View Single Post
Old 07-30-2006, 08:43 PM   #12
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos
While I agree that we should expect good service from vendors, I also think that satisfying customers with issues is just as important. Likewise, I am intrigued by good forum discussions and while I enjoyed some Taco Bell *incorrect amount of fire sauce -- hot sauce is just not the same* I decided to research the story of Conrad Statler since I was moved by the aforementioned quote. Unfortunately, there is no Conrad Statler. ELLSWORTH Statler (1997 inductee for the Conrad N. Hilton College of the University of Houston) was the hotel mogel. CONRAD Hilton purchased the Statler chain in 1954.

That's my nickels-worth *I gotta count more for inflation and early retirement*

Hi,

You're quite correct it was Ellsworth, maybe a Senior Moment for me. Anyway, I learned of Statler early on in my 20+ year career in the Hospitality Industry. Thanks for the correction. A little more about him:

Ellsworth Statler was born poor and started working in Hotels as a Bell Boy at 13. His unique philosophy that "Life is service. The one who progresses is the one who gives his fellow human beings a little more, a little better service" is just as true today as when he coined the phrase. He was also the first to give hotel employees a six-day week, paid vacations, and free health service. He devised a profit sharing plan that matched a free stock share with each one purchased by employees. He died in 1928 and his Wife, Alice, carried on and grew the business until it was sold to Conrad Hilton in 1954...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote