Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2016, 04:59 PM   #21
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I bought my used and it was supposed to have 2 VINs left. Low and behold, it had 3.
The funny thing is, I have connected it to both my 986 and 996 and it still says 3 VINs left
Funny, I've had the same experience as Jay - bought used with 2 VIN's left and then used it on my silver Boxster, blue 996, and now the black Boxster.

Kudos to Durametric for not acting like the VIN police!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:43 PM   #22
Carnut

I bought the enthusiast version, used on the 986, our Cayenne and now on the new Boxster. As a garage warrior this is a must have!
Old 04-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #23

Garage
Seems like it's common for it to not register VIN's. I bought mine used, it didn't work. Thought I bought a clone by accident so I called Durametric. They were able to tell me it was authentic but for some reason or another was defective. They sent me a file to reset it, now it works fine but has never registered my VIN so I have three left
Old 05-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #24

Garage
I don't have one
Obviously won't help with the bolt ons like expansion tank,motor mount
But when codes flash and it starts missing and coughing it's got to be the go to tool

That's probably when I'll bite the bullet when i need to diagnose those issues

I would be nerves to hook it up and read my timing
It would be very interesting ro see how previous owners drove it
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:36 AM   #25

I want tunECU to make a software package for Porsche like they have for Triumph and KTM.
I've used vcds on our Volkswagens, but don't like the idea of possibly bricking anything by trying it on the box. When time comes for anything more complicated than my Bluetooth/iPhone reader I'll have to cave and get a durametric...
WillH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:17 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdDog View Post
ccjazz - thanks for the link! I'll definitely check it out when I have some time.

Ouch on having to buy a Pro cable! Those are double the price... Worth it if you have a shop or more than 3 Porsches, and I think they let you do a few extra things, but...
Haha.....yep BirdDog, it was more than I wanted to pay for sure. I would like to start doing some of my own maintenance and Durametric seemed like the right choice.

I thought the unlimited VIN's on the Pro might be a selling feature if I ever chose to sell....but with all the folks getting extra VIN's with the Enthusiast version maybe I was wrong.

Still happy I picked one up though.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:53 PM   #27

Bought one with specific purpose of activating OBC.

So far, it won't do it, so it's just a doorstop currently. Will verify wiring once it stops raining.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:10 AM   #28
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
You can send the enthusiast model in and they will upgrade it to the Pro for a lot less than buying a Pro right off the bat. I sent mine in and for $99 they upgraded it and sent it back. Upgrade cost may have gone up in the last couple years, but its an option most don't think about asking of them.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:49 AM   #29

I bought a $20 clone just after I bought my 986 to evaluate how useful it might be, with the intention of buying the authentic Durametric version.

There are a few times when I found it indispensable to read and reset codes but overall I'm not terribly impressed with its capabilities and that of the Real Durametric Enthusiast version.

Its lacking programming features for the security system and Engine tuning.

Our cars are run by computers now and there is no reason that you should not have full access to it with a device that costs $500 or less these days.

I'd gladly pay $500 for a Durametric Pro if you could reprogram car keys, play with security settings, turn options off and on and do engine tuning on top of the other diagnostic stuff.

A big problem is learning how to correlate all the readings and figure out how to use them to find issues and correct them.

It took me a while to figure out how to tell if your O2 sensors have died, and which ones, using the graphs.
I did figure it out eventually through many hours or research and trial and error to validate what I found.

We should absolutely have a section on using diagnostic tools like the Durametric and others and document how to debug specific issues.

I think the Performance and Technical section would be a good place for them and have a Index thread stickied and updated with links to all specific Diagnostic tools and procedures.

I think a group effort could get this done fairly quickly and easily with the help of a Moderator to do the sticky part and update the index page.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
A big problem is learning how to correlate all the readings and figure out how to use them to find issues and correct them.

We should absolutely have a section on using diagnostic tools like the Durametric and others and document how to debug specific issues.

I think the Performance and Technical section would be a good place for them and have a Index thread stickied and updated with links to all specific Diagnostic tools and procedures.

I think a group effort could get this done fairly quickly and easily with the help of a Moderator to do the sticky part and update the index page.
+ 1

Vote JFP for President…
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #31

I bought a pro about 6 months ago to add OBC and cruise control to my S. It worked fantastic. It does all kinds of other things too but I have not played with it enough to see whats good. Any suggestions would be appreciated. FOr the person who said theirs wont do the OBC, make sure you have selected the right instrument/gauge package.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #32
Perfectionist

Is there anyone with a Durametric Pro in the Los Angeles area who can help me activate my OBC and Cruise? I have a 2003 986S.

I am trying to avoid a day at the stealership.

Finally installing it today after having bought the 4-stalk and all the parts last year.
Thanks
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:03 AM   #33

Garage
I bought a Durametric Pro a few weeks ago to try and fix my alarm problems.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #34
Perfectionist

The enthusiast version of the Durametric cable can enable OBC but not cruise control on the 986/996
It's almost like a tease, I would have bought it if it did both.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #35
Perfectionist

Got my OBC and Cruise enabled at my Porsche mechanic, totally worth the price. I am glad it all worked first time so I didn't have to take it apart again
Old 09-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
The enthusiast version of the Durametric cable can enable OBC but not cruise control on the 986/996
It's almost like a tease, I would have bought it if it did both.
Are you saying that all cars have the capability of having cruise control?
All you have to do is turn it on?
My Beast 2004 Boxster SE #0174
- 3.8 with all the internal goodies, Under-mount Pulley, IPD Plenum, 996 Intake, Softronic Tune, 987 Factory Sport Exhaust, skid plates, IMS solution, Ohlins R&T, RSS Toe Links, Camber Plates, Michelin Pilot Super Sport on all 4 corners, Alpine Double Din c/w new speakers & amps.
Muskoka Minute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka Minute View Post
Are you saying that all cars have the capability of having cruise control?
All you have to do is turn it on?
Unfortunately there are more steps, I wish it was just a "turn on" thing, I miss cruise control on this vehicle, I end up going way too fast on the highway.

Porsche Boxster Cruise Control Installation - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote