Thread: 986 Haters
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #15
Burg Boxster

Try different types of events in your region. From my experience in a couple regions, friendliness is inverse to what you might expect.

If snobbery shows up, it typically is isolated to "the waxers" as a friend refers to them. Those who EXCLUSIVELY participate in show-n-shine/concours events and nothing else. Simple insecurity on their part which I know you can rise above. If anything this makes perfect sense as "they" are attending to just 'show off' an object for praise... as opposed to connecting with people (which is the true purpose). And before anyone takes offense to term "waxers", yes I do concours events occasionally and in full disclosure have done very well in them with the same car I had put on the track a few weeks earlier.

On the other hand, typically "drivers" in a club (aka those who participate in DE, AX and even most rally drivers) are most welcoming/friendly. Huge camaraderie develops weekends at a track... or whilst spending a day humping cones. Not to mention skill [usually] humbles quickly. You can talk a huge game all you want but proof is in the pudding when you're doing 150-200 feet per second. Guys in an original 944 w skill can easily embarrass drivers w/ double and even triple the HP. By the same token, I've also seen a guy w a stock Gen-3 VW Golf run neck to neck w a 997 GT3RS owner (talk about humbling) yet at the end of the day they'll grab a beer, dinner and a cigar together.

Again try different types of events in your region. Some also comes down to your confidence level. If someone asks what you drive, say "A sweet 2001 986 S (or Boxster if you prefer) which I do much maintenance on and keep modifying to meet my needs"... As opposed to what I've witnessed more than once - "Oh, just an old Boxster". Exhibit your automotive passion and despise of lesser German marques - especially BMW (yes I'm a BMWCCA member). The vast vast vast majority of people could not care less how much you paid for a vehicle. In fact most will instead try to connect w/ you by saying something complimentary of your vehicle and or connecting you w someone they know in the club who has the same. If not, eff 'em.

Good luck

PS - if you want to really see snobs, swing by any Mercedes Club event and watch all the 3-4 person cliques... It's quite entertaining

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 12-04-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote