Thread: 986 Haters
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #4
husker boxster

I owned Porsches for 7 yrs before I joined our club and only joined because I needed to be a member to do DEs. I heard stories about nose high attitudes and a dislike for Boxsters or someone who wasn't "rich" (in general, not specifically to my local club) that gave me reservations about joining. I could not have been more wrong in my assumptions. We have a great club with a diverse income background and car collections. Everyone gets along and we all rub elbows at events. Maybe it's a Midwest thing, as we're known as friendly folk. Regardless, I'm sorry I didn't join sooner as some of my best friends are club members.

Might try to give everyone a chance, interact with everyone and see who's open. Then hang with those folks. Who wants to hang with snobs anyways? But give everyone 2-3 GOOD chances before writing them off. Maybe you caught them in an unusual moment. Take the high road and don't assume you're getting attitude. Rather than discussing which particular car everyone has, maybe ask where they have theirs serviced or how they drive it or a new model that's coming out - something less car specific to get the conversation going. Find some common ground and go from there.

You might also try becoming active on the club's board. Pick a job that's interesting to you and see if you can get elected to it, maybe social chair. Infiltrate the inner structure and then work to make the board more inclusive. Suggest events like fun runs or low key social activities, etc. That may help the openness filter down to the members.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote