka those who participate in DE, AX and even most rally drivers) are most welcoming/friendly. Huge camaraderie develops weekends at a track... or whilst spending a day humping cones. Not to mention skill [usually] humbles quickly. You can talk a huge game all you want but proof is in the pudding when you're doing 150-200 feet per second. Guys in an original 944 w skill can easily embarrass drivers w/ double and even triple the HP. By the same token, I've also seen a guy w a stock Gen-3 VW Golf run neck to neck w a 997 GT3RS owner (talk about humbling) yet at the end of the day they'll grab a beer, dinner and a cigar together.

Again try different types of events in your region. Some also comes down to your confidence level. If someone asks what you drive, say "A sweet 2001 986 S (or Boxster if you prefer) which I do much maintenance on and keep modifying to meet my needs"... As opposed to what I've witnessed more than once - "Oh, just an old Boxster". Exhibit your automotive passion and despise of lesser German marques - especially BMW (yes I'm a BMWCCA member). The vast vast vast majority of people could not care less how much you paid for a vehicle. In fact most will instead try to connect w/ you by saying something complimentary of your vehicle and or connecting you w someone they know in the club who has the same. If not, eff 'em.

Good luck

PS - if you want to really see snobs, swing by any Mercedes Club event and watch all the 3-4 person cliques... It's quite entertaining

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 12-04-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by That986 View Post
I don't go to any of the PCGB meets in or near London anymore, I think that tells you everything about their attitude.
Yeah, that you're a snob and they aren't!

j/k
Old 12-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #17

Never experienced a different reaction between my 993tt and my boxster. Especially at the track, the box always gets positive comments. Maybe the wrong crowd, try the guys who autox or de, they seem to be less snobby
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #18

Garage
Just happy I have a 986 in good condition with about 175k miles So far the Orlando Porsche club let’s me in LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
I am a 2004 Boxster S owner and a very active member of the PCA NER region, having done DE, AX, Tours, Concourse and training sessions. Not once have I run into any snobbery or looking down upon Boxsters. We have a great and welcoming group here, and I plan to do everything I can to keep it that way.
I am a newer member and its an observation, hell my old man had an 85 Carrera and he said the same over 15 years ago. I am not the only one who notices this either. I am not expecting warm hugs but this is the most unfriendly group of enthusiasts I have meet. I have been involved in Toyota, Mustang, VW/Audi, Dodge groups so I have some experience.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
Geez, I don’t know why anyone would care much what other Porsche guys think. The one’s with attitude are most likely idiots and really don’t know much more about their cars than how they think they look in it. I’ve owned 3 911’s; 71S, 72E, 78 SC. None were in spectacular shape, but I put a lot of miles on them. Fun sure. But truthfully, my 2000 2.7 Boxster is a better driver. Does everything better with the exception of seating position. The old 911’s had a ton of leg room. I do miss that. But heat not coming out of heater boxes from under an air/oil cooled engine is nice. Real AC, nice. Mid engine handling, nice. I’d like another old 911 sure. But not willing at this point to take a second mortgage for it.

My 2 bits. Enjoy your Boxsters. Really fun cars.
Its not what others think, read my original post its the general demeanor of SOME owners. I am stating an observation.