986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   How many have the Durametric? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/61431-how-many-have-durametric.html)

NewArt 04-29-2016 05:28 PM

How many have the Durametric?

One of the first tools that I bought when I plunged into P-car ownership was a Durametric enthusiast version. This (to me) indispensable tool is selling brand new from Durametric for $287. It seems that everything that I do to this car costs more than that, and I do all the work myself!
I'm always surprised that those of us who are hands on with these cars would hesitate to buy this tool. It would seem that if you don't find it useful, you could always sell it for a good percentage of the original price, there is definitely a market for them! :)

Pdwight 04-29-2016 07:43 PM

I have the same one, got mine used with 2 VIN's left on it...now 1. I also thought this was indispensable for a DIY guy like myself

JayG 04-29-2016 07:50 PM

I bought my used and it was supposed to have 2 VINs left. Low and behold, it had 3.
The funny thing is, I have connected it to both my 986 and 996 and it still says 3 VINs left

Pdwight 04-29-2016 08:06 PM

Hacked......LOL

Tell us how....I wish the pro version was not so much money for a trade in

BirdDog 04-29-2016 08:17 PM

Bought mine brand new from Durametric for $287 (Enthusiast model). IMHO, well worth the money and a must have tool for any Boxster DIYer. If you get a used one, make sure it's the newer version 6 cable. I'd also recommend that you stay away from the cheap Chinese clone cables. An authentic cable will come in a molded gray plastic storage case without any software. You'll need to download the latest software from the Durametric website. I think I read that someone on the forum was able to buy a refurbished cable from Durametric at a discounted price.

Deserion 04-29-2016 08:53 PM

I have the enthusiast version that can also handle the pre-OBD2 cars (not sure if it's actually OBD1 or a proprietary form). It's been used on 3 cars but still has a VIN left since one wasn't OBD2. :D

I wish the Durametric was like the VCDS (formerly VAG-Com) from Ross-Tech. No limit on how many cars can be connected to it (may have changed on newer ones) and it can do much, much more. Alas. I have both and I'm very glad for that.

rick3000 04-29-2016 08:55 PM

I bought mine last year when I was doing my first DIY service. It was very helpful to be able to run a full diagnostic, check certain values, and test/trigger certain things. That said, it has not gotten much use since, besides checking a few codes. I wish there was a comprehensive guide to understanding the raw data the Durametric provides because if I knew what it all meant, I would use it a lot more often. Since I plan on keeping my 986 for some time, it's a nice tool to have even it doesn't get too much use.

I'm curious of anyone uses the raw data to check for possible problems preemptively?

@ JayG, mine has also not registered my VIN, I emailed them about it, and the response was basically congrats on an extra free VIN.

@ BirdDog, I agree people should not buy the clones, mostly because I think people should support the company to help support the development of the software, but also because the clone cables can damage your car, and normally don't work very well, if at all.

NewArt 04-30-2016 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayG (Post 493970)
I bought my used and it was supposed to have 2 VINs left. Low and behold, it had 3.
The funny thing is, I have connected it to both my 986 and 996 and it still says 3 VINs left

Hmm, it seems fairly common then. Mine never registered my VIN either, but I'm not complaining! :)

rfuerst911sc 04-30-2016 04:17 AM

Bought mine used off of this forum. In my opinion a very useful tool for the DIYer .

Pdwight 04-30-2016 04:29 AM

Vag Cable

Is this it ?

VAG COM VAS Diagnostic Kit

Chuck W. 04-30-2016 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000 (Post 493978)
I wish there was a comprehensive guide to understanding the raw data the Durametric provides because if I knew what it all meant, I would use it a lot more often.

I have had my Boxster since new and do a lot of the DIY stuff. I had a code that was a pain to chase down and have no doubt the Durametric would have pointed me to the problem a lot quicker than it took me to find it; it was a bad MAF.

But, from all of the posting I have read and looked at how all of the data is displayed, it appears there is a ton of data that is extremely hard to decipher.

Gilles 04-30-2016 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck
But, from all of the posting I have read and looked at how all of the data is displayed, it appears there is a ton of data that is extremely hard to decipher.

+ 1 ....LOL

I also have the Durametric, but unfortunately I don't know how to read many of it's functions.

Perhaps we need to spend more time playing with it to learn to use it properly...?

Pdwight 04-30-2016 09:41 AM

Perhaps

More of the experienced members could chip in comments and techniques. Do we need a Durametric Tips and Tricks section ???

JayG 04-30-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 494028)
More of the experienced members could chip in comments and techniques. Do we need a Durametric Tips and Tricks section ???

Go for it Dwight!

KevinH1990 04-30-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewArt (Post 493993)
Hmm, it seems fairly common then. Mine never registered my VIN either, but I'm not complaining! :)

I bought a used one off of this forum for $100. It was supposed to have two VIN's left but it had 3. I thought that the original owner might not have used it. I'll need to check if my VIN is registering.

Even if I had paid full price, the Durametric would have paid for itself by now. If you can avoid the inconvenience of flat bedding the car to a shop when the CEL is flashing just once, you will be glad you made the investment.

tommy583 04-30-2016 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 494028)

YES I would absolutely love that. I have one but don't know what 75% of the data means. It would be nice to know just what every name on the data page means.

78F350 04-30-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pdwight (Post 493996)

I think that may be a knock-off version.
Here is the Official Site and there is a list of distributors: Ross-Tech: Home

I got a knock-off version from ebay or amazon for about $10 to get a look at it. Now I'm on the fence about whether to get an official Durametric or VCDS. The VAG-COM/VCDS is more capable for Audi/VW cars than Durametric is for Porsche, but does not support many of the Porsche modules. Anyone do much with the VCDS on a 986?

Gilles 04-30-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy583 (Post 494036)
YES I would absolutely love that. I have one but don't know what 75% of the data means. It would be nice to know just what every name on the data page means.

Tommy, after reading your message and the ones below I feel much better, knowing that I am not alone.. ha.

A Durametric Tech. Section would be very helpful for the rookies like myself :-)

ccjazz 04-30-2016 11:50 AM

I ordered a new Durametric Pro version last fall....only because that was the only version they had left in stock, otherwise the Enthusiast would have been fine.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet but did some searching and came across a link that some may find useful.

Durametric Logging 101: How to Log, What to Log, and What to do with it Afterwards - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

I can't verify the accuracy of the info as I haven't tried it yet and it is a few years old, but might be interesting reading for some of us.

:cheers:

BirdDog 04-30-2016 03:37 PM

ccjazz - thanks for the link! I'll definitely check it out when I have some time.

Ouch on having to buy a Pro cable! Those are double the price... Worth it if you have a shop or more than 3 Porsches, and I think they let you do a few extra things, but...