Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
well, personally i feel that ******************************************* unless of course you ************************* but it might be due to ******************** or trump. worst case scenario, you can ************************************* sense of ownership ******************* membership based ****************************** rules ***************** freedom ************************ god and country ****************************.

'nuff said.

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
And that's exactly what's happening. Pelican is going to kill this forum or, at the least, change it into something less than it was. A lot of us have migrated to another page (not rennlist) and will phase this site out completely.
Jake Raby doesn't post here anymore.
Remember Brad Roberts? Very knowledgeable guy.
Where'd they go?

Anyway, I spend more time there than here lately.

Their site to do with what they want, but it can be self-destructive. Some of us were here before Pelican and helped build this sites content and reputation. It sucks to see it getting worse (poor maintenance, censorship, ads disguised as posts).

That's all I have to say. Back to that other page.
Well…

But where to go?
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #23

Quote:
And that's exactly what's happening. Pelican is going to kill this forum or, at the least, change it into something less than it was. A lot of us have migrated to another page (not rennlist) and will phase this site out completely.
Jake Raby doesn't post here anymore.
Where'd they go?

Anyway, I spend more time there than here lately.

Their site to do with what they want, but it can be self-destructive. Some of us were here before Pelican and helped build this sites content and reputation. It sucks to see it getting worse (poor maintenance, censorship, ads disguised as posts).

That's all I have to say. Back to that other page.
Somehow, I don't think editing out a few competing websites is going to kill this forum. It's funny how it's even riling so many people up - there is obviously still a lot of passion here, so that's a good thing.

And where is this other site you speak? There are many other Porsche and Boxster forums out there, including FB, right PW?
Old 02-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #24

Me think some should try China for a year or two and experience the real deal. We don't have little **** here, we only have life in prison and occasional executions LOL

See it on the bright side
Old 02-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #25
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Where'd they go?
Brad Roberts is keeping super busy traveling the country doing race car support and coaching. I see him at most of the events that I attend and then he tells me about the 2 or 4 or 8 events that he's supported since I last saw him. The man is BUSY!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #26
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Brad Roberts is keeping super busy traveling the country doing race car support and coaching. I see him at most of the events that I attend and then he tells me about the 2 or 4 or 8 events that he's supported since I last saw him. The man is BUSY!
Yep, good guy.
I'm referring to the Boxster Tech FB page. Yeah, I know. I said I'd never go back to FB, but there are lots of members in need of assistance there, which I like. Not super active, but not bad. Brad posts there regularly and has said that he doesn't post here anymore because of certain folks in charge, IIRC.

Anyway, I'm not all tore up about the censoring. I just don't like it.
986 forum is still my #1 girl.

Yes, Markus. I'm banned from rennlist and have been for a couple years. That's what happens when you argue with a moderator via pm. What can I say? I can be a jerk...and I'm ok with that. Their 986 sub-forum (macster's rumpus room) is pretty lame, anyway.

Last edited by particlewave; 02-02-2017 at 03:42 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #27

I'm member of a Machinists forum (savages.com LOLL), a rottweiler forum, a engineering one, and they ALL censored stuff. Hell, even have entire posts going missing, which NEVER happened here.

In ranks, I think the 986forum top #1 for me. Quality of ppl especially. DONT LEAVEEEEEE
Old 02-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
And I would be cool with changing the top banner from 986forum.com to maybe something like "986forum.com sponsored by Pelican Parts" or something similar? I believe it to be expensive to host a forum and I am thankful to Pelican for hosting this, the best 986 Boxster forum!
You and Jay have changed the world

Old 02-03-2017, 12:05 AM   #29

I really appreciate that Pelican hosts this website. I feel like I'm one of their biggest fans. I think half my car has come from them!

It doesn't bother me if they delete links to competitors (as owners of the site that's their right), but it does seem a bit petty (and I realize it might not seem petty to them!) There have been instances where I've posted links to competitor websites, but out of respect to Pelican I have only done that if Pelican doesn't sell something or their price is way out of line (I haven't seen that happen very often). In those rare instances when I've done that, they haven't deleted my posts or blocked my links.

Their parts prices are usually very competitive, they ship super fast, and they're a great resource when trying to locate hard to find parts. You can actually call them and get a human on the phone. They've helped me out a bunch of times.

I'd agree though that it would make sense to have Pelican put their name on the banner if competitor links are being blocked or deleted. At least that way it wouldn't be a big surprise when something like that happens. An analogy I'd make would be if this was the Starbucks Forums and people kept posting links to "Seattle's Best Coffee", no one would go nuts if those links were blocked or deleted, but if it was Coffee Lovers Forums and the same thing happened, people would probably go crazy.

Side note: I'd like to thank all the forum members who have helped me over the past 3.5 years. That's the real power of these forums, the fact that you can connect to some really knowledgeable people who have gone through what you are going through and can steer you in the right direction.

I have to echo Nine8Six on this - PLEASE DON'T LEAVE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I'm member of a Machinists forum (savages.com LOLL), a rottweiler forum, a engineering one, and they ALL censored stuff. Hell, even have entire posts going missing, which NEVER happened here.

In ranks, I think the 986forum top #1 for me. Quality of ppl especially. DONT LEAVEEEEEE
Old 02-03-2017, 03:11 AM   #30

If you are reading this, Pelicanparts

OP is 100% correct when you think of it, nobody likes to be voice-cancelled.

To eliminate this negative effect my advice to you would be to replace those **** with your actual URL (pelicanparts.com) so when ppl post something out of a competitor website, they would be redirected to a 404 page on Pelicanparts.com

That 404 page could read, "Looking for something? choose vehicle model, or contact us". Many ways to make a 404 page look & feel fun!

That way:

1) the message is clear(er)
2) the negative censuring effect is gone
3) You make more money by keeping it all in-house

and done!
Old 02-03-2017, 04:52 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
OP is 100% correct when you think of it, nobody likes to be voice-cancelled.

To eliminate this negative effect my advice to you would be to replace those **** with your actual URL (pelicanparts.com) so when ppl post something out of a competitor website, they would be redirected to a 404 page on Pelicanparts.com

That 404 page could read, "Looking for something? choose vehicle model, or contact us". Many ways to make a 404 page look & feel fun!

That way:

1) the message is clear(er)
2) the negative censuring effect is gone
3) You make more money by keeping it all in-house

and done!
Sounds quasi reasonable but I'm sure there's a FTC violation or two in that plan. A la there have been cases where Company A will buy a web domain which sounds or whom others might think is Company B's. Then when attempting to reach said Company B site a user is redirected to Company A. I'm sure a couple attorneys could keep very bu$y arguing such a case here as it'll be more about who has the deeper pockets first before figuring out who may actually be 'right'...

Bottom line: This is Pelican's sandbox and they can run however they want. You're welcome to set up your own forum and run differently should you so choose. Otherwise we've learned how to creatively slip (bra-less errr ummm cars... and) profanity past the filters w/ misspelling. Or my personal favorite by adding a deliberate spaces between a letter or two...
Old 02-03-2017, 05:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster View Post
Sounds quasi reasonable but I'm sure there's a FTC violation
When rule of law goes as far as governing what "sounds or whom others might think" you start to realize the kinda shi_tty place this world can be sometimes. I'll take little **** all day long in that case.

Love to the roadster forever!
Old 02-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #33

Meanwhile back at the ranch, all we hear is the crickets chirping. Is Pelican laying low or just not reading any of this or ??
Old 02-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Meanwhile back at the ranch, all we hear is the crickets chirping. Is Pelican laying low or just not reading any of this or ??
They are reading, they have made some changes already like adding PelicanParts.com to the forum banner logo.

The ****** website urls are still there - I was reading Ben006's thread on ball bearing shifters yesterday and I clicked a link to a before/after picture of a short shifter on another site that sells parts and was unable because the URL had been replaced by ************.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #35
I am my own mechanic....

I've had great experience with ********************************************
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #36
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
I've had great experience with ********************************************
very funny Tim
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:16 PM   #37
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
very funny Tim
This can be a fun game.

First word. Another word for cars in general.

Second word. The city that lost the super bowl.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #38
On the slippery slope

Garage
You mean Auto atlanta.com?
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:52 AM   #39
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
You mean Auto atlanta.com?
That's funny....it changed it when I typed it out.