Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2006, 01:41 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
********************************AZ is awesome!

I recently placed an order for new spark plugs and a cabin filter from ********************************AZ. It showed up in 3 business days,UPS Ground(AZ to Sacramento,CA). I have had about 5 orders from them in the past with no problem,this time was a little different. I opened the box with the parts and the cabin filter was crammed sideways in the box. It was so bent out of shape and beaten up I wasnt going to put it in the car. Well I called ********************************AZ and they immediately shipped me a new one for free,no questions, they dont even want the old one back! Awesome customer service!

Old 07-29-2006, 08:25 AM   #2

Hi,

I am glad you're happy with this Vendor.

But, isn't it interesting that we lavish praise on a Vendor for replacing a part which they damaged in shipping? Isn't that to be expected?

I think we as consumers are too ready to accept whatever a Vendor does and not hold them to the proper standard, after all, it's they who want copius amounts of our money. We shout their praises from the rooftops (or Forums) if they actually do what should rightfully be expected of them in the first place.

We need to hold these Vendors accountable (including Mechanics and Dealers) and reserve our praise for one who actually does something praiseworthy as opposed to merely performaing as they should. Just my $0.02...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:55 AM   #3

Great Expectations

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
But, isn't it interesting that we lavish praise on a Vendor for replacing a part which they damaged in shipping? Isn't that to be expected?

Hmm, yes, it is to be expected for the part to be replaced. The lack of hassle and how fast they did it is what impressed blinkwatt (I assume). I think most companies would have had him send it back -even damaged, then have him wait for a while... then send the new part after the problem has been confirmed... (with no tracking numbers).

It's all quite relative though.

With many sub par experiences from vendors, expectations decline. Regardless, to get "praise," a vendor doesn't have to be great -or even good. It just has to exceed one's expectations. (same goes for products, services, etc.)

This isn't such a bad thing. Every time I go to Taco Bell, I expect them to get my order wrong. When they get it right, it's a bonus, a celebration! "Kudos to Mr. Bell, I'm having a great Border Experience" I exclaim!

Have you ever seen some one at a fast food joint put up an audible stink because their order was wrong? Talk about expectations too high... Everytime I see that, I want to yell,
"Relax, it's just a taco!"
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com

Last edited by Jeph; 07-29-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #4

Smile

"Have you ever seen some one at a fast food joint put up an audible stink because their order was wrong? Talk about expectations too high... Everytime I see that, I want to yell,
"Relax, it's just a taco"

Well, I guess I would respectfully disagree with this sentiment. Perhaps we should all start to hold ANY vendor to higher standards. I am NOT suggesting that we expect a four star meal at Taco Bell, of course that is not what they are promising nor what you are paying for.

What you ARE paying for is the item you ordered, not something else. Since the folks at these FF joints seem to live in some other world of consciousness, sometimes it seems that the customer is the last thing on their mind.

So, maybe, just maybe, a jolt back to reality, in the form of, "hey, dude, can you get OFF the phone and fill my order correctly?" might not be a bad thing.

It is one thing to make a mistake, it is another to be inattentive to the point of being rude.

Just my two cents.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #5

MN, you're right. We should praise a company not when they send us our stuff fast, not when they respond to complaints fast, not when we get the stuff on time, or even when we get the replacement stuff fast.

Praise should be offered to companies that go above and beyond the norm stated above.

However, I gotta say that it's nice to hear from Blink that this company understands basic customer service. Sadly, it's uncommon these days!

Jeph, your example of repeat trips to Taco Bell is very telling, my friend. Yes, very telling. Now I understand far more about you than ever before.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
It is one thing to make a mistake, it is another to be inattentive to the point of being rude.
I am referring to the former of these 2. However, if I discover a place to be more of what you have described, it's just easier to no longer patronize that establishment.

Oh, and Randall, I must say for the record that the Taco Bell I frequent most is bizarrely accurate and speedy upon my numerous visits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVx2JKuZp04&search=taco%20town%20snl
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:26 AM   #7

Hi,

Hey, I'm not slammin' Blink and am happy that he had a positive experience.

What I am saying is that this should be the norm, not the exception. But, if we issue unwarranted praise for a Vendor simply doing what should be normal, then where is the incentive to reach for greater heights? By settling for normal or sub-par performance, we take away the incentive for those who hope to increase their business by providing better service - if we patronize those who don't, then we're sending the message to these Vendors that it doesn't matter what you do, that improving the Customer Experience (with all it's increased cost, attention, and effort) doesn't pay off.

One of the first Hotel Chains in the world was started by a guy named Conrad Statler (several of his hotels have since changed hands, but still retain the Statler name). Anyway, in each of his hotel lobbies, Statler had a small plaque which read: "Life is Service, those who succeed, give their fellow man a little better service..."

I think if we believe this, it is up to us to expect this of a Vendor and not to succumb to expediency or indifference. But, as I said, - just my humble $0.02...

Old 07-29-2006, 11:58 AM   #8

Talking

If I had to generalize, I would say the service I personally receive as I go about my life as a consumer is average to poor at best.

Of course, I fly alot, so that could explain my outlook!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 03:13 PM   #9

Jeph, that Taco town skit made me hungry! Taco's rolled up in a blueberry pancake? What could be better? Maybe a Taco ground up and blended with a Starbucks Decaf skim sugar free Hazelnut latte?
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:03 PM   #10

when I order a taco, I expect a taco, and get upset if there is no taco in the bag...that is the basis of good customer service...a taco today, a cabin filter the next...so yes, it makes me very annoyed when the kid at the ff messes up my order.
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster

One of the first Hotel Chains in the world was started by a guy named Conrad Statler (several of his hotels have since changed hands, but still retain the Statler name). Anyway, in each of his hotel lobbies, Statler had a small plaque which read: "Life is Service, those who succeed, give their fellow man a little better service..."

I think if we believe this, it is up to us to expect this of a Vendor and not to succumb to expediency or indifference. But, as I said, - just my humble $0.02...

While I agree that we should expect good service from vendors, I also think that satisfying customers with issues is just as important. Likewise, I am intrigued by good forum discussions and while I enjoyed some Taco Bell *incorrect amount of fire sauce -- hot sauce is just not the same* I decided to research the story of Conrad Statler since I was moved by the aforementioned quote. Unfortunately, there is no Conrad Statler. ELLSWORTH Statler (1997 inductee for the Conrad N. Hilton College of the University of Houston) was the hotel mogel. CONRAD Hilton purchased the Statler chain in 1954.

That's my nickels-worth *I gotta count more for inflation and early retirement*

Last edited by cfos; 07-30-2006 at 08:34 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos
While I agree that we should expect good service from vendors, I also think that satisfying customers with issues is just as important. Likewise, I am intrigued by good forum discussions and while I enjoyed some Taco Bell *incorrect amount of fire sauce -- hot sauce is just not the same* I decided to research the story of Conrad Statler since I was moved by the aforementioned quote. Unfortunately, there is no Conrad Statler. ELLSWORTH Statler (1997 inductee for the Conrad N. Hilton College of the University of Houston) was the hotel mogel. CONRAD Hilton purchased the Statler chain in 1954.

That's my nickels-worth *I gotta count more for inflation and early retirement*

Hi,

You're quite correct it was Ellsworth, maybe a Senior Moment for me. Anyway, I learned of Statler early on in my 20+ year career in the Hospitality Industry. Thanks for the correction. A little more about him:

Ellsworth Statler was born poor and started working in Hotels as a Bell Boy at 13. His unique philosophy that "Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service" is just as true today as when he coined the phrase. He was also the first to give hotel employees a six-day week, paid vacations, and free health service. He devised a profit sharing plan that matched a free stock share with each one purchased by employees. He died in 1928 and his Wife, Alice, carried on and grew the business until it was sold to Conrad Hilton in 1954...